Paul W.S. Anderson - Not such a big AvP fan after all.

Started by Pseudo, Mar 17, 2007, 03:04:59 AM

Author
Paul W.S. Anderson - Not such a big AvP fan after all. (Read 3,788 times)

Pseudo

Was it just me or did anyone else think his statement that he was the "biggest" Aliens / Predator fan on earth a little insulting?  I mean, aside from the fact that the AvP storyline was sh*t (we all know it should have just been predators seeding earth, aliens going wild and a big three way fight between aliens, predators and the USCMC), there's the little things that he f*cked up.  The predator's thermal vision, the way they were all so top-heavy, the dodgy looking hair, the tiny mouth, the terrible sound effect for the shoulder cannon, the ham-fisted attempt of using them as a way of explaining pyramids and so on.

Or is it just me?

Darkness

Yeah, that always annoyed me. He's certainly not a fan of the previous Predator films, that's for sure.

topman

agreed ;D
now i wanna see how good AVP 2 will be :)

Vader the White

He is no way the biggest AVP fan or the movie would be a least 2x better.

Newsfop

What fan of Predator calls the plasma caster a hair dryer?

Darkness

Quote from: Newsfop on Mar 18, 2007, 05:54:53 PM

When did he say that?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Newsfop on Mar 18, 2007, 05:54:53 PM

A rabid, foaming at the mouth Alien fan.

-Rakai'Thwei

P.S. I don't mean to offend Alien fans by that comment, which was not my intent but Anderon is a rabid one and pissed off one half of the fans...

Newsfop

Quote from: Darkness on Mar 18, 2007, 05:59:04 PMWhen did he say that?

In the production documentary on the 2nd disc of the AVP: Unrated Edition, he snarks on the bladed throwing disc from Predator 2 saying it looks too much like a frisbee and the plasma casters as being hairdryers.

Darkness

Hmm, can't remember that. I remember him saying the shoulder cannon in Predator 2 looked like a mobile phone, though. Or something like that.

Newsfop

I just thought it was a bit much to belittle the plasma caster in that way. Besides, it doesn't matter what size the gun is when you're launching plasma bolts. It was small and uncumbersome.  And on the same note, he also said that if you wanted to survive an Alien movie, all you had to do was stand in the middle of the room because they can't get away from the walls.

scarface

He is not a pred or alien fan, predatoids, gimme a break.

Vader the White

I hate that man. I hope he wets his pants in public 25 times in a row every day. (It's much better that killing him.)

SM

QuoteWas it just me or did anyone else think his statement that he was the "biggest" Aliens / Predator fan on earth a little insulting?

Not really.

Many people proclaim to be big Alien and Predator fans - but they couldn't write a script to save their lives either.

Joss Whedon claimed to be a big Alien fan too.

Anyone seeing a moral here?

Uncanny Antman

Yeah, the moral of the story is don't let self-proclaimed fanboys write an Alien and/or Predator film.  (Also Trek, but that's another story.)

Makes sense...almost all fan fiction sucks ass anyway, so taking said fanfic and making it into a movie doesn't make it any good.  You just end up with expensive shit.

That said, it's clear that Anderson is an Alien fan, and not a Predator fan.  (Although he shows almost as much disdain for the Alien as the Pred in his flick)  And I can't recall a single interview where he didn't rag on Alien 3 & 4, and Predator 2.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Mar 19, 2007, 03:03:35 AM
Yeah, the moral of the story is don't let self-proclaimed fanboys write an Alien and/or Predator film.  (Also Trek, but that's another story.)

That, I find, to be wrong. Trek fans write better Trek than TPTB. They also wrote some of the best TNG stuff and a lot of Trek virtual series are better written than the later Trek shows.

I don't think fanboys shouldn't be allowed to write, untalented fanboys maybe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed