How would Wolf know when the cleaning was complete?

Started by AlienatedPredator, Oct 18, 2007, 12:41:56 PM

Author
How would Wolf know when the cleaning was complete? (Read 1,677 times)

Sgt.Torque Reikan

Quote from: echobbase79 on Oct 18, 2007, 02:14:46 PM

Maybe when the town gets blown to hell.

thats what I was thinking

Docta Jekyll

"Perhaps all the confrontations are as a result of it trying to fight its way out of the town, instead of hunting them..."

??? so he goes to eliminate the problem, he is the cleaner sent on the extermination mission, and he goes there just to end up trying to escape, that'd be one crappy cleaner, that would almost insult how 'professional' wolf is supposed to be, I mean, he was sent there alone in the first place because someone, whether it was him or whatever predator, was sure he could contain it, it would be a bad move, from a filmmaking standpoint, to have him end up not being the best pred for the job

SM

Quoteit would be a bad move, from a filmmaking standpoint, to have him end up not being the best pred for the job

No that'd be GOOD.  Otherwise where's the drama in him being SuperPred (TM) and him killing everything in sight with God mode on?  It'd be boring, weaken the Aliens, and therefore weaken the Predator.  Better to have it SEEM like he's not the best Pred for the job, and then somehow overcome it.

Gates

Because Wolf is the bestest, most superest, most badass predator ever and ever and forever... :-X

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Docta Jekyll on Oct 19, 2007, 04:41:40 AM
??? so he goes to eliminate the problem, he is the cleaner sent on the extermination mission, and he goes there just to end up trying to escape, that'd be one crappy cleaner, that would almost insult how 'professional' wolf is supposed to be, I mean, he was sent there alone in the first place because someone, whether it was him or whatever predator, was sure he could contain it, it would be a bad move, from a filmmaking standpoint, to have him end up not being the best pred for the job

You misunderstand. If my theory's correct (which isn't very likely), then he's not trying to clean up the Alien contamination, due to Predators not really giving a shit about whether the planet becomes a hive world or not. Instead, the Predator would be exclusively here to clean up the technology problem. They don't want humans getting hold of any.

Under those circumstances, Aliens would be of secondary consideration. Destroying the ship would be the primary and only mission goal.

It would at least explain why only one of them was sent. I know Crom pointed out the analogy with the Terminator, but a military-grade machine going back in time to kill an unarmed, unprepared young woman is a very different thing to trying to wade your way through an entire Alien nest. Especially if the 'body count' preview is any indication of how many there are.

Quote from: SM on Oct 19, 2007, 04:56:02 AM
No that'd be GOOD.  Otherwise where's the drama in him being SuperPred (TM) and him killing everything in sight with God mode on?  It'd be boring, weaken the Aliens, and therefore weaken the Predator.  Better to have it SEEM like he's not the best Pred for the job, and then somehow overcome it.

That's always been my view. A truly formidable character needs to be built up by overcoming odds through a combination of intelligence and skill. Just planting one out in the open and making it invulnerable is not the way to go. There's no character development.

We shall see which path this story chooses.

Quote from: Gates on Oct 19, 2007, 05:30:18 AM
Because Wolf is the bestest, most superest, most badass predator ever and ever and forever... :-X

In the whole wide world!

:D

Docta Jekyll

SM, I think you misunderstood, I never said it had to be easy for him to do what he was doing, it needs to be difficult, all I was saying is I didn't want Wolf running away from the aliens, trying to escape the city, I would rather have him stand, fight, and die, whether he can win or not, then try to escape, thats a Scar thing...

AlienatedPredator

Quote from: Docta Jekyll on Oct 19, 2007, 07:58:07 AM
SM, I think you misunderstood, I never said it had to be easy for him to do what he was doing, it needs to be difficult, all I was saying is I didn't want Wolf running away from the aliens, trying to escape the city, I would rather have him stand, fight, and die, whether he can win or not, then try to escape, thats a Scar thing...

I'll just add that the wrist-bomb makes little sense; if that was an option why not just detonate the thing right away instead of engaging a bunch of xenos up close first? There has to be some reason why he's taking them out one at a time instead of nuking the town.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Docta Jekyll on Oct 19, 2007, 07:58:07 AM

But 'Scar' did stand and fight. They still wore the helm when they got outside. They would know the ship was nearby. They could have just signalled for it to vaproise the Queen, but instead stood their ground and tried to take it out.

Remember how Vasquez and Drake are running back, doing their best to lay down suppressive fire, but with the Aliens coming and coming and coming... That's how it would be if a Predator tried going into a nest on its own. Just sending one back makes absolutely no sense, which is why I've got hopes it's been sent there only to destroy the scattered technology. The stuff might be able to survive a nuclear weapon, which could be why it needs to use this 'implosion' device on it.

What would sending just a single Predator hope to achieve, if the objective is meant to be eliminating the Aliens?

Again, that's not how even the most elite of Special Forces operate. They send in teams. No matter how individually hard and experienced each is, they can cover one another and get a single task done in a quicker way.

megachu17

wolf also seems 2 be tracking chet since if he was just there to distroy the ship, he could do that and be done in about 20 min, i think hes trying 2 eleminate any trace of pred dna on earth also by killing the hybrid and hes only dealing with the human/aliens if they get in his way.

Master

I feel tah it could be "300" with Wolf as Leonidas and other Spartans, and Chet as Xerksez and other aliens as Persian army, and with humans as Stupid barbarians in the middle ;D

WisePredator

Wolf has Jedi powers, that's how he knows his mission is done, he can sense them. :P
Seriously though, he might have what Celtic had, a 3-D map.

Quote from: Gates on Oct 19, 2007, 05:30:18 AM

You mispelt "badassest" :P

Docta Jekyll

It was still a fairly wuss thing to do, if simply detaching your nuke, and using that against the enemy, and getting the hell out of dodge was an option, why not do it from the start, the whole point is that the predators complete their right of passage, or lose, and nothing survives

its just a dumb thing to do to detach the wrist bomb, it just screams chiken sh!t, if Scar was f**ked, he needed to deal with it, another reason on how AVP screwed with the predators.

SiL

All the Predators have been chicken shits by that reasoning.

First Predator? Ran away at the sight of Mac. He totally should've stood there while everyone else charged on his ass and opened up.

Second Predator? Was about to blow himself up on the side of the building. When that failed, he went home crying to daddy.

What Scar did was hardly out of character. He'd done what he had to do - Kill an Alien and blood himself - and now he was completely outnumbered and pretty much screwed. He'd completed his mission, and went about cleaning up the mess.

Tundro

Quote from: SiL on Oct 20, 2007, 12:21:38 AM
First Predator? Ran away at the sight of Mac. He totally should've stood there while everyone else charged on his ass and opened up.

Wouldn't you run from somebody with a Minigun?  The first Predator was reckless not stupid.

SiL

That's kind of my point.

The first Predator ran from overwhelming odds, and so did Scar. But does the first Predator get berated for it? No.

Scar was hardly in a position where he could then go and hunt down all the Aliens. What he did was smart.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed