Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 74,992 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 24, 2020, 05:09:03 PM
Alien is all about the employees of big corporate entity being stripped of their rights and sent down to survey a signal under forfeiture of shares for work that they had already completed, with their lives quite literally put on the line in order to preserve a specimen for the company. If that isn't saying anything about workers rights in a corporate workspace, I don't really know what is.

I wouldn't say Alien is all about this, nor the majority experience of those who kick back, have a beer and give Alien a go on the old telly. It's subtle enough not to notice, yet prominent enough for those to pick through with deeper analysis. Aliens too.

Nightmare Asylum

The only way it isn't there is if you are choosing to ignore it. Which is exactly what people are doing when they claim that "modern" films are political while the "classic" ones that they grew up with are not.

Just because they didn't pick up on what's there doesn't mean that the film didn't put it forward, nor does it mean that the filmmakers behind contemporary outings don't have the justification to use their art to explore whatever ideas and messages that they see fit.

Immortan Jonesy

Everything has been, is and will be political. Even the entertainment. Below you've Disney's anti-Nazi propaganda (1943).

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 25, 2020, 03:33:53 PM
The only way it isn't there is if you are choosing to ignore it. Which is exactly what people are doing when they claim that "modern" films are political while the "classic" ones that they grew up with are not.

Just because they didn't pick up on what's there doesn't mean that the film didn't put it forward, nor does it mean that the filmmakers behind contemporary outings don't have the justification to use their art to explore whatever ideas and messages that they see fit.

First you say they are choosing to ignore it. Then you say they didn't pick up on it?

You're arguing things I didn't argue. I never said if it's subtle, it doesn't mean the film didn't put it forward nor doesn't have the justification to do so. I'm just observing that Alien is subtle enough that many who watch Alien just see a great atmospheric monster movie, not a statement about "workers rights in a corporate workspace".  I'm not arguing for or against the general need for a subtle hand, just that subtlety exists in Alien.

Nightmare Asylum

But it really isn't subtle though. It is the very thing that kicks off the plot. The characters literally sit around a table arguing about it.

As for my comment about the "justification" to do so, that was more in response to earlier comments in this thread about how Marvel is "ruining" things by getting political now, not specifically what you were saying. I should have been more clear about that in how I structured my post.

Immortan Jonesy

Voodoo is wrong. It isn't subtle at all.To say that it is, is a bit of a stretch.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

A non subtle statement about "workers rights in a corporate workspace?" We agree to disagree my friend!  :)

SiL

SiL

Guy who bitches about getting underpaid the whole movie cursing out the Company, asking "The damn company. What about our lives, you son of a bitch?" and angrily torching the corporate shill sent to jeopardize them all for profit after being told their lives are completely disposable really isn't subtle.

Nightmare is right. Politics have always been there, and they've always been worn on the films' respective sleeves.

Immortan Jonesy

Even in, more or less recent times,

Wasn't the prequel trilogy in Star Wars quite political anyway?  :laugh:

SM

QuoteThe only way it isn't there is if you are choosing to ignore it. Which is exactly what people are doing when they claim that "modern" films are political while the "classic" ones that they grew up with are not.

In a nutshell.

I think many people have trouble accepting that politics pervades everything because it means having to question if they're the baddies.

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 25, 2020, 04:18:46 PM

First you say they are choosing to ignore it. Then you say they didn't pick up on it?

You're arguing things I didn't argue. I never said if it's subtle, it doesn't mean the film didn't put it forward nor doesn't have the justification to do so. I'm just observing that Alien is subtle enough that many who watch Alien just see a great atmospheric monster movie, not a statement about "workers rights in a corporate workspace".  I'm not arguing for or against the general need for a subtle hand, just that subtlety exists in Alien.

I'm one of those people. I had never picked up on the workers rights, or other plot points in the movies until I started frequenting this forum. It's not something that I chose to ignore, though it is worth mentioning that (only being a very casual viewer of the movies) I never really paid attention to the other threads of the plot besides the main horror element.

It may be less about subtly and more about how individuals watch movies/listen to music/etc. I know when watching The Twilight Zone, it's much easier for me to appreciate the message because I find them incredibly obvious  :laugh:

Immortan Jonesy

I'm just observing that Alien is subtle enough that many who watch Alien just see a great atmospheric monster movie, not a statement about "workers rights in a corporate workspace".  I'm not arguing for or against the general need for a subtle hand, just that subtlety exists in Alien.

This makes me appreciate this universe even more. Even if I go to see an atmospheric monster movie, I'm going to get more than a typical flicks about monsters eating people.

Although it all depends on who is directing. But as some says...there is the real magic; different talents = different takes from the original concept.  :laugh:

Quote from: Wysps on Oct 25, 2020, 10:00:32 PM

I'm one of those people. I had never picked up on the workers rights, or other plot points in the movies until I started frequenting this forum. It's not something that I chose to ignore, though it is worth mentioning that (only being a very casual viewer of the movies) I never really paid attention to the other threads of the plot besides the main horror element.

It may be less about subtly and more about how individuals watch movies/listen to music/etc. I know when watching The Twilight Zone, it's much easier for me to appreciate the message because I find them incredibly obvious  :laugh:

Subtle or not, I must admit that I have not always been aware of how political movies and the entertainment industry in general can be. But again, I used to find the lunch scene in Jurassic Park boring af, until I grew up, with the scene also growing in me. I guess it is due to learning and personal maturity.

Also, I don't think there is always direct government pressure. After all, politics affect our lives. So I can imagine an artist addressing political and contingency issues in his/her works.

Some may be obvious and others more subtle. However, one thing is for sure  ;D

SiL

I think it's also whether those politics align with your beliefs or not.

I think most people would watch Alien and think "yeah, companies sure do suck". It's not a challenge to their beliefs so it doesn't register as a political statement.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Oct 25, 2020, 11:15:07 PM

I think most people would watch Alien and think "yeah, companies sure do suck". It's not a challenge to their beliefs so it doesn't register as a political statement.

Or they have no strong beliefs either way. Some believe some companies are good, some companies suck, and in Alien they're simply featuring one that sucks (and then some.) Basically if no statements come across as blanket statements, it never feels inherently political.

When it's subtle, many only find subtext, when they're looking for subtext.

Quote from: Wysps on Oct 25, 2020, 10:00:32 PM

Thanks for sharing Wysps! :)

Immortan Jonesy

l remember someone here at AVPGalaxy interpreting Prometheus as white supremacy propaganda  :laugh:

Of course he was wrong.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 25, 2020, 11:15:07 PM

Then I guess if I were a far right...I'll go nuts and scream  "white genocide" if the next Superman movie feature a Black Superman, who's is also an atheistic gay superhero.

On the other hand, if I were a far left...I'm going to be very upset if the entertainment industry continues to ignore the inclusion of non-Western actors/actricess for non-Western roles that are often played by western actors/actricess.

And in the middle of everything, if I were apolitical...I am virtually a hypocritical, useless and somewhat cynical person. I am not part of the problem, but I am not the solution either.

F**k! I am part of the problem!  :-X

That's too much pressure on my brain.

I'm a simple man. I just wanted to see a movie about a penis-headed parasite that uses rape as reproduction. Whyyy is everything so complicated and dark these days !!!?  :'(

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 26, 2020, 12:32:12 AM
When it's subtle, many only find subtext, when they're looking for subtext.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed