Alien Resurrection Re-evaluated

Started by The Old One, Oct 19, 2019, 01:16:49 PM

Author
Alien Resurrection Re-evaluated (Read 11,732 times)

SM

SM

What was that base they fight at?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

That is my point though.  They went in there would there would be absolutely no need to do so.  Put a couple of spy satellites in orbit, watch for movement, send aerial bombardment to mass formations. 

They could spend eternity inside the planets crust, but so what?

They were getting glassed at the beginning because they tried to invade the surface. 

The long range intersolar attacks the bugs were doing to earth were impossible. 

There were no civilian considerations, so no need to fight the bugs at their game.  That is literally the only way they have a chance is for you to fight them like they did. 

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Oct 30, 2019, 11:31:28 PM
What was that base they fight at?

This?

https://starshiptroopers.fandom.com/wiki/Whiskey_Outpost

Yeah, not sure what that thing was there for. 

SM

SM

I thought the MI were responding to a distress signal or something?  Been ages since I watched that flick.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Firstly there was some Mormons or some shit who got attacked for being in bug space.

Then after they cleared a planet the mobile infantry set up a base that was overrun. 

But so much of the exposition in that movie is propaganda, who really know what the f**k happened when you arent with Johnny Rico and crew. 

Still Collating...

I adore the movie, but of course, agree that realistic military strategies were lacking to say the least. Not unlike most action sci fi, sadly.

And the bugs chucking asteroids at Earth from light years away makes me laugh every time I think about it, that was the cherry on top as far as the ridiculousness went.

Still, it's an intelligent satirical flick, a great blend of pure dumb fun with it's action and the thought provoking subtext it implies.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Oct 30, 2019, 10:15:02 PM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 30, 2019, 07:27:29 PM
And it's something I'm glad we never got, absolute trite.

So you were happy with
ALIEN Resurrection
Alien Vs Predator (On modern day earth)
Aliens vs Predator Requiem (On modern day earth)
Prometheus
Alien Covenant

Instead?

If I am splitting hairs they were all lousy sequels.

A photo real ALIENS- Earth War set in the future would've been far more agreeable in 1997.

That's an impressive strawman, friendo

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 30, 2019, 11:04:07 PM
Earth war needs to happen but it doesn't need to happen SST like.

No military logic applied in the movie at all.  If you have air superiority like that and NO civilians to worry about you'd absolutely glass the arachnid planets.  You wouldnt send anybody in until you could skate on the surface.

Earth war needs to be earned or it's just trash. If it was done on-screen at all then the streaming series idea is vastly preferable to an uncertain number of movie installments. But I'd rather not risk it at all because it has a ninety-something percent chance of sucking ass.

Quote from: SM on Oct 31, 2019, 01:47:24 AM
I thought the MI were responding to a distress signal or something?  Been ages since I watched that flick.

The Brain Bug puppeteered an officer to bait the Troopers into an ambush.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 31, 2019, 01:25:08 AM
That is my point though.  They went in there would there would be absolutely no need to do so.  Put a couple of spy satellites in orbit, watch for movement, send aerial bombardment to mass formations. 

They could spend eternity inside the planets crust, but so what?

They were getting glassed at the beginning because they tried to invade the surface. 

The long range intersolar attacks the bugs were doing to earth were impossible. 

There were no civilian considerations, so no need to fight the bugs at their game.  That is literally the only way they have a chance is for you to fight them like they did.

There were civillian considerstions. The bugs were coming out of the ground and redirecting meteorites, deviating them from their course using bug plasma. One killed millions of human civilians in Buenos Aires. Ariel bombings and surface attacks were inefective on bug planets and any spy satellites would be quickly destroyed by bug plasma.

Also, it's a movie. ;)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

No civilian considerations on the arachnid planets.  It's not like Afghanistan where you have to try and differentiate friend and foe, so you don't murder innocents. Everybody on the Arachnid planet was an enemy.

METT-TC boys

StrangeShape

Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 27, 2019, 03:22:50 PM
I saw it in theaters back in '97. I was always very vocal about my absolute distaste for Resurrection. I had posts half a page long with numbered points and photos explaining what I hate about the movie and how it ruined the mythology for me. I still cant argue many of those points, and I believe I was right that Resurrection did take away the eerieness and mystique of the first three, but I also have to admit I do appreciate it more now. Maybe its not a gritty, shadows-in-the-dark in the hallways and cellar type of a thing and leans more towards scifi aspect than the previous three, but I do appreciate its peculiarity and 90's cinema feel to it. Or perhaps in the light of Covenant, which I thought was the worst and the most bland Alien related thing ever released I looked at Res in a different light. Back in the days it ruined the saga for me and I didnt come back untill the Alien Directors Cut was hitting theaters in 2001. Similarly, Covenant completely watered down what I loved about the original film, but Isolation brought it all back

Im backpedaling on my comments. Tried to watch it its just as terrible to me as Mortal Kombat 2 and the characters look like you can swap them between both movies. Still think at least in some areas its much better than Covenant which for me was the most uninspired, bland and TV looking big budget movie Ive ever seen

Local Trouble

Can you repost one of your old rants again without the broken image links then?  :)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 05, 2020, 02:45:09 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 27, 2019, 03:22:50 PM
I saw it in theaters back in '97. I was always very vocal about my absolute distaste for Resurrection. I had posts half a page long with numbered points and photos explaining what I hate about the movie and how it ruined the mythology for me. I still cant argue many of those points, and I believe I was right that Resurrection did take away the eerieness and mystique of the first three, but I also have to admit I do appreciate it more now. Maybe its not a gritty, shadows-in-the-dark in the hallways and cellar type of a thing and leans more towards scifi aspect than the previous three, but I do appreciate its peculiarity and 90's cinema feel to it. Or perhaps in the light of Covenant, which I thought was the worst and the most bland Alien related thing ever released I looked at Res in a different light. Back in the days it ruined the saga for me and I didnt come back untill the Alien Directors Cut was hitting theaters in 2001. Similarly, Covenant completely watered down what I loved about the original film, but Isolation brought it all back

Im backpedaling on my comments. Tried to watch it its just as terrible to me as Mortal Kombat 2 and the characters look like you can swap them between both movies. Still think at least in some areas its much better than Covenant which for me was the most uninspired, bland and TV looking big budget movie Ive ever seen

You have seen the light...

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah apart from the fact Covenant is superior in every regard.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 05, 2020, 02:48:37 AM
Can you repost one of your old rants again without the broken image links then?  :)

It looks like theyre all still there, so here is a repost

So let me explain why I dislike Res, I did before but most images expired.

For me it undermined everything the series was. It was the only movie that was in a large part a spoof and in part a black comedy. I hated Ripley turning into a Marvel superpower mutant with a cliche Holywood John McClain attitude. But, everyones entitled to their own opinion, for me its one of the movies I dislike the most, if not the most and it completely ruined the series for me.

In Alien I see sets that could easily pass for interiors of an old submarine or a cargo naval ship. In Aliens I see sets that could easily pass for a power plant or cargo storage. In Alien 3 I can see sets that look like old infirmaries or led works. In Resurrection I see spaceship and futuristic Trekkie thing with silly breath locks. I dont mind if its clean, but clean doesnt mean unused and brand new like its just been taken out of a factory. Nostromo's dining room and livabale space was clean too, but the ship was for a fact an old batter ship, and it had rumbling engines, leaks and seemingly old machinery in its guts. Sulaco was the same - its liveable space was clean, but not new, not sterile and the ship was rambling all the time. We didnt see its guts. It seemed real, the dock bay, the chains etc. Auriga was your average spacey scifi ship with every corridor and room looking like its just been polished. Nostromo looked very crude and industrial in its interiors, Sulaco looked not far removed from Naval storages (docking bay) and your average mess hall (stainless steel everywhere). Auriga didnt resemble anything, it was this futuristic scifi labolatory in space with evil scientists and genetic experiments - nothing we can attach too. Not an old transporting ship, not docking bays, not flight control towers or nuclear plants. Nothing real. Used doesnt mean stained or dirty. Its about the design, the look, the feel.
If you take shots of some location on Nostromo and show to someone , that someone wouldnt tell its a scifi movie spaceship. They could think its a submarine interior for example (just an example out of many)

Same with Aliens, show atmopshere processor and people would think its a power plant, show Operations, people would think its a flight control tower interior. No one would say its obviously a futuristic sci fi action atmpshere processor on a different planet or a colony communication room in a distant planet colony

Same with Alien3. Show some shots people would think its infermary or regular dining mess hall, or even a church instead of a space colony on other planet.

Nothing like this in Resurection tho, Star Trekkie scifi all the way

The Alien trilogy I love almost equally. It had a lot of common traces, and the strong link to our reality, way of life, environments and characters was one of them, and one of the things that set this series apart form other scifi series'. It was also the first to do this, to present that blue collar environment in characters as well as designs that we can connect to, that we subconciously recognize. Resurection swept that away and reduced the series to that random and common futuristic scifi look. Even the scientists have suits like admiral suits from Star Wars

Why the need for some whacky futuristic sterile space uniforms? Clemens had a well known gowns, yet he was over a century in the future. Thats what set the first 3 alien movies apart from other scifi. The alien series went from 2 engineers in shirts and baseball caps talking about paycheck, food and pussy on a towing cargo ship to evil scientists on a floating genetic laboratory and space pirates with custom clothes...

And Alien was set over a century from now, yet it looks like a recognizable, old machinery, clothes and everything. That was that distinctive thing about the trilogy, future that seemed like today or a past. No labs, no futuristic uniforms

The Alien trilogy I love almost equally. It had a lot of common traces, and the strong link to our reality, way of life, environments and characters was one of them, and one of the things that set this series apart form other scifi series'. It was also the first to do this, to present that blue collar environment in characters as well as designs that we can connect to, that we subconciously recognize. Resurection swept that away and reduced the series to that random and common futuristic scifi look

The Betty crew is another reason why I hate this movie. Those people look like video game characters. Tough guy with dreadlock with double guns shooting upside down like its Die Hard, handicapped funny guy with gadgets, Pearlman with muscles and one liners, and those outfits. They look and act like video game characters and Mortal Kombat rejects. The beauty of the first 3 Alien movies was that characters reflected the real characters of our times. The Nostromo crew was like a typical, next door blu collar working class neighbor. Aliens showed the Vietnam era soldiers who act like typical young draftees (I lived in a country where youre still drafted to army so I knew plenty of young draftees and the SUlaco team is a mirror reflection of them). The prisoners of Alien 3 were bold, obnoxious and pretty much acting like any slimes in prisons. The Betty crew? When we first see him its even a pose like form a video game. Theyre too colorful, visually disconnected and again, in short, theyre video game characters

Good luck finding a bunch like the Betty crew in real life. On TV maybe

People in Alien

people in Aliens

people in Alien 3

People in Resurection

They are like Mortal Kombat rejects/characters that would fit the video game, both visually and with their behavior, or rap metal 90s looking band. Gone are the regular, dirty convict clothes, the hawaian shirts or the US military uniform, replaced with silly designer clothes. And they were typical over the top action characters.Not to mention the eight clone of Ripley and the Queen played by Weaver, who was a superhero almost, being a mutant with superpowers with a cocky personality of Van Diesel, and we had scenes like the fancy double gun shooting straight out of Die Hard. Cmon. No reality to the characters at all, only fiction and in your face Mel Brooks type of a humor. And even the battered space is gone. Another thing is that the trilogy showed the alien only in quick cuts, as shadows or in the darkness or mist. Res shows them in full bright light and the camera focuses on them for a looong time. And the list goes on and on
Again, the real life aspect of the trilogy is completely gone. Need I mention the breath-analyzing doors and all that kind of stuff...Thank god its outside of the trilogy's storyline. WY doesnt exist, Ripley's still dead and the action happens in a very distant and over the top future

And that humor...

In (very) short:

-its not taking itself seriously
-the Mel brooks humor
-comic book-ish elements that could fit with X-Men, like the superstrong, Holywood tough mutant with superpowers and extra senses ( ::))
-focus is on shooting bad monsters, not on characters (about the only moment is the brief clone room scene, which is ruined anyway by yet another joke in the movie, spoken by Perlman)
-the characters are ridiculously looking and cartoony. They look like circus runaways
-Holywood cheese - the cartoon characters shooting with two guns upside down screaming. Superhero movie all the way
-aliens' mystique and name is ruined. While in other movies they were potrayed as shadowy figures that lure in the dark and are seen only for a split second, here theyre constantly shown full in broad light, and now trapped and trained like puppies

In ALien, we only see alien in the dark or in the mist. When we see him fully, its only in quick and distant cuts outside the shuttle

In Aliens, we only get to see the alien if we freeze fram as they mostly appear in the dark, as shadows and silhouettes

The alien queen even tho seen in full is in very low light in both the egg chamber (and even with the fire on the light is yellowy and not so bright) and even the loading bay is very dimly lit

In ALien 3 we see the runner in full light (althought dimmed as well) for one second in the infermary - as in other 2 movies, we only get to see him fully for a very quick cut. We do see the close closeups of its mouth sometimes, but the full body is always hidden by the orange light, darkness or mist

And here we have Resurrection in which camera focuses on the aliens like on people and we see them in a full, brightest light. No mystery, no suspense, and that way Im not scared of aliens at all since I saw this movie because I saw them as just slimy monsters, not some repulsive thing looming in the shadows. Its all about presentation. For example, this is the same design and same movement/scene. Yet lightning and presentation makes such a big difference

Anyway, the point is its one of million things which dont fit the original, serious and dark trilogy
People knew how alien looks like very well in 1979 already. The toys and posters showing detailed Giger's alien and all that. Yet in Aliens we've seen even less of the creature. And even by 1992, when everyone knew very well the alien after Aliens, we still saw it only partially hidden or in quick cuts. Res didnt care for that, there wasnt even any buildup to seeing the monster, once theyre adults - bam! we see them i full light and in long, focusing shots. And that roar...
Alien showed the creature in blinking light and mist and in the dark. Aliens showed aliens as shadows and silhouettes and the queen in a dark chamber and darkened bay. Alien 3 showed monster in quick cuts and in a mist. Res hides NOTHING and shows us everything in brightest light possible, with no quick cuts, nothing.

-music
-European style. I dont like French movies and by Jeunet own admission its a European movie with american production
-cinematography. I know the movie is crap but that doesnt mean everything has to be brown
-alien design. I mean Pumpkinhead, cause I havent seen any aliens there. Only Pumpkinheads with heads resembling ladybugs who growl like tigers. Theres no trace of the biomechanical monsters with sexual features like the penis head or vaginas and penises on the torso. Theyre now fleshy, muscular monsters

A:R is not only my most disliked movie with aliens but one of my most disliked movie in general. I even prefer the garbage that AVPR is over this because at least AVPR isnt a half parody with superhumans

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying I like AVPR, im not insane.

Im just saying that an abomination like AVPR even has a slight advantage because at least it tries to be serious and doesnt have superhumans from X-Men, John McClaine and a rock band in it. Not to mention the Pirates of the Carribean in that movie werent afraid at all. Even the gunho marines looked like they saw a ghost the entire time after the first encounter and were sweating from fear and tension. Even the big bad bold rapists and murderers were painting their pants brown once things got dicy. Yet here the tough guys who look like they escaped from a Mad max movie dont seem to care much

Its all everyones preference.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think the humor is what killed it the most for me.  Feels completely out of place when compared to the rest of the franchise. 

The costumes didnt really bother me, styles change, in 200 years who knows what the f**k we will be wearing, and who knows 200 years from that.  The smugglers didnt really look that aesthetically different from the prisoners anyway imo. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed