What are the good characters' bits in prequels?

Started by Kradan, Jun 23, 2019, 05:00:06 PM

Author
What are the good characters' bits in prequels? (Read 2,989 times)

Kradan

Kradan

I know that Alien prequels're notoriously known for not-so-great-developed characters but i'm curious to know: were there any really good characters' moments in Prometheus or Covenant?

I really like crew of Prometheus - Janek, Ravel and Chance. I think they were the most developed characters overall. I like that little bet about company plans that these two have throughout the film. I like that captain really cares about not bringing all that shit back to Earth. I love how they died, i think it was really heroic moment.

I think it's interesting that Milburn in the beginning of Prometheus kinda tries to earn Fifeld's friendship and that's for me the reason why he decides to go with him after they discovered dead Engineer.

Even if Holloway acted as a dick his death for me was really tragic and touching.

I liked how Oram feels unsure in himself and tries to find help from his wife. He tries to prove himself as decent captain and that's for me the main reason why he decides to investigate Planet 4, why he's stubborn and aren't willing to listen Daniels' objections.

Of course, i like Tennessee. Who doesn't? I like that back and forth that goes between him, Ricks and Upworth in regards to "save them or not?" I like the moment near the ending when he hugs Daniels 'cause they both have lost their relatives.

Walter was nice character too. He reminds me a lot of good ol' Bishop. I absolutely love that little dialogue he has with Daniels about "cabin on the lake".

And obviously despite all their flaws prequels present one really interesting character - David. He looks so innocent in Prometheus but in Covenant he really evil and powerfull. He like a curious child that found a way to build nuclear bomb.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Yes, is there a like button? Well said.

Now imagine you could keep all that and remove about 4 scenes how much better things would have turned out. Remove all no mask scenes from both movies, shoving your head in an xeno egg scene, and lost scientists turned brain dead scenes.

QuoteI really like crew of Prometheus - Janek, Ravel and Chance. I think they were the most developed characters overall. I like that little bet about company plans that these two have throughout the film.

That was actually the first scene that I thought of. A dance with Vickers, how bout that ay. Milburn's interactions in the begging as well.

Quotewere there any really good characters' moments in Prometheus?

I really liked every character scene in Prometheus until they landed on LV-223. And again after Fifeld's death. Between those 2 parts there were many inconsistencies with an IQ of a film. Vickers telling her Dad all things have an end is pretty intense too. I really liked Ford also, wish there could have been more scientific scenes between her, Shaw and David. They should have brought back more from the toomb in the Silo.

I wonder how much better this movie would have also been if he had some more TERROR moments towards the end, especially with the Deacon. Can't they add an extra 25-30 mins with the Deacon hunting them down somehow with David guiding Shaw on the mic and Vickers had she lived. They can still do it, why not? Maybe SM can bring it up.

Quoteor Covenant?
Pretty much the same thing, liked every character until they landed and everyone lost some IQ. I mean we had a guy that  shoved his nose in a mushroom for crying out loud. Replace that sh!t. Get him and the pissing dude facehugged. Thought the whole ending was just dumbed down action dialogue. There's nothing that really stands out to me. In a way, that's why Prometheus is better.

I did like the Daniels and Oram discussing if they should change tracks towards another exoplanet. Even though it took 30 seconds to discuss such a big change of plans...wouldn't they have waited some time to ask Weyland/NASA/Earth first?

0321recon

0321recon

Sadly most of the character moments I like are in the deleted scenes especially for Prometheus

Really dug the moment when Janek went to comfort Vickers after killing Holloway since it shows he's not a man's man, though he comes across as caring and wanting to relieve from pressure from Vickers since he had to do something similar before.

Surprised they cut the Shaw and Holloway scene were she and him get confrontational about the findings and her not having children. Since it showed her as a person who doesn't take anyone's bs...especially when she hits him.

Also, when Vickers confronts Weyland regarding wasting his last days trying to extend his existence than he being there for her.

with Covenant, really loved the David and Walter interactions. That's what made the film good. with the rest meh. don't care about them. They can fall into a xenomorph hole.

Nostromo

Every mission should have a Walter. Walter is kick ass great.
The only bad thing is it reduces terror instead of adding, he's such a big cushion to have should something go wrong. That's why Ash makes Alien much more terrifying too. But still, wish there's a Walter more often./ Same actor too.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Let me put it this way, and this goes for each as a whole.

Prometheus' characters had more potential, but more was squandered and even relegated to deleted scenes or edited out.
But Covenant's are flatter overall and some are no-names, but at the same time are more consistent and believable.

Huggs

In Prometheus, everything with David before the crew wakes.

In covenant, everything with Walter before the crew wakes.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Maybe Ridley should consider scrap the other characters and make an entire movie about Michael Fassbender doing things in space. Then roll the credits  ;D

Quote from: 0321recon on Jun 23, 2019, 05:53:39 PM
Sadly most of the character moments I like are in the deleted scenes especially for Prometheus

Really dug the moment when Janek went to comfort Vickers after killing Holloway since it shows he's not a man's man, though he comes across as caring and wanting to relieve from pressure from Vickers since he had to do something similar before.

Surprised they cut the Shaw and Holloway scene were she and him get confrontational about the findings and her not having children. Since it showed her as a person who doesn't take anyone's bs...especially when she hits him.

Also, when Vickers confronts Weyland regarding wasting his last days trying to extend his existence than he being there for her.

with Covenant, really loved the David and Walter interactions. That's what made the film good. with the rest meh. don't care about them. They can fall into a xenomorph hole.

I dig this one

The Old One

The Old One

You mean Alien
Spoiler
"Covenant"
[close]
;D

SM

QuoteMaybe SM can bring it up.

The what now?

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 24, 2019, 01:24:14 AM
Maybe Ridley should consider scrap the other characters and make an entire movie about Michael Fassbender doing things in space. Then roll the credits  ;D

Indeed.

Nostromo

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2019, 03:26:21 AM
QuoteMaybe SM can bring it up.

The what now?

Can you ask them to add an extra 15-30 mins running time towards the ending of Prometheus with the Deacon hunting down Shaw on the mic with David and Vickers had she lived.

Thanks.

SM

Oh, yeah.  Righto.

Highland

Covenant had big potential with the couples thing, but it's more like " Ah shit, my wifes dead, lets go get these things"

Prometheus Janek and Vickers have the largest potential but the back and forth between the ship and the base really cut the movie up. Both movies suffer a bit from pacing issues.

Speaks volumes with the best character is the Android in both films.

Still Collating...

D A V I D: There might or might not be aliens in this one...

I personally like the scene wit Daniels and Walter when they talk about the cabin on the lake. Sweet. And of course, anything with David/Walter. The first scene in Covenant with David and his daddy is also really nice IMO.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed