Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 81,656 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed- and again, to create profit you create value first and foremost, a complete Prequel Trilogy with the last entry being genuinely good and the original Alien Trilogy (+Resurrection) together is more valuable than a complete reboot, and it's an opportunity to set up the inevitable soft reboot. The Prequel series ending is imminent, the form though is all that's up for debate, I guarantee it.

Huggs

Maybe they will let those school kids do the third one?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2019, 01:27:41 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 16, 2019, 11:55:26 PM
There is going to be nothing to embrace because there isn't going to be a third prequel.

You gotta make money mang.  Law of diminishing returns.

They made money.

Prometheus did well, but it's quite possible that Covenant didn't break even at the box office. Hard to say for sure without knowing the exact marketing budget but it's likely.

However, former Fox chairperson and CEO, Stacey Snider did say that Covenant would be profitable for the company so it probably did ok on home release, rentals, streaming, broadcasting etc. Only thing is, sequels are usually commissioned on it's predecessors box office performance alone which does not bode too well for a Covenant sequel.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2019, 01:27:41 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 16, 2019, 11:55:26 PM
There is going to be nothing to embrace because there isn't going to be a third prequel.

You gotta make money mang.  Law of diminishing returns.

They made money.

They lost money with Alien Covenant, at least theatrically.

With a 97 Million budget, total ticket sales for Alien Covenant was 241 Million.

With the studio getting the most return from 74M ticket sales domestically (55 cents of every dollar) as well as the studio getting the least return from 45M ticket sales in China (25 cents of every dollar) and the percentage of rest of the countries fall in between, yeah, you do math and money was lost once you add any promotional dollars to the budget.

Now maybe it finally crept into the black after home video sales, I don't know, but unfortunately for the prequel fans I really doubt Disnox is going to see the downwards trend from Prometheus to Covenant and say... yeah, we want more of that. 

On a personal note, I'm ready to be finished with the prequels to be honest. Prometheus I like to think as standalone and Covenant I just don't think about. It's time to get back to actual Alien movies I think.  :)

razeak

Profit versus adequate profit.

I may be fuzzy on the details, but Disney infinity was profitable, but it wasn't profitable enough for investors.

Huggs

Prometheus did well because some people were still expecting an alien movie, it was being directed by the original director, and there hadn't been an alien movie since 1997.

Once the newness wore off and people realized the direction Scott was going, covenant didn't have an enormous chance. That and it sucked, and word of mouth hurt it. Either way, there's not going to be enough attention and money to make a third prequel worth it to the studio. We've already discussed how Scott might have to make the third movie for even less money if he even gets to do it.

Maybe the next film only makes $130mil total. It's a lose-lose probability, and I don't see the studio taking that risk. If they do, they're crazy and I'll love them for it. But that's not what's going to happen.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 17, 2019, 06:55:54 PM
Prometheus did well because some people were still expecting an alien movie

Actually I think it's the opposite. I knew several casual movie goers that had no idea it was connected to Alien. I'm talking casual moviegoers that don't read entertainment news. The trailers certainly didn't indicate as such to casual viewers, but rather a beautifully shot new science fiction horror film. And the trailer was glorious! :)

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, pity about the film itself.

Huggs

That's why I said some people.

Chris!(($$))!

They should give a finale to David's story whether it be a mini-series or one last movie. I'd like Ridley to be at the helm one last time for it too.

But then they should honestly do a "reboot" and really there doesn't even need to be an actual reboot. Its so easy to craft a story in the ALIEN universe that doesn't conflict with the movies.

Just have a crew of people find an alien vessel carrying eggs on some distant planet, boom setup. Just run it differently than ALIEN.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 17, 2019, 01:28:22 AM
Indeed- and again, to create profit you create value first and foremost, a complete Prequel Trilogy with the last entry being genuinely good and the original Alien Trilogy (+Resurrection) together is more valuable than a complete reboot, and it's an opportunity to set up the inevitable soft reboot. The Prequel series ending is imminent, the form though is all that's up for debate, I guarantee it.

Covenant sucked a big one at the box office. 

Prometheus made money, covenant was in the red.  When one of two movies you make in a trilogy doesn't make its money back, and then is bought by a juggernaut who only makes hits or else projects get canceled...

There isn't going to be a third prequel. 

See the standalone SW movies for a comparison.  Solo flopped.  Disney killed EVERY SW standalone movie, despite them only having the faintest of story connections.  Meanwhile, Covenant is a DIRECT sequel to Prometheus. 

I'm shaking the crystal ball and asking it about a third prequels.

I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies. 

Perfect-Organism

I'm not the biggest fan of Covenant, but I appreciate it enough, and certainly appreciate Ridley Scott enough (as the first director in the series) to hope that he gets a chance to finish his film series.  I'm not going to call it a trilogy because I don't think that is all he had in mind.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 18, 2019, 08:38:28 PM

She is pulling the plug on you now Ash.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Samhain13 on Aug 18, 2019, 08:43:17 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 18, 2019, 08:38:28 PM

She is pulling the plug now Ash.

And here comes Parker with his flame-thrower.

Huggs

Potentially losing millions to give unnecessary closure to a select amount of one particular fan base doesn't sound like a good financial decision.

They'll shelve it all for the foreseeable future, and approach it with fresh ideas down the road.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed