Predators, Psychics and Prophecies

Started by Frosty Venom, Mar 19, 2019, 08:48:10 AM

Author
Predators, Psychics and Prophecies (Read 1,129 times)

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Billy seemed to have something of a sixth sense regarding the Predator, becoming aware of the Jungle Hunter's presence, even though he could not see the creature. In the novelization he is said to be actively psychic, able to access the memories of his ancestors and the ancient Mayans who used to live in the jungle, and can sense the Predator's presence. When Hawkins and Blain were killed by the Predator, Billy accepted that they were all going to die by the creature's hand and insisted that the hunter was not human.

Similar themes are brought up again in Predator 2 with King Willie. While Harrigan was convinced the suspect was merely a hitman, King Willie believed otherwise; through his beliefs and superstitions, he came to believe that a "demon" was responsible, and that the unstoppable creature would likely be the death of them all. He was very superstitious and a practitioner of fortune-telling, specifically cleromancy, which he practiced using a handful of small animal bones. From this he claimed to gain knowledge of the future and other hidden events. It was supposedly through this fortune-telling that he became aware of the other-worldly nature of the City Hunter stalking Los Angeles.

The sequence where King Willie is killed is very similar to Billy's death in Predator, whereby viewers see the build-up to the fight and its aftermath, yet the battle itself occurs off-screen. Both Billy's and King Willie's skulls are taken as trophies.

In Predator: Big Game, Nakai faces a Predator who he believes is a Navajo legend come back to life: the return of the Horned Monster, who was destroyed by the hero Nayenezgani, the mythical Monster Slayer. To defeat this hunter he rediscovers his Navajo roots by following in the Monster Slayer's footsteps. Using the wisdom of his ancestors, Nakai confronts the Predator in a final battle. In this story, Nakai receives visions from the spirit world and there is a fulfilment of an ancient prophecy. Nakai's story is continued in Predator: Blood on Two-Witch Mesa, in which he finds out that his great-grandfather also witnessed a Predator attack 75 years earlier. Nakai suggests that it could have been the same Predator that attacked him.

Another example of the fulfilment of a prophecy is in Predator: Blood Feud. Shogun Tokugawa Tsunayoshi and his forces face sudden attack by a group of Yautja, ending in a final duel between one Yautja and a blind swordsman, chosen by Shinto monks. The monks make prophecy that the duel will continue in the future where the swordsman, in some form, will have to face the Yautja again in another duel. In the future, an age-old Yautja returns to modern day Japan to hunt a blind martial arts instructor — the descendant of an adversary it faced in feudal Japan centuries earlier.

So what does this mean for the Predator Universe? There evidently appears to be an otherworldly aspect playing in the background of these stories. Are there ancient prophecies being fulfilled? Are there psychics who can use the spirit world to access the memories of their ancestors to help them sense the presence of a Predator? Or is it simply these characters rationalising the events with their beliefs. Evidence seems to point to the former.

Credit to Xenopedia for the information.

SM

SM

Billy was a trained tracker.  Accordingly he could sense the Predator nearby because he'd trained his senses (hearing and smell) to be more highly attuned.  Sound simpler than getting into the fantastical.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

And the other examples?

Hanzo also deserves a mention. He acquires an ancient feudal Japanese Katana and faces a Predator in an honourable duel that leads to both the Predator's and his own death. The scene pays homage to the scene where Billy challenges the Jungle Hunter.

His name could be a reference to a highly skilled ninja from feudal Japan, Hattori Hanzo. Perhaps his ancestor who once wielded the very same Katana?

Voodoo Magic

Native Americans connections to the spirit world. Bone reading. That stuff is as old as time. Those ancient psychic ways are great for storytelling when your villian is a being that can't be seen. I don't personally take it any deeper than that.

Somewhat related, I remember reading a study that claimed Native American trackers with long hair outperformed those with a military cut. I believe it was equated to cat whiskers and the like. But basically, the long hair was theorized as an extension of the nervous system giving the trackers a sixth sense.

Billy powers explained! 

Samhain13

Considering the mess Predators do with dead bodies, can't be too hard to feel the smell of one getting close. I doubt Anytime took many baths during the weeks he was there.

SM

SM

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Mar 28, 2019, 11:29:52 AM
And the other examples?

Hanzo also deserves a mention. He acquires an ancient feudal Japanese Katana and faces a Predator in an honourable duel that leads to both the Predator's and his own death. The scene pays homage to the scene where Billy challenges the Jungle Hunter.

His name could be a reference to a highly skilled ninja from feudal Japan, Hattori Hanzo. Perhaps his ancestor who once wielded the very same Katana?

Hanzo stayed behind because he wanted to fight and had a racial stereotype to uphold.

King Willie had no doubt heard rumours about the something killing gangsters in LA and it played into his spiritual beliefs.

Nothing psychic or magical involved.

Frosty Venom

And the examples from the comics? Particularly Nakai as he's a main character in Predator Hunters I & II which I would think is canon.

SM

SM

Wouldn't know about the comics.  They seem to be their own thing.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Apr 03, 2019, 05:27:58 AM
And the examples from the comics? Particularly Nakai as he's a main character in Predator Hunters I & II which I would think is canon.

Yes, for ones who embrace the EU, I wouldn't see why not that is canon.

LastSonofKrypton

Billy was an expert tracker in a black ops team, his senses would have been dialed up to eleven.  He also would have enough combat experience to know the Green Berets wouldn't have been killed so easily by armed men, who didn't leave a single trace, no tracks, no spent shells.  He probably figured out that the killer wasn't human by putting all the pieces together, and given his native american heritage, it wouldn't be surprising if he believed somewhat that a supernatural entity was involved.  King Willie being a Voodoo Priest would have been a huge believer in the supernatural, and seeing the way his men and others were killed would have caused him to draw similar conclusions.  I don't think psychic abilities were a factor, but it's a cool theory

Resident4ever

Well, in the EU there is some evidence to the afterlife, in the Blood Feud comic, the protegonist is chosen by the japanese gods. Also, in the Big Game novel the spiritual world plays a bigger role. This is the only book that makes a prohecy about Predators:

According to the ancient navajos, the Predators are a punisment to humanity, because we lost our connection between prey and hunter, we think that we are the strongest, no one could harm humanity. So time to time the Predators come to to kick our ass, to remind us that this is not true. Well at least, this what the ancients navajos thought.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed