The Weyland-Yutani Report makes AVP canon?

Started by Frosty Venom, Feb 21, 2019, 05:32:44 AM

Author
The Weyland-Yutani Report makes AVP canon? (Read 13,632 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 22, 2019, 07:25:32 PM
ADF went rogue.
Perhaps, but FOX allowed and published it.

The Old One

The Old One

Or GTFO

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 22, 2019, 03:03:35 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 21, 2019, 06:28:47 PM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 21, 2019, 06:07:23 PM
It would be safe to assume then that The Predator is a part of this new canon (post Fire and Stone and Out of the Shadows) and the film canonizes AVP (2004), right?

Well I like my canon film-only / non-EU but I'll play along.  :)

You're basing it on the spear? Did anyone photo compare them, basically to identify if the spears are indeed a match and it's the same spear from AvP (2004)?  Because to me they look different, hence not a match, hence AvP (2004) has not been re-canonized.

This would mean AvP battles happened in this new canon, but not the exact events from AVP (2004).

https://66.media.tumblr.com/4519532701726aa9c373614879fc674a/tumblr_inline_o5nnuk0tfW1roe2gd_540.png

Unless you're going off of something else?

That is what I was referring to thanks for the comparison. To me they look pretty much the same and its an obvious reference to the film's events.

Maybe. I don't want to be one of those people who are so demanding for precision they'll argue ridges or something. One has four ridges, the other has five. No match!  :)  But the shape is different. The end of the shaft is different. The wrap color is different.

I guess what I'm saying is, if Shane Black told that prop maker "I want to see Lex's spear in the glass", that prop maker clearly didn't follow instructions. ;)

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 22, 2019, 09:46:02 PM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 22, 2019, 03:03:35 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 21, 2019, 06:28:47 PM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 21, 2019, 06:07:23 PM
It would be safe to assume then that The Predator is a part of this new canon (post Fire and Stone and Out of the Shadows) and the film canonizes AVP (2004), right?

Well I like my canon film-only / non-EU but I'll play along.  :)

You're basing it on the spear? Did anyone photo compare them, basically to identify if the spears are indeed a match and it's the same spear from AvP (2004)?  Because to me they look different, hence not a match, hence AvP (2004) has not been re-canonized.

This would mean AvP battles happened in this new canon, but not the exact events from AVP (2004).

https://66.media.tumblr.com/4519532701726aa9c373614879fc674a/tumblr_inline_o5nnuk0tfW1roe2gd_540.png

Unless you're going off of something else?

That is what I was referring to thanks for the comparison. To me they look pretty much the same and its an obvious reference to the film's events.

Maybe. I don't want to be one of those people who are so demanding for precision they'll argue ridges or something. One has four ridges, the other has five. No match!  :)  But the shape is different. The end of the shaft is different. The wrap color is different.

I guess what I'm saying is, if Shane Black told that prop maker "I want to see Lex's spear in the glass", that prop maker clearly didn't follow instructions. ;)

Staying true to things that have come before was not a strong point of that movie

Voodoo Magic

Ah, very true. Good point.

SuperiorIronman

The canon debate is weird to me because it's trying to make a unified timeline when that just doesn't work these days. Unfortunately Prometheus and Covenant screwed things up so it just doesn't work.

I look at it like this;
Alien (includes Quadrilogy and the Prequels)
Predator (includes Predator films and AVP)

On the Predator front you can also choose among yourselves if Darkhorse's reboot affects things or if the old EU suits you.

Trying to make a unified timeline wont work when they made flute-bot create the Alien. Two timelines just make things a bit more seamless.

The Old One

The Old One

You mean fortunately considering the quality of AVP and AVPR.

TurokSwe

TurokSwe

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Feb 27, 2019, 12:51:48 AM
The canon debate is weird to me because it's trying to make a unified timeline when that just doesn't work these days. Unfortunately Prometheus and Covenant screwed things up so it just doesn't work.

I look at it like this;

On the Predator front you can also choose among yourselves if Darkhorse's reboot affects things or if the old EU suits you.

Trying to make a unified timeline wont work when they made flute-bot create the Alien. Two timelines just make things a bit more seamless.

It sure is a weird debate, but for the reason that it's already been established and accepted for the last three decades that a single shared universe exists, and Prometheus and Covenant sure doesn't contradict this rather obvious fact (although they definitely confused and upset people).

Noting that David very clearly did NOT create the Aliens, but he merely produced his own variants and based them upon the black goo pathogen created by the Engineers and a pre-existing Ovomorph (Alien Egg) also created by the Engineers as revealed by the novel and an early script so that's settled already, and even if he did create them then that would be no problem either since The Predator declared time-travel as being a thing.

The actual canon objectively contains all twelve films (including Alien, Aliens, Predator, Predator 2, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, Alien vs. Predator, Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, Predators, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, and The Predator) regardless of what anyone thinks of any of these entries into this overall franchise. You can of course settle for your own head canon if you want but objectively this is the way it is and I prefer to take in the entire buffet as it actually is as I was never any big fan of head canons or fan-fiction or dividing already established cinematic universes.

The Alien, Predator, AVP, and Prometheus series are all connected, they're all canon, and that rubs some people the wrong way for some odd reason but it's the truth nevertheless, and I always thought this idea of two or more separate universes was pure unnecessary, confusing, inconsistent, nonsense. Because I take the natural route and simply assume continuity between all films and any other material from games, comics, novels and so on I have no problem. Just let this canon nonsense rest already.

But to answer the question of the thread, yes, the Weyland-Yutani Report further confirms the canonicity of Alien, Predator, AVP, and Prometheus.

The Old One

The Old One

AVP, AVPR, The Predator and AVP 2010's not part of the continuity or canon of the Alien Universe, it's objectively the fact of the whole situation, if whether you like it or do not like it is inconsequential.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TurokSwe on Mar 16, 2020, 06:36:08 PM
But to answer the question of the thread, yes, the Weyland-Yutani Report further confirms the canonicity of Alien, Predator, AVP, and Prometheus.

If you're talking strictly Alien film canon, AvP was indeed a canon prequel to Alien at one time, but Ridley has since retconned it out with Prometheus. Sorry.

Now if you're talking Alien EU: Cast members in The Predator confirmed that all six films were Predator canon: 4 Predators, 2 AVPs, all canon. On the Alien side, Prometheus retcons out AvP and the Predator creature, only to rope AvP and the Predator creature back into Alien EU canon per the Weyland-Yutani Report via Fire and Stone and subsequent stories. Of course, adding anything Predator related in Alien EU is canon to the first 1987 Predator film, which is subsequently canon to the AvP films, ultimately snapping the AvP films back into the Alien EU canon.

So in the Alien EU, in a very sloppy way, you stand correct.  :)

The Old One

The Old One

Just because Alien 1979's canon to Predator 1987, obviously does not mean anything canon to Alien's then canon to Predator, especially as each's considered canonically separate at times.

Voodoo Magic

The Old One

The Old One

Also nothing actually says one's definitively canon to the other, honestly to most people behind the camera and in front of the camera so to speak, it's considered three separate continuities or more if you count entries no longer considered part of continuity or canon by any party.

SM

I look at it like this;

It sure is a weird debate, but for the reason that it's already been established and accepted for the last three decades that a single shared universe exists, and Prometheus and Covenant sure doesn't contradict this rather obvious fact (although they definitely confused and upset people).

Noting that David very clearly did NOT create the Aliens, but he merely produced his own variants and based them upon the black goo pathogen created by the Engineers and a pre-existing Ovomorph (Alien Egg) also created by the Engineers as revealed by the novel and an early script so that's settled already, and even if he did create them then that would be no problem either since The Predator declared time-travel as being a thing.

The actual canon objectively contains all twelve films (including Alien, Aliens, Predator, Predator 2, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, Alien vs. Predator, Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, Predators, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, and The Predator) regardless of what anyone thinks of any of these entries into this overall franchise. You can of course settle for your own head canon if you want but objectively this is the way it is and I prefer to take in the entire buffet as it actually is as I was never any big fan of head canons or fan-fiction or dividing already established cinematic universes.

The Alien, Predator, AVP, and Prometheus series are all connected, they're all canon, and that rubs some people the wrong way for some odd reason but it's the truth nevertheless, and I always thought this idea of two or more separate universes was pure unnecessary, confusing, inconsistent, nonsense. Because I take the natural route and simply assume continuity between all films and any other material from games, comics, novels and so on I have no problem. Just let this canon nonsense rest already.

It's objectively not a single shared continuity.

TurokSwe

TurokSwe

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Mar 16, 2020, 06:52:07 PM
AVP, AVPR, The Predator and AVP 2010's not part of the continuity or canon of the Alien Universe, it's objectively the fact of the whole situation, if whether you like it or do not like it is inconsequential.

But there's no evidence for this.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 16, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

If you're talking strictly Alien film canon, AvP was indeed a canon prequel to Alien at one time, but Ridley has since retconned it out with Prometheus. Sorry.

Now if you're talking Alien EU: Cast members in The Predator confirmed that all six films were Predator canon: 4 Predators, 2 AVPs, all canon. On the Alien side, Prometheus retcons out AvP and the Predator creature, only to rope AvP and the Predator creature back into Alien EU canon per the Weyland-Yutani Report via Fire and Stone and subsequent stories. Of course, adding anything Predator related in Alien EU is canon to the first 1987 Predator film, which is subsequently canon to the AvP films, ultimately snapping the AvP films back into the Alien EU canon.

So in the Alien EU, in a very sloppy way, you stand correct.  :)

Nothing has been retconned.

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Mar 16, 2020, 07:38:11 PM
Just because Alien 1979's canon to Predator 1987, obviously does not mean anything canon to Alien's then canon to Predator, especially as each's considered canonically separate at times.

There is no clear line separating any entry from the canon.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 16, 2020, 07:48:15 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/wDeR5t8wT0XO8/giphy.gif

XD

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Mar 16, 2020, 08:06:16 PM
Also nothing actually says one's definitively canon to the other, honestly to most people behind the camera and in front of the camera so to speak, it's considered three separate continuities or more if you count entries no longer considered part of continuity or canon by any party.

They're separate series, yes, but they officially take place within the same universe.

Quote from: SM on Mar 16, 2020, 08:56:59 PM

I look at it like this;

It's objectively not a single shared continuity.

Which is of course an unsubstantiated claim.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed