Started by Frosty Venom, Oct 04, 2018, 05:57:26 PM

Which do you like better?

Prometheus
70 (50%)
Alien Covenant
70 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author
Prometheus or Alien Covenant? (Read 34,287 times)

motherfather

motherfather

<grump mode on>

There should be a "neither" option in the poll. Both movies failed to live up to what they could have been considering the greatness of Alien and, especially Aliens which proved that movie franchising does work sometimes.

Prometheus was poorly paced with few fleshed out characters. Covenant was the AlienVsPredator: Requiem equivalent of an Alien prequel.

Both movies failed to represent the Engineer/Elder beings (connected to the space jockey chair of Alien) in a way that was truly fascinating, and compelling.

That being said - which movie did more damage to destroy my interpretation of the alien lifecycle / space jockey / weyland robot plot the most? Covenant - without a doubt. Stand-alone, Prometheus does less lasting damage to the other movies, and I could brush it off as a shoddily written movie.

Covenant, with all the lessons that needed to be learned since Prometheus, could have been so much more.

The first half of Prometheus welded to the first half of Covenant without all the silliness of the last half of both movies would have been a much more satisfying movie.

<grump mode off>

Necronomicon II

Guess he didn't like the corn bread, er, wheat either.  ;D

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jan 14, 2019, 10:04:41 PM
Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 30, 2018, 08:53:09 PM
Good info. The slump in SF interest was mirrored by Roger Ebert reviews at the time. I remember Ebert bad mouthing Blade Runner, The Thing, 1989 Batman. Ebert didn't want dark then. He wanted ET and Indiana Jones.

To speculate further, I think many people were avoiding anything dark during that period. Keep in mind that was around a spike of baby boomer divorce. Starting in the early 80's, boomers just sort of sat up and said time to shake up my life, I guess...divorce was the popular avenue.

Hundreds of thousands of mothers/fathers found themselves no longer embedded in a family environment. Isolated. Alone. Now only limited time with their children. They are now an outsider, no hope of returning to that family environment for many.

ET catered to that emotion - the alien as the surrogate father Elliot had lost. A glimmer of hope.

The Thing.....well.....a reminder to those divorced, amplifying their dark, isolated, no hope new life style. If you were plopped into that life style in real world, the last thing you want to see is a film that rubs that demise in your face.

I can continue the speculation; mainly about why in science fiction; it's difficult for dark, horror SF movies to reach a blockbuster level which is what the studios want of course. Your examples of divorce and problems in life are good.
The mass audience is looking for an escape from that.

"Alien", "Aliens" and "Predator" have an excitement / energy which lead to some decent popularity.
But these are still set in a galaxy where space aliens are trying to kill us. They are hostile universe stories. That keeps a lot of people away especially families with young kids.
As franchises they were never going to be as popular as the original Star Wars trilogy or "ET".

And once the excitement is over with the first movies in this shock / horror SF, then the Alien/Predator sequels were not as popular as the originals. Fresh horror thrills could be found somewhere else in cheaper to make jump scare films.
Carpenter's "The Thing" has a negative view of the universe and the paranoia of human nature when order breaks down. Many people don't want to see that.

I enjoy watching these movies but I know my preferences are not typical.

;)

Huggs

Huggs

42 and holding.

Voodoo Magic

43!

Necronomicon II

Lol it's so close it's neglible.

The Old One

The Old One

Inconclusive!

Huggs

Huggs

The people have spoken!

Necronomicon II

Small sample size is small,  meta-analysis required. And penis.  ;D

Voodoo Magic

Did we just declare Prometheus the winner?

I think we did!!

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jan 30, 2019, 04:03:42 AM
Small sample size is small,  meta-analysis required. And penis.  ;D

...Alright (unzips)

As long as this is strictly scientific and helps Prometheus.

(sound of thud impacting tabletop).

I might need moral support. Hold my hand Voodoo.  ;D

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 30, 2019, 04:14:02 AM
Did we just declare Prometheus the winner?

I think we did!!

https://media3.giphy.com/media/fvwgOui2RBRMA/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c5123a067397135739c0fdb

Big Ern is finally above the law!

The Old One

The Old One

Voodoo Magic

Oasis Nadrama

I love Prometheus and hate Alien Covenant. I see Alien Covenant as a bad Prometheus remake, honestly - retreading in the exact same thematics, only this time masturbating to David and cultural/mythological references.

I put my hate of Covenant in words in another place if someone is interested, but frankly to me there's no comparison. Prometheus may also recycle a lot of thing, but at least there was AUDACITY.

JokersWarPig

Prometheus hands down is the better movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed