For all the crap Jacob Tremblay was getting before the release,...

Started by germanator2, Sep 18, 2018, 05:12:24 PM

Author
For all the crap Jacob Tremblay was getting before the release,... (Read 4,116 times)

germanator2

... he wasn't bad at all. And in terms of having a kid in an action flick, he was far from being the worst. And the whole thing with autism giving you the ability to learn languages, it was far from offensive. Movies take artistic license with disabilities all the time. How many times is there a blind character whose other senses are suddenly amped up!?!

Bishop2

Agreed. Besides, if you thought a Shane Black movie wouldn't feature an important bond with a kid, you basically didn't want a Shane Black movie.  ;D

And honestly, I thought ALL the actors did well. I was more concerned about the choice of leads (male and female), but both pulled their roles off.

I was especially shocked by Olivia Munn being so good, because frankly, I've never seen her act believably in anything before this. There's a reason no one let her speak in X-Men: Apocalypse - her delivery when speaking as herself comes off as natural, but her delivery when  going by a script  has always been forced and terrible.

I guess she must've gotten some acting lessons since then, because she acquits herself very well in this.

D88M

He was a plot device and nothing else, he was slightly irritating with ridiculous scenes, but could have been far worse.

Naginata

The kid's friggin' adorable, I don't know why people were so negative about him; it's not like he wrote the script.

PredBabe

He was adorable. Had a good laugh at him with the huge mask duck taped around his head.

Kudzu

The actor was good. The part was bad.

Samhain13

Samhain13

I think now I know what Star Wars fans felt when they saw Anakin on The Phanton Menace.

Naginata

Folks, I saw AVP and AVPR in theaters on their respective opening weeks. The Predator could've featured a troupe of Predators river-dancing around Ron Jeremy's flaccid schlong for 2 hours and it would be still have been a less disappointing cinematic experience.

ChanceVance

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 18, 2018, 05:57:18 PM
I was especially shocked by Olivia Munn being so good, because frankly, I've never seen her act believably in anything before this. There's a reason no one let her speak in X-Men: Apocalypse - her delivery when speaking as herself comes off as natural, but her delivery when  going by a script  has always been forced and terrible.

I guess she must've gotten some acting lessons since then, because she acquits herself very well in this.

That was the biggest shock for me actually. I cannot complain about her performance, she was surprisingly believable and her line delivery was convincing. How her character is as well drilled and trained in the use of firearms as any of the soldiers is a mystery but that's the script's problem. 

As for Tremblay he was fine. Anyone who has seen Room knows the kid can act but sometimes actors get scripts that even Daniel Day Lewis would struggle to make gold out of.

whiterabbit

Yea both Trembley and Munn gave creditable performances. Pity the parts they were given to play wasn't up to snuff.

oldnorse

Quote from: ChanceVance on Sep 19, 2018, 02:03:13 AM

That was the biggest shock for me actually. I cannot complain about her performance, she was surprisingly believable and her line delivery was convincing. How her character is as well drilled and trained in the use of firearms as any of the soldiers is a mystery but that's the script's problem. 

As for Tremblay he was fine. Anyone who has seen Room knows the kid can act but sometimes actors get scripts that even Daniel Day Lewis would struggle to make gold out of.

As far as being a scientist and trained in the use of firearms, I'm not American myself but universities/colleges in the US offer classes in how to use firearms. I personally know US scientists/researchers who took such classes so why the hell not. Also, couldn't she be military trained? Anyway, I mean it's all about using the usual suspension of disbelief when watching any action movie but in this case it works fine imo.

Btw, I walked past Jacob Tremblay in Milan the other day - tiny and very cute in real life too. A talented little guy for sure.

bleau

Quote from: oldnorse on Sep 19, 2018, 09:12:10 AM
Quote from: ChanceVance on Sep 19, 2018, 02:03:13 AM

As far as being a scientist and trained in the use of firearms, I'm not American myself but universities/colleges in the US offer classes in how to use firearms. I personally know US scientists/researchers who took such classes so why the hell not. Also, couldn't she be military trained? Anyway, I mean it's all about using the usual suspension of disbelief when watching any action movie but in this case it works fine imo.

Btw, I walked past Jacob Tremblay in Milan the other day - tiny and very cute in real life too. A talented little guy for sure.

No, not a campus. Or any College here in the States. The only way to get that kind of training is in the Army.

skull-splitter

Quote from: D88M on Sep 18, 2018, 11:04:28 PM
He was a plot device and nothing else, he was slightly irritating with ridiculous scenes, but could have been far worse.
This, and his acting was really stereotypical, but I blame that on Black, not the kid.

Rudiger

Probably the best actor on screen.

BigDaddyJohn

Thomas Jane damn it !  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed