The Predator - CHINA release

Started by Tetsujin, Sep 09, 2018, 03:00:00 PM

Author
The Predator - CHINA release (Read 19,979 times)

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: Wysps on Oct 04, 2018, 03:29:14 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 04, 2018, 02:09:35 PM
QuoteLet's face it guys, it's clearly a big disappointment to say the least
No one said it wasn't, it was certainly not what FOX was hoping for when they greenlit a 88 million budget.

BUT, there is a chance to look beyong this movie, because it was a test, and attempt, to make more money if you spend more money, that was wrong, but it still makes good money if you look at the history of the franchise. Depending on China, it could be the biggest grossing Predator movie to date.

And given the fact that they churned them out for 35 - 40 million in the past, there is the chance that they see further potential in smaller storys.

Also, a franchise with a fanbase like this, there is always more to it than just the movie, you start a whole wave of sales. They release books for this (novels, prequel-books), action figures (Necas highest selling line to date) and replicas in all forms, plus it boost sales for the old movies as well. And on each sold piece, the studio makes money.

True.  There are still ways in which the movie can indirectly benefit the franchise as a whole, by paving the way for smaller stories (now that we know the "big picture" equation isn't that appropriate) and more merchandise, i.e. comics, video games, etc. 
I cant see it being smaller then this. I dont k ow why it cost so much. But it felt like a smaller lower budget film. I think avp was cheaper to make and had more sets and effect shots i think.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: bobcunk on Oct 05, 2018, 02:29:27 AM
Quote from: Wysps on Oct 04, 2018, 03:29:14 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 04, 2018, 02:09:35 PM
QuoteLet's face it guys, it's clearly a big disappointment to say the least
No one said it wasn't, it was certainly not what FOX was hoping for when they greenlit a 88 million budget.

BUT, there is a chance to look beyong this movie, because it was a test, and attempt, to make more money if you spend more money, that was wrong, but it still makes good money if you look at the history of the franchise. Depending on China, it could be the biggest grossing Predator movie to date.

And given the fact that they churned them out for 35 - 40 million in the past, there is the chance that they see further potential in smaller storys.

Also, a franchise with a fanbase like this, there is always more to it than just the movie, you start a whole wave of sales. They release books for this (novels, prequel-books), action figures (Necas highest selling line to date) and replicas in all forms, plus it boost sales for the old movies as well. And on each sold piece, the studio makes money.

True.  There are still ways in which the movie can indirectly benefit the franchise as a whole, by paving the way for smaller stories (now that we know the "big picture" equation isn't that appropriate) and more merchandise, i.e. comics, video games, etc. 
I cant see it being smaller then this. I dont know why it cost so much.
Reshoots, scrapped stuff and a CGI Predator, mostly. There is at least 15 - 20 million on this movie that didn't end up on the screen. It was never planned to be this expensive, why do you think Black had to shoot the 3rd act in full daytime at first?

That being said, they did spend a buck on this, the whole opening sequence, big sets and the finale with McKenna hanging from a spaceship while it's crashing is really well done.

AvP is up until this point the most expensive one yet though, it was 60 million, but that was 14 years ago, if you adjust that for inflation the movie would cost roughly a 100 million now.

Corporal Hicks

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Honestly AVP felt cheap too.

newagescamartist

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 05, 2018, 12:55:32 PM

It really did. I still think minimalism is the way to go with this franchise. Make really cheap ( but good ) movies, profit. Like the Saw movies.

skull-splitter

Mainly in terms of actors to be honest, parts of it felt quite grand for what it was.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I am going to be the dissenting opinion here and say neither "The Predator" nor "AvP" looked cheap to me.... but "Predators" certainly did.  I cringe sometimes at all the normal Earth flora... or that everyday cloudy sky visible throughout (except for the one shot they could afford to matte the background sky with alien planets.)

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: newagescamartist on Oct 05, 2018, 07:39:26 PM

It really did. I still think minimalism is the way to go with this franchise. Make really cheap ( but good ) movies, profit. Like the Saw movies.

Agree. I feel like the movies work better when the cast, setting are more intimate. Smaller scale with quality stories and practical suits.

Nathsp

Nathsp

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 06, 2018, 08:17:34 PM
I am going to be the dissenting opinion here and say neither "The Predator" nor "AvP" looked cheap to me.... but "Predators" certainly did.  I cringe sometimes at all the normal Earth flora... or that everyday cloudy sky visible throughout (except for the one shot they could afford to matte the background sky with alien planets.)
Just the avp set of avp looked 1000 times more elaborate than the predator, wich looks like it was shoot in the forest behind the studio one night they got drunk.
I dont feel predators as a cheap movie, it has great elements, and about the flora, they have a planet with similar earth conditions, may be they also create that rainforest, its something that doesnt bother to me.
And the super predators are made by practical, thays always nice, even if the design is not well executed, but it doesnt feel cheap as upgradre cgi, and that scene in the forest, it remains me a playstion 2 game..

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nathsp on Oct 09, 2018, 09:02:15 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 06, 2018, 08:17:34 PM
Just the avp set of avp looked 1000 times more elaborate than the predator, wich looks like it was shoot in the forest behind the studio one night they got drunk.
I dont feel predators as a cheap movie, it has great elements, and about the flora, they have a planet with similar earth conditions, may be they also create that rainforest, its something that doesnt bother to me.
And the super predators are made by practical, thays always nice, even if the design is not well executed, but it doesnt feel cheap as upgradre cgi, and that scene in the forest, it remains me a playstion 2 game..

We agree to disagree then.  Cheers!

Corporal Hicks

The Old One

The Old One

Class.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 09, 2018, 03:28:42 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Upcoming 10/26 China domestic theatrical release of &#39;The Predator&#39; reimagined with film posters fighting ancient literary warriors: Li Wei (李逵) Guan Yunchang (关云长) Yang Lan (杨戬) The Monkey King (孙悟空) <a href="https://t.co/jrtpZtac9h">pic.twitter.com/jrtpZtac9h</a></p>— Content in China (@ContentinChina) <a href="https://twitter.com/ContentinChina/status/1049679246954782721?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 9, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hicks, brother, these are TERRIFIC!

Also each of these hint of a larger story I would sure want to see on screen.  Fighting ancient literary warriors of China? Oh yea, count me in.

The Old One

The Old One

Predator: Ancients

Voodoo Magic

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed