Empire The Predator Subscriber Exclusive Cover

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 06, 2018, 10:39:16 AM

Author
Empire The Predator Subscriber Exclusive Cover (Read 53,769 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I didn't know she was blanketing anyone, my apologies. Thought you all were commenting on an observation she made on the captive Predator.

Danversity

I think y'all reading way too much into this, or simply missing the point.

Yeah, the likes of Ripley and Sarah Connor had to learn, yeah a lot of people in the U.S don't know how to use guns, that's all good and true, but it's not really Olivia's point. We're talking about movies, how this stuff is handled in fiction. Olivia's point is that in a movie, when it comes to a character that doesn't particularly links back to guns on a surface level like, say, a scientist, if it's a male character nobody will bother to wonder how they know to handle a gun, they just accept that he does - now if it's a female character, storytellers and studios will often feel the need to explain how she learns to handle the weapon (that if she's not completely helpless), or make her into a Lara Croft-esque heroine who's just so absurd at it that that's it - they think that the audience may not accept that she's just a woman that happens to know how to use a gun the same way they do with male characters. And she's not wrong. Nowadays less movies do that than they used to, but it's undeniable.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Danversity on Jul 11, 2018, 03:29:58 AM
I think y'all reading way too much into this, or simply missing the point.

Yeah, the likes of Ripley and Sarah Connor had to learn, yeah a lot of people in the U.S don't know how to use guns, that's all good and true, but it's not really Olivia's point. We're talking about movies, how this stuff is handled in fiction. Olivia's point is that in a movie, when it comes to a character that doesn't particularly links back to guns on a surface level like, say, a scientist, if it's a male character nobody will bother to wonder how they know to handle a gun, they just accept that he does - now if it's a female character, storytellers and studios will often feel the need to explain how she learns to handle the weapon (that if she's not completely helpless), or make her into a Lara Croft-esque heroine who's just so absurd at it that that's it - they think that the audience may not accept that she's just a woman that happens to know how to use a gun the same way they do with male characters. And she's not wrong. Nowadays less movies do that than they used to, but it's undeniable.

She didn't say any of that. She told a person to check their microagressions. So her intended point is lost in the shuffle ,and it's not much of a point because it's an assumption about the entire audience.

I do happen to wonder, depending on the context, how some random asshole picks up military hardware and just magically seems to know how to work the action and safety.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 11, 2018, 03:46:59 AM
I do happen to wonder, depending on the context, how some random asshole picks up military hardware and just magically seems to know how to work the action and safety.

It's those damn Call of Duty games.

Spoiler
And how dare you speak about captured that way  ;D
[close]

skull-splitter

Two pages on and we're kind of proving why people leave public pages... fandom don't mix with personal politics, folks.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, let's keep the politics to the politics sub-board please.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 10, 2018, 11:53:30 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jul 10, 2018, 11:51:32 PM
I still don't know what it is. But if it's anything like "short guy syndrome" I don't see how it applies.  ;)

It's in line with "check your privilege" and "male shit-lord" and "oppressive patriarchy."

Good lord i couldn't agree more with you !

Quote from: D88M on Jul 10, 2018, 11:19:38 PM
The first pic is cool though i dont like the AVP style scenery, the second one looks too sterile :/

Eh i guess it looks like an AVP scenery, since it doesn't take place in a jungle or a big city...

::)

SiL

Or because it doesn't look like the Aztec-inspired spaceship interior that was the single coolest thing in P2, one of the most unique ship interiors for an alien organism ever, and has never been repeated in any of the movies for no discernable reason.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: SiL on Jul 11, 2018, 11:59:14 AM
Or because it doesn't look like the Aztec-inspired spaceship interior that was the single coolest thing in P2, one of the most unique ship interiors for an alien organism ever, and has never been repeated in any of the movies for no discernable reason.

It was a really cool design indeed, but it could also be different more than 20 years after. Also different predators, different styles maybe ? From what we saw i tend to prefer P2's design but i'll wait to see the movie in motion to fully make my mind about it.

SiL

I get all that, but every design after has been boring and generic sleek sci-fi corridors. It's really uninspired after the second film showed us the potential.

BigDaddyJohn

True, it has been more generic after P2, that's a fact.

skull-splitter

Quote from: SiL on Jul 11, 2018, 12:10:41 PM
I get all that, but every design after has been boring and generic sleek sci-fi corridors. It's really uninspired after the second film showed us the potential.
Compared to the really organic and hints of aztek influences, they either went full aztek for the sets or downright industrial.

You never go full retard...

PredBabe

PredBabe

Yeah it is disappointing that no other movie has followed up with the Aztec look of the ship in P2. It was one of the cooler things established for the creature lore in that movie. It was eerie and mysterious with that misty atmosphere. Of course we can say different ships for different predators/occasions but still wish they would stick with a similar concept.

Maybe the ship in P2 is like the Millennium Falcon of Predator ships. "Blow that piece of junk out of the sky!"

Shaeffer11

Do any websites sell single issues of Empire? I'm in the U.S. and haven't seen this magazine in stores or bookstores. Thanks

azamultic

It's truly a shame they never used Predator 2 artistic language. It was so unique for alien race, and nope, they went pretty generic for all other Predator installments( not hating on all other designs, but they did feel less unique compare to Predator 2). Or it could be my subjective opinion. But I loved the hell out of Predator 2 design(Ship, Armor, Face, Colors). But I really like this armor with this lighting and camera position(Actually it looks pretty interesting too). Kind of reminds me of Star Gate.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed