What would you like to see in an Aliens Comic?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Mar 25, 2018, 08:59:55 PM

Author
What would you like to see in an Aliens Comic? (Read 6,561 times)

Corporal Hicks

I was thinking more in terms of why he wiped out the Engineers than his desire to wipe out humanity which the prologue sets up quite explicitly. "I learnt of their ways." That's more what I'd like an expansion on.

SM

'Their ways' in terms of Prometheus was dumping pathogen on their creations.  Which is what he did.

It'd be cool to find out their other ways.  But they're not about to go into that in the comics.  We had a stack of comics with Engineers and didn't really learn anything.  Even Singer's theories were just theories.  They can't get details that might be undone by a film.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 09, 2018, 02:01:08 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 05, 2018, 07:26:04 PMWhat if Apone didn't die in the Hive?

What if Parker made it back to Gateway to take the bonus situation up with the suits?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 06, 2018, 07:04:33 AMAnd how Kleist survives.  :laugh:

God damn, that really didn't make any sense lol.
I think 'Aliens: Bug Hunt' had a missed opportunity in not telling the story of the science officer that Ash replaced at Thedus. That guy dodged one hell of a bullet. :P

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SM on Apr 10, 2018, 10:28:56 AM
'Their ways' in terms of Prometheus was dumping pathogen on their creations.  Which is what he did.

It'd be cool to find out their other ways.  But they're not about to go into that in the comics.  We had a stack of comics with Engineers and didn't really learn anything.  Even Singer's theories were just theories.  They can't get details that might be undone by a film.

Are those F&S/L&D stories worth reading? Like I know going in everything is completely tentative to avoid stepping on the toes of the films, and that's fine with me (I tend to just look at the comics as little "what ifs?" that are just fun ways to explore the different writers/artists' takes on the world). The things that's kind of rubbed me the wrong way and prevented me from reading so far is the inclusion of the Predators.

SM

Some aspects were a bit 'meh' (one of the main characters was particularly problematic), but I liked them overall.

I got to read the scripts for L+D while it was being made, and I thought it was really going to be epic.  It was a long story arc, it picked up the threads of F+S, you had main characters in each of the groups the splinter and reform, red shirt marines get promoted to more prominent roles just long enough to make an impression and then get killed off, there was a mix of marines and Company stuff.

I don't think the artwork ever quite matched the writing though.  It's not bad by any measure, but I don't think it quite captured the promise of the script.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 10, 2018, 06:24:44 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 09, 2018, 02:01:08 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 05, 2018, 07:26:04 PMWhat if Apone didn't die in the Hive?

What if Parker made it back to Gateway to take the bonus situation up with the suits?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 06, 2018, 07:04:33 AMAnd how Kleist survives.  :laugh:

God damn, that really didn't make any sense lol.
I think 'Aliens: Bug Hunt' had a missed opportunity in not telling the story of the science officer that Ash replaced at Thedus. That guy dodged one hell of a bullet. :P

Dunno about that.  Ash WAS the bullet.  If it was anoth science officer who happened to be a human, maybe he wouldn't go all psycho.  He probably wouldn't break quarantine like Ash did.  Then again, he probably wouldn't have tried to stop Ripley from going out to the derelict when she said it was a warning.  Maybe he wouldn't have even let the crew go out to check out the derelict.  So this could have turned into a dud of a story, or it could have been spun into something really great.

I'm telling you, there's a market for these what if tales.  It could be really good.

Xenomrph

Even though Ash broke quarantine, let's say he had followed procedure. Kane gives birth to the Alien outside the ship, the Alien matures, and if Dallas and Lambert are still outside the ship at this point due to the quarantine, it kills them both. After that I imagine the Alien could find a way into the Nostromo via some kind of external vent, even if Ripley and co. watched the Alien kill Dallas and Lambert and immediately said "wow, f**k this planet" and lifted off right away.

That said, my idea wasn't really a what-if story (although that could be really cool), it was more of a short, potentially humorous story set on the station at Thedus about a character interacting with the Nostromo crew as the Nostromo acquires its cargo and preps for launch, only to find out at the last minute that he's been replaced. Maybe for extra irony, perhaps play up that he's had an ultra-shitty day on Thedus Station, and he's really disappointed that he doesn't get to depart on the Nostromo because ANYTHING would be better than staying on that goddamn station. :P

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 10, 2018, 10:19:57 AM
I was thinking more in terms of why he wiped out the Engineers than his desire to wipe out humanity which the prologue sets up quite explicitly. "I learnt of their ways." That's more what I'd like an expansion on.

Yeah, "their ways" is so tantalizing. I really want to know if there were survivors that David hunted down. Over on IG, in a comment on one of his posts Hatton even raised the possibility that David ambushed more ships that arrived after him. That would be a badass comic!

Still Collating...

Quote from: SM on Apr 11, 2018, 12:53:58 AM
Some aspects were a bit 'meh' (one of the main characters was particularly problematic), but I liked them overall.

I got to read the scripts for L+D while it was being made, and I thought it was really going to be epic.  It was a long story arc, it picked up the threads of F+S, you had main characters in each of the groups the splinter and reform, red shirt marines get promoted to more prominent roles just long enough to make an impression and then get killed off, there was a mix of marines and Company stuff.

I don't think the artwork ever quite matched the writing though.  It's not bad by any measure, but I don't think it quite captured the promise of the script.

Must admit that the artwork for L&D really made the story feel a lot more bland than it actually was IMO. I couldn't stand how ugly some issues were. F&S was fun and had interesting artwork, for me at least.

Ultramorph

The art definitely failed some of the big moments, especially in the Aliens mini.

SM

Quote from: Still Collating... on Apr 11, 2018, 06:34:32 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 11, 2018, 12:53:58 AM

Must admit that the artwork for L&D really made the story feel a lot more bland than it actually was IMO. I couldn't stand how ugly some issues were. F&S was fun and had interesting artwork, for me at least.

One thing that did shit me - and probably more than a little nitpicky - was that the Juggernaut was shown flying 'prongs forward'.

HuDaFuK

Didn't it do that in Prometheus?

SM

No.  Prongs were to the back.  Same in Covenant and The Crossing.

HuDaFuK

Fair enough. I remember it in Covenant, but could've sworn it was the other way around in Prommy. I'd just assumed it was omni-directional. Obviously remembering it wrong.

SM

Possibly cos they've always been shown to fly prongs forward in the old comics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed