Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 89,987 times)

Spoonman101

Maybe because the original films are so respected, people feel the most recent don't live up to the quality of the franchise(s).
This.

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 30, 2014, 06:00:15 PMSo I disagree with the acceptation that you like the film... What more do you want? A perpetual pointless argument?
Who is arguing?
[/quote]Rhetoric ignored...

Magegg

"quote" code ignored, ha ha.

Mike

I can't wait to see another Predator film, I love all of them. Avp is a enjoyable quick play film Avpr is horrible but the good stuff is were its at with Predator Predator 2 and Predators. Next film should be awesome. Also am excited to see Terminator Genesis! 2 of my fav film franchises coming back to the big screen. Something tells me Arnold will star in the sequel because for one his comeback films have been low box-office failures but T5 should put him back and being in the next Pred film would be icing on top. Just what I think. Lets not forget we got another Prometheus film on the way which is cool, but hearing the recent news on Siggourney wanting to come back for a great Alien 5 film got me happy, but I'll take a film over nothing.

worldpeace

worldpeace

i still love that cgi face melting in avpr. you hear gurgle sounds and see his eye balls turn white like a fried fish eye and then dissolve . the detail is the best example of how powerful the acid is in any of the alien or avp movies as far as flesh is concerned . its a fantastic scene imo. . its creepy and to watch that actor johnny who went nuts and killed the cat and lady. apparently he ripped the cats limbs off with his hands.... kids dad wrote pages about him on his imdb page. it's tragic .

Russ

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 30, 2014, 05:57:38 PM
Something I don't get.. Why in the hell do people trash on others who happen to like installments in a franchise which are not popular with the majority?

In the main - Because it's easier to adopt an air of intellectual superiority when trashing something rather than enthusing about it, safe in the knowledge that there are plenty of others who've had their opinions spoon fed to them  by the internet hive mind to back you up.

I wouldn't say that's the case on this forum when discussing these movies because people have joined this forum because of their liking for the franchises , so there's a passion here that you don't see on general discussions I guess.

On the whole, though - it shouldn't - but it really does irritate me. Read the headline "Paul WS Anderson is making..." and before you've even got that far into the article, people are commenting "It'll be the biggest pile of shit ever," "NO WAY this movie is dead" "It's going to SUCK!".

Really. And we know that because... well, all the people on the internet keep saying he's rubbish so he must be. I use him as an example, but it could be anything from Batman vs Superman (a film that the hive-mind seems to know the plot, script and execution of and just why it won't be as good as Marvel - before we've seen a frame of film, naturally) to "Disney buys Marvel" and we all know that every single movie that will be produced in the future by this company will be a pile of watery shit (can watery shit form a pile? A splodge, then).

The thing is, as we know, there are objectively good and bad films. There are a million and one (probably ten times that, to be fair) people who will tell you that Paul WS Anderson is a shit director. Only a tiny percentage of could tell you why he's a shit director (messing with the life-cycle doesn't count).

Opinion is a different ball game - its not a fact. It's a point of view - in this case, messing with the life-cycle DOES count for instance.

I LOVED AvP. It did what it said on the tin, had some great ideas and could (and probably should) have been a better movie. How much interference Anderson actually had from the studio is something I'd love to ask him (when he's retired as the truth will never out if he wants to work for Fox again) but if you view the comprehensive set of Special Features and listen to the commentaries, it's clear that he really has a load of passion for this piece. It wasn't a pay cheque, it was an opportunity. That's what it felt like to me anyway.

But that studio theory -that's my assessment. My opinion. My point of view. I could be wrong. I could be right. But I don't know.

To address the question of  why does get so personal at times, though. Maybe the anonymity of the internet? Sometimes I read stuff that I've written and realise that I'd never be that much of a tool in real-life (or at least I'd hope not. Both my friends say I'm not a tool). Similarly, I read posts by others and think that they're utter c**ts, but they can't be like that all the time. Or at least you'd hope not. Then again, some people do swap a personality for an avatar, so you never know. 

But anyway - I'm confident that Shane Black will do a great job (see how I expertly turned that back on topic there).

SM

QuoteOn the whole, though - it shouldn't - but it really does irritate me. Read the headline "Paul WS Anderson is making..." and before you've even got that far into the article, people are commenting "It'll be the biggest pile of shit ever," "NO WAY this movie is dead" "It's going to SUCK!".

Really. And we know that because... well, all the people on the internet keep saying he's rubbish so he must be.

In the case of Anderson though - he generally is rubbish. 

HuDaFuK

Event Horizon is a film I really, really enjoy. Soldier isn't appalling either, although I'm probably biased because I'm a big Kurt Russell fan.

Everything else I've seen made by Anderson has been varying degrees of crap.

Russ

In your opinion.  :D

No - this is derailing the thread. If you are both so inclined, I'd love to read an in-depth objective analysis of why WS movies are crap. But this will not change by subjective view of them.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Jul 01, 2014, 08:43:34 AMIn your opinion.  :D
I never said I was talking fact.

Although a lot of his films are filled with stuff that is factually bad - especially acting and scripts.

worldpeace

i think pwa is ok at directing i just dont like that he didn't hire stan winston, it f**ked the predator aspect of the film greatly . plus it upset stan winston. the writing of paul and the cheesyness to his writing f**ked 90%of that films dialog .  the cgi scene when scar spins and impales the queens head is beautiful for 2seconds then ruined by a close up of rubber halloween mask scar. also the first predator to die in avp, you see his wrist sword bend as he is thrown to the ground from the 30ft alien tail that impales him. the director makes the decisions and that movie is full of bad decisions. mainly not hiring stan winston, .  its ok if you disagre with worldpeace.

Russ

Quoteits ok if you disagre with worldpeace

Today is not "agree with worldpeace" day. *lol*

worldpeace

you still friend. :-*

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 01, 2014, 08:36:18 AM
Everything else I've seen made by Anderson has been varying degrees of crap.

I thought he did a fine job with the first Mortal Kombat movie. I mean a lot of the Mortal Kombat fans whom I have spoken to told me that they thought the movie was fine as it was a product of the 90s. I haven't seen Event Horizon though, but I've heard people say some mixed things about it-- some good, some bad. As for Soldier... I thought that was an interesting flick.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 01, 2014, 08:57:46 AMI thought he did a fine job with the first Mortal Kombat movie. I mean a lot of the Mortal Kombat fans whom I have spoken to told me that they thought the movie was fine as it was a product of the 90s. I haven't seen Event Horizon though, but I've heard people say some mixed things about it-- some good, some bad. As for Soldier... I thought that was an interesting flick.
I didn't enjoy Mortal Kombat at all, although my mate reckons it's his favourite film of all time.

I don't think any of his films, even the two I singled out, are masterpieces. Soldier's just a Rambo knock-off but not as good, although I do like the concept of soldiers trained from birth - the beginning of the movie showing that was easily the best part. Similarly, Event Horizon is basically an Alien clone, admittedly one of the better ones I've seen, and again the concept it's based on is pretty interesting. The cast is good and the sets are great. I'd say it's easily the best Paul Anderson film I've seen, and I've seen most of them at some point.

DoomRulz

Event Horizon was a complete waste of talent for Fishburne and Neill. I've rarely been so bored when watching a movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed