Prometheus Writers Audio Commentary Preview

Started by ikarop, Sep 23, 2012, 04:33:02 PM

Author
Prometheus Writers Audio Commentary Preview (Read 72,702 times)

fiveways

If thats what we're almost got I am even happier ridley took it in a different direction.  That sounds alien:r level bad. 

Predalien39

Quote from: wonkyfunk303 on Sep 23, 2012, 09:40:30 PM
so everything that would of made this a great movie got changed??

i would of loved to have seen that stuff in the final movie, im all for going in different directions but they could of expanded on what we knew whilst opening some questions, the final film made no sense and i worry that should damon be involved in the sequels, they will end up so much like lost, they will probably all come around and it was a dream.. blah blah blah....

shame as damon done to this what anderson done to avp....

I agree, but I would have liked to see a Hybrid of the two ideas.  Still have some of the origins of man themes, but within the more ALIEN script.  That's what I was originally really hoping for.  I think Spaihts had some great Alien scenes that would have really made the fanboys happy, while Scott could have still toyed with his own ideas and expanding the legacy.

Bat Chain Puller

Over all I'm pleased that the orbit of the film got further way from the traditional Alien elements we all already know. Further into the unknown was the way to go and they went there. Next time they'll be going even further (Paradise) and all we can hope for is a tighter, more character driven, more concise script.

Chestbursters and facehuggers would have been too familiar and not as weird/scary. I'm not opposed to seeing them down the line in some form or fashion ... but I'd be disappointed if they took center stage again as the main threat. I dont' know if it's AVP that did this to me ... or simply wanting fresh designs/biology.

Virgil

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Sep 23, 2012, 10:56:06 PM
Over all I'm pleased that the orbit of the film got further way from the traditional Alien elements we all already know. Further into the unknown was the way to go and they went there. Next time they'll be going even further (Paradise) and all we can hope for is a tighter, more character driven, more concise script.

Chestbursters and facehuggers would have been too familiar and not as weird/scary. I'm not opposed to seeing them down the line in some form or fashion ... but I'd be disappointed if they took center stage again as the main threat. I dont' know if it's AVP that did this to me ... or simply wanting fresh designs/biology.

I completely agree.

Cvalda

Lifting the Black Oil from The X-Files and throwing in some Space Zombies is hardly "fresh". I didn't want a straight Alien prequel either, but considering what we were given was even more disappointingly ersatz, I think I'd like facehuggers and chestbursters back, quite frankly.

BANE

Meh, I don't think you'd have liked it then either.

T Dog

Spaihts' draft sounds much much better. Although it's fair to say as well that Lindelof's was badly executed and he probably intended for the tone to be darker and creepier.

I really like the idea of the archaeological dig happening on Mars, it would be amazing to start the human element of the story on another planet and then for their find there to link up with a find on earth would be incredible. It's Sci-Fi after all.
Show the explorers on a different planet please

Also I liked the idea of the primates being infected. If it's done well and isn't horrible cgi black goo wind then I'm all up for it.

Local Trouble

I take it the story was originally supposed to take place on LV-426, yes?  Is there anything in the commentary to explain the condition of the space jockey's remains a scant 30 years later?

That aside, I much prefer Spaihts' version.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I won't say it was necessarily better, because we've got no idea what the dialogue and other stuff was like, but going by these ideas, it sounds like the production team decided they should ignore the golden if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it rule. Change for change's sake.

Only thing I'm really confused about was what primordial humanity was meant to be undergoing when it received the infected bites. Mutating how?

Chestbursters and facehuggers would have been too familiar and not as weird/scary.

But nothing we ended up seeing was scary.

The traditional stuff, however, could have been scary if it was portrayed effectively - which it hasn't been since the mid-1980s. Ridley Scott shot himself in the foot by declaring that such a thing would be impossible without even trying.

ThisBethesdaSea

I prefer the convoluted wonderful and risky mess that is Prometheus as opposed yet another film featuring aliens and facehuggers.

MrSpaceJockey

While the ideas themselves are interesting, I can't just think about aliens in Prometheus without sighing. We've explored those creatures as much as we needed to. 

And I don't know why people are so amazed at the Spaights script when all you know are small portions. Small out of context portions of Prometheus were also very good - you can't judge a whole film like that.

Nevertheless, like I might've said earlier - i really want to check out the script anyhoo.

Local Trouble

But that's only because we've been inundated with trite and unsatisfying movies that didn't advance the alien mythos in any meaningful way.  A movie that actually showed what we've been wanting to see without all the Ripley and Predator distractions would be welcome.

ThisBethesdaSea

Giving the audience what they think they want is not a recipe for success. Remember, Prometheus is/was a successful film.

Local Trouble

So were the Star Wars prequels.

Space Sweeper

Quote from: RaisingCane on Sep 24, 2012, 12:54:53 AM
That aside, I much prefer Spaihts' version.
Link me to that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed