Film grain?

Started by 9th_Stew, May 14, 2012, 01:56:37 PM

Author
Film grain? (Read 2,966 times)

9th_Stew

9th_Stew

I read a while back that they was gonna put a camera style grain close to that of the 2nd film - is there any more news on this or atleast screen captures of this new look???

WinterActual

WinterActual

I think this would be like in the on-helmet cam view from the movie. Where they show the different perspectives from each squad member's helmet cam.

Predaker

Predaker

There will be an option to turn film grain on/off, but I have not seen any screenshots or video yet. It sounds pretty cool though. They know exactly what type of film was used for shooting the movie so I hope it looks more authentic.

Deathly_rYaN

Deathly_rYaN

When the say film grain they mean like the look of the 80s version of the movie with the little pixels

9th_Stew

9th_Stew

hmmm hope they show images of it in action :)

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: 9th_Stew on May 14, 2012, 08:29:02 PM
hmmm hope they show images of it in action :)
We may not get to see what it looks like until the game is released. It might make colors and images look washed out and grainy, and they would probably rather use some snappy PC shots for marketing purposes.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Another thing that GBX could do to make the experience feel authentic to the films...

They could carve a deep outline around the dog alien and mis-align the lighting when it hits the alien in-game.  That way it looks just like it looked in Alien3.  That would be cool.

Of course, it would be even cooler if you could also turn the outlining and misalignment on and off if the player chooses to play it either way. 

9th_Stew

9th_Stew

maybe someone could photoshop a concept pic on what it may look like - i dont have time to do it myself :(

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

There will be a film grain option, probably similar to the Left 4 Dead games.

scm

scm

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on May 14, 2012, 10:12:34 PM
There will be a film grain option, probably similar to the Left 4 Dead games.
Yep that was what I was gonna say, i hope they do keep that in, it was great in l4d

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Duke Nukem Forever has a film grain option, so odds are high they'll keep it here too.

9th_Stew

9th_Stew

images?

Cellien

Cellien

I'm hoping for film grain.  I don't like the sterile look of most 3D games.  I prefer the softer feel that film grain brings.  The effect was also an option in Mass Effect 2.

Ash 937

Ash 937

If I had to chose between one way to view the game and another, I'd opt for a game without any grain.  The more "authentically real" experience would be something without grain.  I don't want to feel like I'm "playing a movie" from the 1980's.  I'd like it to feel more like the way I'd see something like this with my own eyes.  I don't think that we should be led to believe that the marines in the film ever experienced their encounters with any grain. LOL.

Cellien

Cellien

I understand that, although I feel like hard edged 3D graphics usually don't feel realistic or authentic to me, just by the nature of it.  I like to see use of effects and post processing to soften those edges to get a more atmospheric feel going.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed