New Aliens series by John Layman/Sam Keith

Started by vikingspawn, Jul 28, 2011, 05:04:14 PM

Author
New Aliens series by John Layman/Sam Keith (Read 36,511 times)

Xenomrph

QuoteIn my personal opinion, I like to think that all of the life-cycles apply to the alien, they're just for different circumstances to ensure survival.
That's how the "Weyland-Yutani Archive" on the AvPR blu-ray approaches it - it reintroduced the egg-morphing concept into "the canon" and said it was an alternate method used in certain situations, but that the queen method is their normal reproductive method.

Lonely Universe

Maybe we spend more time discussing the new Keith/Laymen entry instead of bickering over the same life cycle and canon arguments that already have dedicated threads? For instance, the bobble head could have been an experiment conducted by human scientists in a lab which became over run and eventually hived. It doesn't likey have anything to do with Prometheus or the SJ's, as much as I would like for it too.

dragonthingy

Bad(ish) news.

John Layman and Sam Keith are in the credits for Dark Horse Presents #12, #13 and #14 (#15 isn't up yet), and are listed as writing Aliens in #12 and #13. Maybe by four-issue mini-series, he meant four-part serial.  :(

Good news

Ghost is getting rebooted in #13!  :D

shadowedge

Quote from: dragonthingy on May 07, 2012, 02:02:30 PM
Bad(ish) news.

John Layman and Sam Keith are in the credits for Dark Horse Presents #12, #13 and #14 (#15 isn't up yet), and are listed as writing Aliens in #12 and #13. Maybe by four-issue mini-series, he meant four-part serial.  :(

Good news

Ghost is getting rebooted in #13!  :D

Why is Layman's and Keith's new Alien series bad news?

Xenomrph

He was saying it was bad news that it wasn't an actual separate miniseries but was just a serialed story in DHP.

mastermoon

Wow is that a brand new Alien comic book series if so thats great.

When will it come out?.

Xenomrph

It's not, it's a new Aliens story being printed in a few issues of Dark Horse Presents.

SM

QuoteWhy is Layman's and Keith's new Alien series bad news?

Because-

shadowedge

Quote from: SM on May 08, 2012, 11:07:58 PM
QuoteWhy is Layman's and Keith's new Alien series bad news?

Because-

Where is that comic scan from? It looks so familiar.

SM

Earth War.

The first time Sam Kieth did Aliens.

And sucked hard.

dragonthingy

I think a massive reason for the bad art in Earth War was the absolutely abominable colouring Dark horse had in the late 80's and early 90's. I think it reached its worst in Earth War and Rogue (good god, Rogue). The colouring for the DHP cover is noticeably better.

SM

The colouring, while bad, was only one factor.  The artwork was simply rubbish.  And the writing wasn't much better to be honest.

Coming off the heels of Book 2 only made it 100 times worse.

shadowedge

To be fair the 90s were a terrible time for comic coloring.

Computers were just getting good and affordable enough for companies to use digital coloring and digital color separation, but most of it sucked. It was a trial period. There were some good computer colorists, but it didn't become widespread until the late 90s/early 2000s. Also the popular digital coloring style of the 90s was airbrushing and it didn't quite work usually.

The 80s still used manual hand coloring, and as a result the coloring was not as detailed, but they felt more solid. The 2000s-current digital coloring just blows everything else away though in terms of detail and effects though.

SM

I don't buy that as an excuse.  Book 2 was awesome as it gets (okay it was airbrushed).  But there were many Aliens comics that followed in the early 90s that didn't have shit artwork or colouring.  Some did, but a lot didn't.

alienfan95610

SM is right...kinda just the facts  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed