Space Jockey and Giant Head Pilot Confirmed

Started by Darkoo, Feb 21, 2011, 08:55:11 AM

Author
Space Jockey and Giant Head Pilot Confirmed (Read 35,413 times)

Darkoo

Darkoo

http://movies.sky.com/prometheus-latest-space-jockey-and-giant-head-pilot-confirmed

QuoteThe mysterious 'space jockey' skeleton that appeared in the opening scenes of Alien is being designed as an eight-foot animatronic for the sci-fi thriller Prometheus.

An insider revealed to Sky Movies that the character is being designed under the guidance of original Alien designer HR Giger.

And it's not the only weird alien being designed by Ridley Scott, who is pressing ahead with his plans to depict a giant head piloting a ship, although that particular effect is likely to be CGI.

Alien 30Ridley Scott on set of AlienThe movie was originally a prequel to director Ridley Scott's Alien, but has since developed into a project in its own right after Lost creator Damon Lindelof developed the script.

But while Scott and Lindelof attempt to distance their project from the Alien franchise, it seems the "Space Jockey" will appear, alive and kicking, in the movie.

There has been a huge amount of speculation over the past months as to what will and won't appear in the movie, but an insider told Sky Movies, "I've had further confirmation that the Space Jockey creature is definitely in Prometheus and has been built as an eight foot animatronic.

"I've also had it confirmed that HR Giger is working on the project but only in an advisory capacity. By the way, people are going to be in for a shock when they sit down to watch Prometheus and there's an enormous semi-human head piloting a spaceship."

It's not just the pre-production that's taking shape, as the casting department continue to find the right acting talent for the project. Noomi Rapace (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) and Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds) look set to join Oscar-winner Charlize Theron on the set, while Scoot McNairy, who recently found internation success with his part in the low-budget thriller Monsters, is also said to be up for a role.

Salt The Fries

Whoopie-f**kin-doo, I'm impressed!

Darkoo

"I've also had it confirmed that HR Giger is working on the project but only in an advisory capacity. By the way, people are going to be in for a shock when they sit down to watch Prometheus and there's an enormous semi-human head piloting a spaceship."

OMG people are going to be in shock when they sit down to watch Prometheus!!! :o :o :o

JaaayDee

That head better not move or speak with its mouth at all, otherwise it'll look f!cking silly as hell

Highland

Strange they went with the animatronic. Not that it bothers me either way.

Looked bigger than 8 foot in the chair though.

Head pilot? Doesn't really fit does it. Phantom Menace all over again. 

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Highland on Feb 21, 2011, 09:43:22 AM
Because they used kids in panoramic shots.

GREAT news! I am officially hyped... again.

Corporal Hicks

Glad to hear the Jockey isn't going to be a CGI creation. Am extremely interested in seeing how they create the look of its movement. Am curious and slightly worried about this head pilot though. I'm worried about how it'll all fit in.

But extremely pleased about the connections to the Alien universe.

skull-splitter

Great news.

Vulhala

Alexa Chung

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 21, 2011, 11:05:15 AM

so they'll just use kids around the animatronic then?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

If they want to make it look bigger, most probably.
Or they will digitally enhance its size. Who knows. But since it's Ridley Scott behind, he may mantain the tradition.

emperorjordan

Interesting.  We now have:

- Some form of some species of alien DNA being discovered on another planet/Earth
- An/another alien world where the bulk of the story may occur
- Possibly the Derelict crash-landing/seen again in some capacity
- The 'real' Space Jockey - the creature inside

Speculating as to the plot structure hurts my head.

Shasvre

Excellent news. :)

Highland

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 21, 2011, 11:05:15 AM

GREAT news! I am officially hyped... again.

No doubt. Still doesn't explain why it's only 8 foot tall. I'd guess at least 10 from memory of the scene.

If it's THAT Space Jockey. I guess they could use Camera tricks. Never quite works out the same though.

Byohzrd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-wcuNBaZsg#noexternalembed
since when did the gorillaz start designing interstellar space craft pilots? :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed