Kelly O'Brien - What type of soldier?

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Jan 14, 2007, 05:18:24 PM

Author
Kelly O'Brien - What type of soldier? (Read 2,524 times)

The Ultimate Predator

I hope political correctness doesn't screw this up and portray her as a fighter in her soldier side - its a fact that women don't fight alongside men frontline. It would pee me off a lot if this happens.

XxSaNdMaNxX

XxSaNdMaNxX

actually altimate  woman do fight along side of man now especailly in this bum war of iraq ....

SiL

SiL

The usual - Tough, grizzled, seen hell, let her work come before her family, married to her job, an utter hard-ass but with a clear heart of Gold.

Meathead320

Meathead320

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on Jan 14, 2007, 05:18:24 PM
I hope political correctness doesn't screw this up and portray her as a fighter in her soldier side - its a fact that women don't fight alongside men frontline. It would pee me off a lot if this happens.

I spent 12 months in Iraq, early 2004- early 2005.

I was Mech infantry, Baghdad, QRF for route Irish.

First hand, we had no female soldier in my company, BUT I know for a fact that these days female soldiers are in harms way more than ever before.  We did have female soldiers attached to us as medics, and they too see just as much action as the men.

Combat medics, MPs, Transport etc... All of these jobs are outside the wire, in the shit, and they still have the same chances of being hit with an IED.

You are right that we do not try to put women out there, and the majority is male, BUT the female role in the military has been going into battle more than ever before.

Another job that female soldiers do along side men is EOD. They go out and take apart EID's. One of the most dangerous jobs on earth. That and you can end up getting RPG'ed or AK fire at any time. Women can and do see action these days.

The Ultimate Predator

I'm not doubting any of that. But they don't fight, alongside men, oin the frontline. Fact, sorry XxSaNdMaNxX, but you are wrong.

QuoteThe usual - Tough, grizzled, seen hell, let her work come before her family, married to her job, an utter hard-ass but with a clear heart of Gold.

Thats is exactly what I am worried about.

Meathead320

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on Jan 15, 2007, 03:08:25 PM
But they don't fight, alongside men, oin the frontline.

First there is not exactly a "Front line" anymore. It is more like policing a country in chaos.

We go on active patrols in bad guy land, Iraqi cities, trying to flush out insurgents, raid buildings and houses looking for weapons caches, or based on intelligence that hostages are there.

We actively respond to firefights, and the medics carry weapons and return fire just like every one else unless someone gets hurt, then we cover them while the work on the wounded.

If you mean the "front line" as figure of speech, then the US Military DOES PUT WOMEN ON THE FRONT LINE.

MPs, Combat Medics, EOD, even transportation, are ALL ON THE FRONT LINE.

They do not put women into infantry school, or Infantry, and most artillery jobs, but they get attached to them once they are on the ground.

There are LESS women on the "front lines", but there are still some there.

The Ultimate Predator

QuoteThey do not put women into infantry school, or Infantry, and most artillery jobs, but they get attached to them once they are on the ground.

That is what I mean. They are not trained to fight. They may have to, but that isn't what they primarily do, but some men do.

Meathead320

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on Jan 15, 2007, 06:35:01 PM
QuoteThey do not put women into infantry school, or Infantry, and most artillery jobs, but they get attached to them once they are on the ground.

That is what I mean. They are not trained to fight. They may have to, but that isn't what they primarily do, but some men do.

All Soldiers and Marines are trained to fight.

The basics are taught to everyone.

Infantry school will cover some of the finer points, but basic combat is taught to every one.

Besides, what do you think one learns more from; Being trained for combat, or Being IN combat?

Well, a lot of females have done both.

The Ultimate Predator

You are not understanding me. Women are not trained to run around with men, with guns, primarily to fight. They may have to fight, of course, and are trained in case they get into those situations, but that is not what they primarily do.

Meathead320

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on Jan 16, 2007, 03:01:47 PM
You are not understanding me. Women are not trained to run around with men, with guns, primarily to fight. They may have to fight, of course, and are trained in case they get into those situations, but that is not what they primarily do.

Have you served in the US military?

Have you served on the ground in Iraq or Afghanistan?

I have, and I have met some pretty hardened female soldiers.

Regardless of weather the Army originally intended for it. Times are changing.

You are correct that they are put in harms way less, but that is it. Just less. It still happens.

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Meathead320 on Jan 16, 2007, 06:54:18 PM

You are correct that they are put in harms way less, but that is it. Just less. It still happens.

I know that. Of course there are hardened women, and fo course they are trained in basic combat. But that is nor primarily what they do, as you said. And if AvP2 makes it out as if she primarily does what the men can only do, then its stupid, because women don't do that.

You keep on saying that they are involved in combat, yes, of course, and they have to be trained for it, but primarily that is not what they are trained to do, its left to the men. Why? Because generally speaking men have better upper body strength, and more importantly, because men feel more inclined to go back to help fellow women over men.

Meathead320

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on Jan 16, 2007, 08:15:38 PM
Quote from: Meathead320 on Jan 16, 2007, 06:54:18 PM

I know that. Of course there are hardened women, and fo course they are trained in basic combat. But that is nor primarily what they do, as you said. And if AvP2 makes it out as if she primarily does what the men can only do, then its stupid, because women don't do that.

You keep on saying that they are involved in combat, yes, of course, and they have to be trained for it, but primarily that is not what they are trained to do, its left to the men. Why? Because generally speaking men have better upper body strength, and more importantly, because men feel more inclined to go back to help fellow women over men.

Ok, I can agree with most of that, men do have more stength, we don't try to put women in harms way.

If in AVP she acts as a girly girl, but then is also supposed to be a combat hardened warrior, that too will piss me off. I can tell you first hand that the women who have been in the shit are not going to behave the way a lot of actresses do in movie roles.

That being said, I think Sigourney did a decent job in A1-A3 of being a human women a little hardened.

The Ultimate Predator

I totally agree.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed