*AvP:3 (Mesozoic Era)[Very Gritty/BLOODY Take on AvP/ Raptor - Alien Fight]*

Started by SublimeDBC, Jun 21, 2007, 11:56:08 PM

Author
*AvP:3 (Mesozoic Era)[Very Gritty/BLOODY Take on AvP/ Raptor - Alien Fight]* (Read 15,766 times)

Nychus

Like I already said, SM, fiction of any kind cannot be completely based around "realism" because then it won't be as entertaining. That's the price all audiovisual/text based material has to pay, sadly. It's a shame that many people get tangled to these inconsistencies as they're used to see it around them everyday. That just spoils the fun, if you asked me. The only "realism" that I really see as important is the storyline itself, something people skip a lot more often than the impossibility of a character flying bullet fast with a jet pack without getting hurt. :P ::)

I also assume that the Raptor in this story is somewhat like the Jurassic Park ones, correct?

SM

QuoteLike I already said, SM, fiction of any kind cannot be completely based around "realism" because then it won't be as entertaining.

In a lot of cases yes.  In this case - bollocks.

Can we accept giant velociraptors?  Yes.  JP has made raptors of this size universally acceptable, so only people who are too technical by half will have a problem with it.  Mind you it would've been better to simply call the dinosaur "raptor".  So if people start pointing out inconsistencies you can always say they're Utahraptors which are about the correct size.

The main and most blindingly obvious mistake here is Alien acid.  Obviously it isn't corrosive anymore.  Once the Raptor bites a chunk out of the Aliens head, it's good night Raptor.  He's got a mouth full of acid.  Realistic or not you still have to obey the rules that have already been laid down.  This story - and I use the term loosely because there is no actual story - ignores those rules for the sake of staging something "cool".  ie. All style no substance.

What would've better would be for the raptor to wound the Alien, cop a minor acid wound, then think "Well I better not do that again" and figure out some other way of the taking the Alien out that doesn't involve bloodshed.  OR turn tail and try to escape the Alien because with the acid it's not a viable source of food anymore.  That would be interesting and inventive.  Not some superficial fight sequence.

SublimeDBC

AvP is unrealistic

..so i dunno if thats good or bad

SM

Neither.  It's just irrelevant.

Nychus

I thought the story was good atleast from it's detailed description of the fight. Otherwise SM is right, it's kinda plain.

To me it seems that in this story the acid wasn't as corrosive as in the films. Remember, the Raptor still did get burned severely.

SM

Later in the fight it seemed to have an effect - but early on there's no effect at all.  And even when it does the raptor stupidly keeps fighting.  I thought these things were supposed to be vaguely intelligent.

SublimeDBC

The raptor wasnt fighting the alien for food..it was fighting to defend its life

this wasnt  meant to be a deep story...
simple enough its just a fight that would be interesting in a film..

-yes they are JP velociraptors who knows the preds could have enhanced them etc. the story does not say we cannot answer that..
just appreciate the fight because there not much stories like it..notice the HEAD of an alien contains brain not acid thats what i was thinking when i wrote that scene..in avp when scar cuts that alien head with the disc it doesnt spew acid its just brain inside..

but yeah theyre *some* flaws but hell its interesting to read and i put A LOT into the description and intense fight 

i particually like the queen annihilating the raptor at the end :)

SM

QuoteThe raptor wasnt fighting the alien for food..it was fighting to defend its life

So why didn't it run?  No, it's not a deep story, but it could've been if , as I said, you actually factored the acid into it properly and then have the raptor trying to kill the Alien without getting doused in acid.  As we see in the Alien films - what's the point if you can just shoot the Alien?  Turns out you can't because of the acid.  Trying to figure a way around this problem shows creativity.

Quotein avp when scar cuts that alien head with the disc it doesnt spew acid its just brain inside..

Scar didn't bite it.  And Aliens and Resurrection both show us they have acid in their heads.

happypred

happypred

this link is for all you whiners who think raptors are too small (yes they were fictionalized in Jurassic Park...but what they really did was call the dinosaur below a raptor)

http://internt.nhm.ac.uk/jdsml/nature-online/dino-directory/detail.dsml?Genus=Deinonychus

Noir-Gojira

Deinonychus has always been Deinonychus.  The term 'raptor' has only been attached to it after Jurassic Park.

happypred

happypred

uhhhhh....the point isn't that the alien has to fight a dinosaur named "velociraptor" the point is that a dinosaur existed that closely resembled a velociraptor from Jurassic Park...all I was trying to prove is that the Jurassic Park raptor was based on a real dinosaur, the name isn't important

Uncanny Antman

The story said it was a velociraptor, not "a dinosaur which looked like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park".

The name is important.  Just as important as all those other nouns and verbs that the story wouldn't exist without.

SM

Quotethe name isn't important

Yes, as the Antman said, it is.  However as you've no doubt read, if it was just left as 'raptor' (eg. Utahraptor) - no big deal.

Nychus

I actually can't see what's the big deal in this whole thread. SublimeDBC wrote a well described fight between two fictional beasts, the other being more based on now extinct species. So it wasn't believable. Deal with it. There's so many things we can not aknowledge in scenarios we've never witnessed so trying to say that something "wasn't believable" is all moot. That's it in a nutshell. No point to debate this any further.

Great story, SDCB. ;) 8)

Uncanny Antman

He asked for feedback, dingus.  People gave it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed