Aliens vs. Predator Requiem

Started by Alien Warrior, Apr 05, 2009, 11:28:26 PM

is there anybody on this site that actually enjoyed AvP-R...? or am I the only one

Great movie
16 (13.7%)
ok movie
24 (20.5%)
so so movie
19 (16.2%)
bad movie
16 (13.7%)
absolutely terrible
42 (35.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author
Aliens vs. Predator Requiem (Read 19,284 times)

Alien Warrior

I truthfully enjoyed AvP-R. I thought it was a decent movie with only a few minor issues that could have been corrected. Specifically... I thought it was way to short. I hated the bomb being dropped to end the story... we will never know who won the Pred or the Predalien... and the amount of time dedicated to developing shitty characters that we dont really care about anyways. That said... I thought the aliens looked as good as they did in Aliens, the pred was an ultimate badass, and the homages were a great step forward from paul weasel shit anderson's absolute disregard for accepted fact. Please let me know what you thought about the movie truthfully.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

utter trash. in every way shape and form.

Cetanu

Cetanu

I don't particularly care what other people say, my first time watching it: I enjoyed...except for the end.

Alien Warrior

Quote from: Spaghetti on Apr 05, 2009, 11:41:59 PM

give examples! dont just trash it. if you hated it that much explain your reasoning. that is why i opened this thread.

Alien Warrior

Quote from: Cetanu on Apr 05, 2009, 11:58:06 PM
I don't particularly care what other people say, my first time watching it: I enjoyed...except for the end.

i totally agree. the end was absolutely terrible. to use a cheap tactic like a bomb to conviently destroy everything... poorly executed.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Quote from: Alien Warrior on Apr 06, 2009, 01:25:20 AM

give examples! dont just trash it. if you hated it that much explain your reasoning. that is why i opened this thread.

horrible acting, stupid plot, retarded designs for predalien as well as crappy alien suits, corny teen drama, dumb preds, pussy aliens, darkness...ect

if you wanted to know my reasoning as well as many others, why not just check the archives in the AVP movies section? there are dozens of threads like this made months ago.

Alien Warrior

Quote from: Spaghetti on Apr 06, 2009, 02:47:20 AM
Quote from: Alien Warrior on Apr 06, 2009, 01:25:20 AM

horrible acting, stupid plot, retarded designs for predalien as well as crappy alien suits, corny teen drama, dumb preds, pussy aliens, darkness...ect

if you wanted to know my reasoning as well as many others, why not just check the archives in the AVP movies section? there are dozens of threads like this made months ago.

understandable... everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I just wanted to open this thread to see what kind of responses were given. I was tired of fishing through a bunch of other random posts and not really getting an anwser. As for your claims... in my opinion...
1- I dont care about the human acting in an avp movie... i want aliens and preds.
2- I thought the plot was a lot better then the first avp.
3- how would you have designed the predalien then?
4- the suits were incredibly similar to the style that James Cameron used in ALIENS. if you dont believe me watch the quadrilolgy bonus material.
5- who really gives a shit about the corny teen drama... I agree it was useless... however, it is very satisfying to watch the corny teens die which is what i believe the "drama" was intended to do.
6- "Dumb Preds" the Wolf was not dumb... he was a f*ckin savage in my opinion, the other preds that died early on needed to in order to erase them from the storyline... products of paul weasel shit anderson that had to go.
7- I dont think the aliens were "pussy" that completely obliterated an entire squad of national guards... ok ok not that great of an accomplishment 2 monthes a year- nothing like Colonial Marines.
8-I do agree that the directors shot it way to dark. you can hardly see some crucial aspects of the film.

In the end, I still think it is a good movie despite your attempts to trash it.

The Necronoir

Do we really need another one of these pointless opinion polls?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Necronoir on Apr 06, 2009, 04:52:54 AM
Do we really need another one of these pointless opinion polls?
Apparently!

So let's get this over with:

Steaming pile of incompetent wank.

It's a bad movie. No ifs, no buts, no maybes, it's a bad film. Whether someone finds it enjoyable is up to the individual, whatever. But it's a shit film.

The writing is appalling. The characters are almost entirely uninteresting and largely faceless. We're never given any reason to care when someone dies, because they've either only been onscreen ten seconds or they were never likable. Both chances - Ricky and Dallas - that the film did have to elicit an emotional response, it wasted.

It's never allowed to sink in that the Aliens have taken over the town. It goes from zero to a hundred in a heart beat. It should've been terrifying. It had the potential for really interesting and creepy scenes, but instead they threw it out the window and had the characters tell you it was bad. What a load of crap! That's like going to see Titanic, except you don't see the boat sink, you just hear Rose explain it.

"And ... and then the boat hit an ice-berg and ... and it sank!" WOW.

There is no tension. Not only is every single counter a foregone conclusion, but the directors don't even friggin' try. Salerno, from all accounts, actually had Wolf having a hard time with the normal Aliens in some circumstances - his last fight was meant to be between two Aliens that tear him apart - but then the Strause Brothers came in and made Wolf walk over everything. That doesn't make him a badass cleaner, that makes the Aliens look pathetic and makes him look like a barely competent janitor. Where's the f**king skill in killing something that seemingly refuses to fight back when you're literally within arm's reach?

Which brings me to the Aliens, period. They were crap. Utter crap. This is Aliens vs. Predator, you can't just suck off the Pred fanboys because they got upset that their Predators weren't unkillable gods in the previous movie. The Aliens were completely neutered. They were as threatening as a soggy towel being thrown at you from around a corner - You might jump a little, but that's about it.

They looked terrible to boot. Every single shot either looked like a man in a suit or CGI.

It also just ignored everything it possibly could. Anderson at least kept the Aliens unknown from the general population by killing them all. AvPR ignores the fact no-one knows shit about the Aliens until the Alien films by having the military get footage of them. It ignores the Alien's life-cycle and shoe-horns in its own nonsensical bullshit. Acid blood? What acid blood, it's only there when it's convenient. Silent stalkers? Ha!

The film also had a completely lack of logic to it. Not only did it ignore what previous films said, it ignored what it said. It's not just external logic that gets shitcanned - It's internal logic as well, and that's just really, really shitty writing. At least Anderson was consistent with what he set up for his own film.

But to save ranting free-form, I'll rant in response form!

Quote from: Alien Warrior on Apr 06, 2009, 03:11:28 AM
1- I dont care about the human acting in an avp movie... i want aliens and preds.
Then what the hell's the point? Just Aliens and Predators fighting? That's not a good movie, and that's going to get really old, really quickly. These franchises started on solid bases of having characters you cared about, then killing them off one by one. Yeah, it's called Alien - It's not 90 minutes of loving close-ups of the thing walking around the ship, just like Predator isn't about watching the Predator run around the jungle.

Quote2- I thought the plot was a lot better then the first avp.
It was generic crap. At least AvP tried.

Quote4- the suits were incredibly similar to the style that James Cameron used in ALIENS. if you dont believe me watch the quadrilolgy bonus material.
Sorry, but you're clearly blind. The only similarity - The only similarity - was the fact that they both had ridged heads. That. Was. It. The body was still the same fleshy body design that we've had since Alien Resurrection. They were reusing the same molds. The head is also entirely different. They had access to one of the original Aliens heads as reference, and then did something that looked entirely different.

Look at them side-by-side. They are not the same. They are not "incredibly similar". They are not even vaguely alike detail-wise outside of a few basic proportions. They are ass. They are men in fleshy floppy rubber suits.

Quote5- who really gives a shit about the corny teen drama...
People who realise the franchise is better than that shit.

Quote6- "Dumb Preds" the Wolf was not dumb... he was a f*ckin savage in my opinion,
What did he do? Honestly, the hell did he do that showed any kind of skill? Scar's slicing the Alien's face off and impaling the Queen through the head showed more fighting skill and prowess than anything Wolf managed to do.

What the heck kind'a "elite cleaner" just stands there with two damned Aliens hanging off the ends of his hands? If the Aliens had decided to actually do anything - anything other than just hang there and flail - Wolf would have been dead.

Quote7- I dont think the aliens were "pussy"
Then you really don't think anything of Aliens.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

SiL said it all. It's pointless for someone else to add on to that, and it's pointless for someone to try and counter that.

End.

Awgustas

Awgustas

I'd say an "ok ok movie". I say that probably, 'cause I'm an extremely big fan... It wasn't that bad, but there's still one scene I Fu**ing hate - "Are the monsters gone mommy?" - FAIL

Johnny Handsome

Quotebecause they got upset that their Predators weren't unkillable gods in the previous movie.
No, that wasn't the problem and shows that you don't understand a damn thing. They were simply not Predators, period.
They didn't act the same, they didn't sounded the same and they didn't feel the same, and I'm not even talking about scars horrible facial design.

You're constantly bitching about the aliens in AvP-R when infact it was the same shit with the Predators in the first AvP, but hey, the aliens were OK so were just going to close our eyes over that.
QuoteAvPR ignores the fact no-one knows shit about the Aliens until the Alien films
Man, you're such a big alien fan and you didn't even manage to understand the plot of the first movie.
They were send there by the company so ash could capture the goddamn alien. Ripley finds out about that special order and that the crew is expendable. That was the whole thing why Ash wanted to kill Ripley in the first place.
Ripley: "What was your special order?"
Ash: "You have read it, i thought it was clear"
Ripley: "What was it?"
Ash: "bring back life form, priority one. All other priorities rescinded."

It makes me laugh how ignorant some of you are, even in the Special features Ridley Scott, the director, said that the company already knew about the alien.
And its getting clear that there is something about Ash because the other scientific guy was replaced and Ripley doesn't trust him. He's studying the thing, and when Parker wanted to kill it as a chestburster he got in between saying "Don't touch it!!".

Really, its not even funny anymore how you managed to keep telling yourself that this little sideplot doesn't even exist.

Blablabla, it was the first time someone saw an Alien blablabla... No   :) just simply No.

That was the whole idea of the AvP movies introducing the weyland and Yutani characters and setting things up so that the company knew about the alien.
It wasn't bad writing or shitting on canon, it was done out of purpose. After all, they are prequels to the Alien movies and they set that whole thing up about the company knowing about the aliens.

Corporal Hicks

Just to butt in. They knew there was an alien on LV426. Specifically 426. Because of the Jockey distress signal.

How does that include AvPR? Did the Predator pistol have coordinates to Lv426 which diagrams and descriptions? Did the crotch piece have some sort of detailed account of the Predators finding the Aliens from the Jockey ship?

Johnny Handsome

QuoteHow does that include AvPR? Did the Predator pistol have coordinates to Lv426 which diagrams and descriptions?
The pistol was never meant to be responsible to find the Aliens or anything but just to push us forward in technology.

Its not like they have the gun and the next day they can build spaceships, after all the first Alien takes place 150 years into the future.

Just look at how technology made quantum leaps in the last 50 years, add alien tech to that and you got yourself spaceships in 150 years. At least that was the whole idea of the Predator gun at then end, but who knows what they did to it or what they actually used it for.

QuoteDid the crotch piece have some sort of detailed account of the Predators finding the Aliens from the Jockey ship?
The first Alien takes place 150 years into the future, we don't know what happens between this period of time. Maybe there was more battles between humans, Aliens and Predators, we don't know that. Maybe the humans have some sort of deal with the jockeys to deliver Aliens to them, the ship crashes on LV426 and the jockeys contact the human kind to where they can find the "cargo". Theories after theories can be done but one thing is clear, they were send there because the company knew about the aliens, hence why they replaced the scientific with ash two days before they got off into space with the mission to bring back the life form and that the crew is expendable. This is clearly stated in the movie.

Corporal Hicks

Astounding. Truly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed