Budgets and old fashioned scrap!

Started by Highland, May 15, 2007, 01:04:05 PM

Author
Budgets and old fashioned scrap! (Read 7,809 times)

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2007, 02:16:20 AM
Don't worry I did.  If we had karma points...  ;D
...then I'd likely be around minus fifty, judging from some other threads (Some of which are now deleted.)  I never did get around to reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People."  ...maybe I should have.  ;)

Highland

Highland

QuoteYay or Nay?

How can anyone answer that in this case?

And it's 'matte' with an 'e'.
[/quote]

SM not to be to harsh on you (if we are picking holes), but if anyone can Answer that question its you my man..... 

I looked at your posts on the Egg Morphing subject, looks like you've got the Alien life cycle not only from start to finish , but it now takes 90 minutes.......(is that between killings? or all up?)

Thats pretty impressive from one scene inserted a few years back and one paragraph in a book...

Your good man! 

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: highlandpred on May 16, 2007, 12:00:10 PM
Yay or Nay?

Nay.   A film cannot be made for $50 million using so-called old school techniques and be made to seem like a $250 million film using current technology. 

And once again, the question is biased because films aren't made today with just CG.  Films (for the most part) are made using a combination of all techniques, ranging from state of the art CG, to model work, to prosthetics. 

Highland

Highland

Again??? Maybe its my writing style.....  ;D

Aliens cost 18 million, Alien cost 11 million. 

Spiderman cost $250 million... !!!!

Which films looked better? in my opinion the 20 year old cheap ones. Money = nothing.

And if you want to go down the road of Inflation.....

The Matrix $60 million? 28 days later $5 Million!!!!! and Children of Men $72 Million 

The above 3 movies I would consider Solid, almost Classic Sci Fi Movies. That would sit pretty in any collection.

You can make a $50-$60-$70 Million Aliens Vs Predator without Lashing it with Billion dollar CGI scenes.  All you need is a solid cast and a good Script. 

I guess I'm just pissed off that fox made a $50 million piece of Pants and because of that we now have to go down the road of "Earth Settings" , which no-one wants.

The Ultimate Predator

I possibly agree. However, I wouldn't say money=nothing. Some films need big budgets.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: highlandpred on May 17, 2007, 01:06:14 PM
You can make a $50-$60-$70 Million Aliens Vs Predator without Lashing it with Billion dollar CGI scenes.  All you need is a solid cast and a good Script. 

I guess I'm just pissed off that fox made a $50 million piece of Pants and because of that we now have to go down the road of "Earth Settings" , which no-one wants.
As I've said before, AvP's problems do not lie with the budget.

60 million is just fine for what they made.  They did not have a good script.  But they also did not lash it with billion dollar CG.  It is pants because it is...not because Fox wouldn't throw more money at it.  And not because there is some CG in it.

And "28 Days Later"?  Please.  It's basically a drama with a few flashy bits.  Of course it was cheaply made.

[Edited to fix lousy spelling.]

Highland

Highland

Of course, your right , it is pants and its nothing to do with the Budget, But foxes lack of vision and lack of respect has ploughed us into ..Dawsons Creek Vs Alien Vs Predator.

Budget has nothing to do if a film is bad or good, it provides and an extra scene here and there and a "wow" scene here and there.....

Basically they had a Gold mine on there hands, a potential New trilogy, a new path to follow and they blew it, big time. 

Ps... 28 days Later was thrown in there to show just how good people can do with a shoe string budget and a idea thats been Re-hashed a billion and 1 times........

Just like Aliens and predator  ;)

Highland

Highland

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on May 17, 2007, 01:34:51 PM
I possibly agree. However, I wouldn't say money=nothing. Some films need big budgets.

I agree, Some do, I suppose it should have read Money does not buy Success!

uhhhhh

uhhhhh

Is it raining in here?

SM

SM

QuoteSM not to be to harsh on you (if we are picking holes), but if anyone can Answer that question its you my man..... 

I looked at your posts on the Egg Morphing subject, looks like you've got the Alien life cycle not only from start to finish , but it now takes 90 minutes.......(is that between killings? or all up?)

Thats pretty impressive from one scene inserted a few years back and one paragraph in a book...

Your good man! 

Relevance?

QuoteBasically they had a Gold mine on there hands, a potential New trilogy, a new path to follow and they blew it, big time.

Again with the bullshit.  Fox made money out of AvP.  Enough to make another AvP.  By their rationale - which as a business is to turn a profit - they didn't blow anything, big time or otherwise.

Highland

Highland

Relevance, none, just like My spelling of Matt without an E...... ;) 

Ok, so they did'nt blow it, they followed in the footsteps of Scott, Cameron, Fincher and Jeunet....(yep, the last movie might have sucked, but he's a dam good director).......

and hired Paul Anderson, slapped the net with the best clips and made some nice toys for the kiddies to play with.   

Thankfully, since it made so much money, we can now look forward to X-men extras and the  guy from Miami Vice battle it out against our Favorite creatures.....

Amen, I'm out......

(and colin if you've happened to stumble across this post, I think you guys are top notch with the fan interaction and all, i wish you could have done the first one, all the best!)

SM

SM

Quotejust like My spelling of Matt without an E......

No that's just dumb ignorance coming from someone pining for the "good old days".

Highland

Highland

nope, wrong again bud, no response from My AVP opinions i see?

The good old days are well gone, we're into a new period now.

But somehow, i dont have the same urge to stick on Spider Man 3 or Star wars , or even lord of the rings for that matter into my DVD player.

I like watching Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, The Thing.......

Just a bunch of cheap movies, made on a shoe string budget, with guys in costume and model kits. 

Hey man, I'm cool with it, I respect your opinion and a guy with some fight in him, I'm just as stubborn!!! no one wants to get shown up , so I'll back down!

We've got a new AVP to look forward to SM!!! all the best mate..I'm off to bed!

SM

SM

Quoteno response from My AVP opinions i see?

Nor will there be.  No point in arguing with an opinion.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: highlandpred on May 18, 2007, 01:28:43 AM
I like watching Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, The Thing.......
Just a bunch of cheap movies, made on a shoe string budget, with guys in costume and model kits. 

They were not made on shoe-string budgets.  This is thirty years ago, when the budgets these films were getting were often times extravagant, just as they are today.

Were all of them cheaply made? No.
Were all of them expensively made?  No.

Are all modern movies made cheaply?  No.
Are all modern movies made expensively?  No.

There is no correlation between a film's budget and whether or not it is a good movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed