Continuity: How important is it

Started by RIJOENPIAL, Apr 03, 2007, 05:44:02 PM

Author
Continuity: How important is it (Read 9,410 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 03, 2007, 10:39:52 PM
Your expectations are too high, because you are saying that an AvP movie has to live up to the originals, but they will never do,

Why not?

Why couldn't they at least just be well made movies, and not something you look back on thinking 'It was good fun with some good effects, not much else'?

How the hell is that asking too much?

Quotebut it will never raise up to the original Alien or Predator movies because these avp movies are just action flicks and they dont want to be more,

My point is that Alien was 'just' a sci-fi monster movie until a whole group of talented individuals came on board and made something better. Why can't I expect the same of AvP 2?

That's my problem. Why must it play by the numbers? Why can't I expect the people making the movie to try and be something better, and succeed? If they don't want to be more, then what the hell are they doing trying to follow up classics which deliberatley ignored the cliches and archetypes of their genre to be something better?

QuoteThat was a terrible mistake the most People did with the first avp, they were expecting the movie would rise up to the originals and were dissapointed, i was watching the movie with the thought that it is a fun popcorn action flick and it was doing a fine job then.

If wanting consistency and a good movie is so much to ask from these movies then f**k it, there's no hope left for them any more.

inkedcraig

inkedcraig

For the predalien to mature,then take out the ship ect it would need to be in orbit for along time. If we are ment o believe the preds are so much more advanced they would be out of earths gravity pull within mins. Sorry but i dont by it nor will i if thats the story. I mean did any of you actaully see 1) The size of the ship  2) the amount of preds on there. Its another of andersons crappy plotholes, Giving us the wow fact at the end just to be cool.

A ship that size,moving that fast would make a huge amount of noise/damage if it were to crash. AS it came into our atmophere it would catch fire alone on the outside. I mean come on.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2007, 10:48:44 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 03, 2007, 10:39:52 PM
Your expectations are too high, because you are saying that an AvP movie has to live up to the originals, but they will never do,

Why not?

Why couldn't they at least just be well made movies, and not something you look back on thinking 'It was good fun with some good effects, not much else'?

How the hell is that asking too much?

Quotebut it will never raise up to the original Alien or Predator movies because these avp movies are just action flicks and they dont want to be more,

My point is that Alien was 'just' a sci-fi monster movie until a whole group of talented individuals came on board and made something better. Why can't I expect the same of AvP 2?

That's my problem. Why must it play by the numbers? Why can't I expect the people making the movie to try and be something better, and succeed? If they don't want to be more, then what the hell are they doing trying to follow up classics which deliberatley ignored the cliches and archetypes of their genre to be something better?

QuoteThat was a terrible mistake the most People did with the first avp, they were expecting the movie would rise up to the originals and were dissapointed, i was watching the movie with the thought that it is a fun popcorn action flick and it was doing a fine job then.

If wanting consistency and a good movie is so much to ask from these movies then f**k it, there's no hope left for them any more.
They can be well made movies, but i dont think that we will ever get a "classic" Alien or Predator film, but people always talk about that the Story and the setting is bad for an avp movie, and now youre telling me that you have the highest expectations for this movie and youre hoping for a movie that is as good as the original movies. That just doesnt make any sense in my oppinion.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 03, 2007, 10:59:20 PM
They can be well made movies, but i dont think that we will ever get a "classic" Alien or Predator film, but people always talk about that the Story and the setting is bad for an avp movie, and now youre telling me that you have the highest expectations for this movie and youre hoping for a movie that is as good as the original movies. That just doesnt make any sense in my oppinion.

I'm not saying they have to be as good, just that they have to at least be good movies in their own right without the creatures fighting.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2007, 11:01:04 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 03, 2007, 10:59:20 PM

I'm not saying they have to be as good, just that they have to at least be good movies in their own right without the creatures fighting.
But thats the fun thing about the whole movie, the creatures fighting makes the movie good.

Dachande

Dachande

Thats one of the stupidest statements i've ever heard....

SM

SM

Quite.

No, a decent story would make the film good.  Fights would enhance it.

Aliens - the benchmark for Alien action - had a human core with the relationships between Ripley, Newt, Hicks, Bishop and Burke.  Plus it had stack of tension which lead up to great action sequences.  If it just had fights it woulda been as crappy as AvP.

Basically I couldn't agree with SiL more.

To expect a dopey AvP2 is realistic but sad.  Sad that we're conditioned to expect a turd set down in front of us and then go 'Well as turds go, it wasn't too bad'.

I'd like something as least as creative as any of the Alien flicks.  All of them added another dimension to the mythos in some way.  The most 'creative' aspects of AvP we're ripped straight out of comic books.

As far as continuity goes, I'm guessing (even secretly hoping) this flick destroys any link with the greater Alien series.  Maybe then I'll be able to enjoy it more without having "They've f**ked it up again" ringing in my head.

But we shall just have to wait an see.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SM on Apr 03, 2007, 11:15:56 PM
Quite.

No, a decent story would make the film good.  Fights would enhance it.

Aliens - the benchmark for Alien action - had a human core with the relationships between Ripley, Newt, Hicks, Bishop and Burke.  Plus it had stack of tension which lead up to great action sequences.  If it just had fights it woulda been as crappy as AvP.

Basically I couldn't agree with SiL more.

To expect a dopey AvP2 is realistic but sad.  Sad that we're conditioned to expect a turd set down in front of us and then go 'Well as turds go, it wasn't too bad'.

I'd like something as least as creative as any of the Alien flicks.  All of them added another dimension to the mythos in some way.  The most 'creative' aspects of AvP we're ripped straight out of comic books.

As far as continuity goes, I'm guessing (even secretly hoping) this flick destroys any link with the greater Alien series.  Maybe then I'll be able to enjoy it more without having "They've f**ked it up again" ringing in my head.

But we shall just have to wait an see.
Of course a decent story would make the film good, but the best moments are in my oppinion the a and p fights, and this should be in the spotlight, that was the mistake about the first avp, the fights were too short and werent really relevant.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Dachande2311 on Apr 03, 2007, 11:10:25 PM
Thats one of the stupidest statements i've ever heard....
I dont give a fuc...

SiL

SiL

The fights should be good, but in no way should they be the film's only redeeming quality.

beeko

beeko

there will never be another alien or predator movie like the originals
avp2 should be good but at the end of the day i dont think fox really care about
continuity, time will tell

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2007, 11:33:52 PM
The fights should be good, but in no way should they be the film's only redeeming quality.
I didnt say that, in my previous post i wanted to say that the fights makes the film better not that the whole movies quality should exists of the fights.
But if one is saying his oppinion one is getting ripped into peaces, thats the f**king problem from today.

SM

SM

No, people were disagreeing with this...

QuoteBut thats the fun thing about the whole movie, the creatures fighting makes the movie good.

...and you seem to be disgreeing with it too now.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2007, 12:27:29 AM
No, people were disagreeing with this...

QuoteBut thats the fun thing about the whole movie, the creatures fighting makes the movie good.

...and you seem to be disgreeing with it too now.
Yes i said it makes the film good, but what i meant is that it is just one thing that makes the film good, its a VS film, so that should be one of the good qualitys of the movie, otherwise it doesnt deserve the name VS. Does everybody know what i mean now.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Johnny Handsome, that was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. My jaw dropped, I was shocked and appalled! Story first, fights second. Brothers Strause says continuity will be taken care of.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed