ComicbookGirl Interviews Lance Henriksen

Started by RakaiThwei, Sep 11, 2014, 02:56:25 AM

Author
ComicbookGirl Interviews Lance Henriksen (Read 41,724 times)

SM

Oops.

Guess all that concept art for the film was done by accident.

predxeno

I meant deliberate proof that Ridley Scott knew he was deviating from the style of Alien, if all you have is concept art then I'm not impressed.

Xenomrph

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 03:14:45 AM
I meant deliberate proof that Ridley Scott knew he was deviating from the style of Alien, if all you have is concept art then I'm not impressed.
I'm gonna have to go with SM on this one, I'm pretty sure Ridley Scott knew what he was doing.

SM

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 03:14:45 AM

So the guy makes a movie with a deliberately old and battered tug as a reaction to things like Star Trek; then 30 years later he makes another movie, with a spaceship with a very different use and context - and he doesn't know what he's doing?

predxeno

I've seen a lot of directors who claim to know what they're doing but turn out not to, I don't give special credit when it isn't due.  Would you have defended Paul Anderson when he was making AVP or even the Strause Brothers when they were making AVPR?

SM

Depends - what am I defending them about?

predxeno

Perhaps eggbarfing.  Either way it's not important, I honestly don't see Ridley Scott seeing Alien as anything more than a cheap way to 2x Prometheus's viewing audience.

SiL

That would only make sense if Prometheus had started unrelated to Alien and then been shoehorned into a connection.

predxeno

It's not like there's any connection now though, anything that has been given isn't something that would firmly make it a story belonging into the Alien series (outside of a small easter egg scene) and the sequel is promised to have even fewer references; to me, this is Ridley Scott throwing away the Alien franchise for something else and just using it as a cheap marketing scheme.

TTT

TTT

:D

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Sep 12, 2014, 06:54:55 AM
That would only make sense if Prometheus had started unrelated to Alien and then been shoehorned into a connection.
To be fair, there was enough waffling back and forth early on in production as to whether or not Prometheus should be an Alien prequel (and to what degree) that one could argue that that was essentially the case. :P
I remember there being discussions on this very forum as to whether or not 'Prometheus' would actually be an Alien series movie, and if there'd be a subforum for it if it wasn't.

I'm of the opinion that Prometheus' connections to 'Alien' don't do either movie any favors, and Prometheus would have been a much more interesting movie had it ditched all overt connections to 'Alien' and done its own thing. Connecting to 'Alien' absolutely felt like a way to drive up ticket sales by capitalizing on that sweet, sweet built-in 'Alien' franchise $$$$$$$$$.

predxeno

^Exactly my point, Prometheus would have been an interesting enough story without the unnecessary Alien tie-in.

SM

QuotePerhaps eggbarfing.

Indefensible.

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 07:19:59 AM
It's not like there's any connection now though, anything that has been given isn't something that would firmly make it a story belonging into the Alien series (outside of a small easter egg scene) and the sequel is promised to have even fewer references; to me, this is Ridley Scott throwing away the Alien franchise for something else and just using it as a cheap marketing scheme.

Despite the fact it features the guy who created the Company everyone works for in the Alien films.  And oh yeah, one of those big guys in the chair from Alien.

lol "small easter egg".

I understand you don't like it that Prometheus did a big poo on the Weyland continuity of AvP, but your arguments lack any sort of coherence.  What happened to "everything is canon" and you can make it all work?

predxeno

First off, everything IS canon and I can make it all work.  Secondly, my point isn't to decanon-ify Prometheus but to point out how lazily fuzed it was into the Alien franchise; as I said, if you re-name all the characters and such then it easily becomes its own film, there's nothing uniquely Alien about it.

SM

They intentionally moved away from Alien - but kept the Space Jockeys.

You've already tried that argument and it too, held no water.  On any level.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed