Sterling K Brown in talks to join Shane Black's THE PREDATOR!!!

Started by ace3g, Jan 20, 2017, 01:29:33 AM

Author
Sterling K Brown in talks to join Shane Black's THE PREDATOR!!! (Read 39,209 times)

Master

Predators is on thesame medicority plane as AvP. Those films are complementary to me. Where one does right, other does wrong and vice versa.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Master on Apr 13, 2017, 07:56:09 AM
Going back to present time. I still don`t get, how going throught the most generic way, with new film, it`s going to enrich the franchise? Same goes with Super Predator concept. People didn`t like it in 2010, why go back to it?

I don't find the script generic. I don't think it has any relation to anything in Predators (which not a lot of people saw). You may or may not feel differently when the film comes out.

Master

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 13, 2017, 08:55:31 AM
Quote from: Master on Apr 13, 2017, 07:56:09 AM
Going back to present time. I still don`t get, how going throught the most generic way, with new film, it`s going to enrich the franchise? Same goes with Super Predator concept. People didn`t like it in 2010, why go back to it?

I don't find the script generic. I don't think it has any relation to anything in Predators (which not a lot of people saw). You may or may not feel differently when the film comes out.

Spoiler
The script is going into Alien Invasion Movie territory, basically the most generic s-f there is.
[close]

I`m not saying it has anything to do with Ps per se, but Super Predator concept was introduced in script for Ps. Predators modyfying their genome with verious prey dna to upgrade their efficiency, sounds familiar?

HuDaFuK

A lot of people losing their shit (not necessarily on here) at Sterling's claim the film will be funny clearly forgot how serious the first one was when Arnie nailed a guy to a post with his knife and told him to "stick around".

Just look at the first Lethal Weapon that Black wrote - very funny when it wants to be, but hardly a lighthearted movie. It's dark as hell.

SpeedyMaxx

In fairness, this script is a lot more overtly humorous than the occasional joke in the original. Shane Black (and Fred Dekker) like a lot of humor with their action, it's the way they are. If you like their work you'll probably be happy; if you don't you might not.

Quote from: Master on Apr 13, 2017, 09:21:34 AM
Spoiler
The script is going into Alien Invasion Movie territory, basically the most generic s-f there is.
[close]

You're entitled to feel that way. All I can tell you is I think the story gives the Predators a new complexity and purpose that can allow the franchise to expand between just doing more movies with them hunting over and over and diminshing returns. Watch the film and decide for yourself.

QuoteI`m not saying it has anything to do with Ps per se, but Super Predator concept was introduced in script for Ps. Predators modyfying their genome with verious prey dna to upgrade their efficiency, sounds familiar?

I don't remember a thing about that in the actual film. I'm not saying it's not in there, but it clearly didn't make an impression. If it was in the script and not the film then it's not relevant. Personally I doubt the creators of this film went so far as to read that.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 13, 2017, 09:30:57 AMIn fairness, this script is a lot more overtly humorous than the occasional joke in the original. Shane Black (and Fred Dekker) like a lot of humor with their action, it's the way they are. If you like their work you'll probably be happy; if you don't you might not.

Has it even been proven the leaked script is entirely legit? Either way, I've purposefully not read it. I'd rather see it fresh.

I love Black's writing style, so if the film's in line with his previous works I'm sure I'll love that aspect of it.

Master

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 13, 2017, 09:30:57 AM
In fairness, this script is a lot more overtly humorous than the occasional joke in the original. Shane Black (and Fred Dekker) like a lot of humor with their action, it's the way they are. If you like their work you'll probably be happy; if you don't you might not.

Quote from: Master on Apr 13, 2017, 09:21:34 AM
Spoiler
[close]

You're entitled to feel that way. All I can tell you is I think the story gives the Predators a new complexity and purpose that can allow the franchise to expand between just doing more movies with them hunting over and over and diminshing returns. Watch the film and decide for yourself.

QuoteI`m not saying it has anything to do with Ps per se, but Super Predator concept was introduced in script for Ps. Predators modyfying their genome with verious prey dna to upgrade their efficiency, sounds familiar?

I don't remember a thing about that in the actual film. I'm not saying it's not in there, but it clearly didn't make an impression. If it was in the script and not the film then it's not relevant. Personally I doubt the creators of this film went so far as to read that.

Not much of it made into the final film but it was in the script and was not liked by fans.

Spoiler
Ok. If it`s going into invasion then I don`t see many more films afterwards. If not,then waht`s the point suggesting it. I personally pity the conclusion is 'the want our earth'. From intergalactic alien hunter to yet another prawn/tripod etc. etc.
[close]

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

The script is legit.

There's plenty of openings in the story from where it goes, IMO.
Spoiler
The story presents it as an intergalactic 'cold war' that is finally heating up, with human forces (allied at times with some Predators - it must be noted the initial 'hero' Predator still mercilessly kills good guys at the beginning) prepared to take on the Predators. That is a huge new development. In the script it's said by someone important that 'the war's already started.'
[close]
Provided the film does well, that is the new direction of the franchise.

SiL

Spoiler
Is there any reason given why an advanced alien species that can fly literally anywhere in space would need take Earth, or is it another "They're coming for our entirely common resources they could find any of a trillion other places" story? I think someone said they were coming here because our planet is heating up while theirs is cooling?
[close]

Master

Spoiler
Ok. But why war in first place? It's one of the very few that successfully tried something different and now it's going back to 'they want our planet, let's fight back!'. It also changes the whole plot of hunting and randers other film nonexistent.     
[close]

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 13, 2017, 11:11:49 AM
Spoiler
Is there any reason given why an advanced alien species that can fly literally anywhere in space would need take Earth, or is it another "They're coming for our entirely common resources they could find any of a trillion other places" story? I think someone said they were coming here because our planet is heating up while theirs is cooling?
[close]

Yes, I said that. It's also said they keep coming back
Spoiler
because we're an endangered species - they're getting supplies while they last. I can't recall if it's fully explicated but I believe it's the newer/possibly dominant faction that embarked on the plan to take Earth as well. It's made clear they hunt to hybridize and improve themselves - hence the reason the term 'predator' is used when actual predators, strictly speaking, do not hunt for sport (this issue is an ongoing point in the script and leads to the later reveal) - but now that hybridization has a new purpose, namely allowing them to acclimate to our relatively nearby world which is approaching hothouse conditions which suit their species. This part is made clear.

As for why they don't go to some other hot planet - because it's a movie franchise, and because there is no money in 'Predators go to entirely new planet with no humans involved'. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we went to theirs in a future sequel.
[close]

QuoteOk.
Spoiler
But why war in first place? It's one of the very few that successfully tried something different and now it's going back to 'they want our planet, let's fight back!'.
[close]
It also changes the whole plot of hunting and randers other film nonexistent.

It doesn't render those films nonexistent; they happened. But this story draws a much clearer distinction between the concept of hunter and Predator and gets into why they hunt for sport as opposed to being strictly natural predators. Also, this is not leading to the kind of movie you are thinking of. In terms of how the Predators behave in this story, regardless of what their strategy is, their execution is what it has always been - kill everything.

As for trying something different, this is that. Not trying something different would be making another variation on the movie from '87, another straight hunt. Predators tried that and flopped. This story gives the franchise an aim and future purpose. Whether you dig it or not is up to you when you see the movie.

HuDaFuK

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 13, 2017, 04:00:32 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 13, 2017, 10:20:30 AMThe script is legit.

According to who?

The genie in a lamp who gave it to me. Take my word for it or don't, your call.

Original Pred

These spoilers are slowly killing any interest in the movie.

It's a complete reboot.  If you think otherwise your in denial.  It's S. Black "refreshing" the Pred franchise.  AKA.  Who gives a sh-t about the back story/Dutch/etc.  We've got new blood to pump money out of.  And let it stand that a little nod here and there to the "old" movies can be done in a reboot.  This is horrible. I'm giving up on the Dutch/Arnold angle/story being made whole. Good luck everyone with your "new" "rebooted" Pred franchise.  Makes me appreciate the Alien Universe so much more now.

HuDaFuK

Chill, Winston. Just asking how you know with such certainty.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed