Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time.

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 06, 2019, 03:43:04 PM

Author
Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time. (Read 47,855 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah lovely.

TheSailingRabbit

24. The sticky cardiac recorder on Gorman's left pec is coming off.

You have to zoom in on it.

Elmazalman

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 24, 2020, 12:49:34 AM

There's supposedly a blooper here (never checked it myself). Apparently, as with ALIEN, a mirror was used to extend the set - a second set of sleeping pods (and occupants) can be seen in the background.

If anyone wants to check to see if this is true?

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Elmazalman on Feb 24, 2020, 08:30:24 PM

There's supposedly a blooper here (never checked it myself). Apparently, as with ALIEN, a mirror was used to extend the set - a second set of sleeping pods (and occupants) can be seen in the background.

Daniel Kash mentions this in his interview with AvPGalaxy. They used this technique in one of the powerloader scenes (can't remember which) as well.

SM

Quote from: Elmazalman on Feb 24, 2020, 08:30:24 PM

They did use a mirror.  Six pods was doubled to twelve from memory.  What's the blooper?

Huggs

A big toe, perhaps?

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Feb 24, 2020, 11:03:36 PM
They did use a mirror.  Six pods was doubled to twelve from memory.  What's the blooper?
Something I read about years ago. The blooper was supposed to be the mirrored doubles of the cast can be seen in a shot from the sequence. I just checked and couldn't find it. The director was very careful with his angles.

SM

SM

Oh yes.  That whole scene is extremely cleverly shot.  Looking at it again there is an error of sorts, but you really have to be paying attention.

EDIT - I shouldn't have looked.  There's a whole bunch of hokey stuff Cameron stooged us with in that scene.  There's a shot of Spunkmeyer waking up with others in the background - yet his tube is at the end of the row with just a wall behind him.  Plus Wierzbowski, Crowe, Bishop and Burke all file past from part of the set/ ship where there are no tubes.  Cameron almost hides it behind a pillar and though we wouldn't notice.  Well he thought I wouldn't notice.

And he was right.

Elmazalman

Huggs

The small ductwork, for one.

SM

Quote from: Elmazalman on Feb 25, 2020, 02:07:14 AM
What error?

Hard to explain.  As the camera pans past the breakfast table to the tubes it moves past a pillar.  To the left of the pillar from our POV is a wall in the background.  After panning right part of the wall has been replaced by a mirror to duplicate the tubes.  But it'd be very difficult for anyone in those tubes to reach the part of the set for the next scene where the lockers are.  There's certainly not enough room for Apone to do his 'Day in the Corps' speech.

The order of tubes occupants starting from closest to camera that we can see is Gorman, Apone, Vasquez, Hicks, Ripley, Drake, Dietrich, Frost.  When he starts the speech we see Gorman exiting his tube in the background.  As the angle cuts he's standing in front of Ripley's tube, walks past six tubes to reach the end of the line where Hudson and Spunkmeyer are.

Tricksy.

I might write this up properly with pictures.

Local Trouble

TC

Quote from: SM on Feb 25, 2020, 01:56:56 AM
...Cameron almost hides it behind a pillar and though we wouldn't notice.  Well he thought I wouldn't notice.

And he was right.

Reading between your lines, you are pointing out that the topic has changed from one of "bloopers" to "technique".

I agree. This is no different than the face-hugger scene that was shot in the sprinkler rain, with the camera running in reverse. If you slow-mo the footage I guess you maybe tell the water is splashing backwards... But if so, does that constitute a blooper?

TC

SM

No, because you have to slow it down to notice it.  You can notice a jump cut, but not rain running backwards and I wouldn't call a jump cut a blooper.

With the cryotube scene, you can pick the continuity/ geography error (for lack of a better term) at normal speed.  He's pulled a bunch of different camera tricks.  Kind of like the APC interior and exterior, which cleverly masked by having Frost jump out, but with his the head ducked down and running away from camera making him look smaller and the focus being on Vasquez - the shortest - so as to hide the scale differences.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 25, 2020, 02:45:48 AM
Or a video?

Yeah, probably.  If I find time to record it.

And remember to put EXPLAINED in the title.

HuDaFuK

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed