The "How to Make a GOOD Third Prequel" ideas thread

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Mar 22, 2020, 04:19:47 PM

Author
The "How to Make a GOOD Third Prequel" ideas thread (Read 5,227 times)

Immortan Jonesy

I challenge you to share the best way to make a third Alien prequel, in a way that you can please most of the fans

InterAlien

Let Scott make the movie he wants with no/minimal studio interference.

Evanus

Quote from: InterAlien on Mar 22, 2020, 04:41:29 PM
Let Scott make the movie he wants with no/minimal studio interference.
I agree.

Also, I doubt it'll happen, but I'm really hoping for a longer runtime.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 22, 2020, 04:19:47 PM
I challenge you to share the best way to make a third Alien prequel, in a way that you can please most of the fans https://i.imgur.com/WQLrQ03.png

Boy, that's a great question. And a tough one imo!

windebieste

Firstly, 'PROMETHEUS' and 'ALIEN Covenant's biggest problem was their truncated running time. Despite other issues these movies may have, the theatrical releases cut too much content from them. When fan edits are better than original release that not only indicates a problem exists - but it can be solved.  I am still hoping one day 2oth Century Studios will release more complete versions of both of these movies to home media. I think it's inevitable. Audiences can cope with a longer run time. The idea of 3 hour long movies isn't new and audiences will go see them if the movie is worth the additional running length. Can 3hour movies be profitable? Isn't 'Titanic' 3 hours long? I think that movie did well for itself; as did all the 'Lord of the Rings' adventures.

Secondly, the main problems these movies have could have been solved with better dialogue.  Much of dialog in 'PROMETHEUS' middle act is dreadful at best. It needed some serious script doctoring to make Fifield and Millburn credible. These two characters needed a complete makeover. Retain the plot line as that was fine in both movies.  'ALIEN Covenant' had much better dialogue but there were definitely some wasted moments.  One that comes to mind was the descent of Lander One onto the surface. Instead of dick and tit jokes, one of the characters could have read out results from atmospheric readings stating. "Yep. Just as the descent drone recorded.  Nitrogen, 78%. Oxygen, 21%. Argon, 1%. Trace amounts of other elements. No readings on any hazardous microscopic organisms hazardous to humans."  Simple really.  Dialogue of that nature would solve a lot of that movie's biggest criticisms.  Nope, instead we get "Sugar dick" gags. smh.

Thirdly, a retcon is 100% out of the question. If you want to appease most fans then all extant movies must somehow be honoured. There are a lot of 'ALIEN3' and 'Resurrection' fans out there. They would also have to be considered if you want to appease all the fans. So this is definitely going to be tricky. Personally, I think it can be done. Taking the first 2 criteria above into account a decent story that connects the prequels to ALIEN' is possible. It will need to explain the connection between the Engineers and the Space Jockey.  It will need to make use of the enticing ending of 'ALIEN Covenant' in a meaningful way - what is David's intention with the implied army of Aliens he is about to create? I don't think he's heading to Origae 6, that's for sure. What use would David have with his army on an uncolonised world? No. He's heading to a human settlement, that's for sure.

With this in mind, the set up for a massive conflict between colonial forces and thousands of Aliens is definitely implied. We need a big combat movie in the series now.  It's been way too long since 'ALIENS' hit the big screen. Satisfy the audience with a sprawling action epic between Humans and Aliens and half the work is over. From this point onwards, you're just filling the gaps.

At some point, the Engineers will have to re-enter the story. There's too many trailing leads remaining to not address these important characters in a much greater story. Eventually, they must catch up to David - and there's another struggle to be resolved. I'd have David engage in dialogue with one of them. Violence isn't his preferred method of engagement - politics is. So, he would trick an Engineer into leaving a defeated colony world. The Engineers can have the survivors. The Engineer and David make a pact he can have the planet - but never leave it. Little would the Engineer realise he has been infected.

The Engineer leave David's new world with the colonial survivors aboard his vessel, with the intention of taking them to an undisclosed destination. During the flight, an Alien erupts from the Engineer and the ship crashes on LV-426 with all the human survivors trapped inside the hold of the ship.  Every single one of them is eggmorphed.  That's a reasonable way to connect these movies.

After this incident, David commences to transform his new found world into a hive planet. The Alien hive world comes into being and colonial forces are on their way to find out what happened to their world.

Cue next 'ALIEN' movie.

Personally, I believe a story along these lines ticks enough boxes to appeal to a majority of fans. Maybe not all. Haters gonna hate no matter what happens. Something like this needs to happen now.  The next movie has to embrace components from the prequels and the movies from last century. In order to do so, it's got to bring the current story arc to a close and bridge the gap between 'ALIEN Covenant' and 'ALIEN'. Have Blomkamp direct it.  He's got the technical expertise and just needs a script to work with. 

-Windebieste.

The Old One

The Old One

Although I agree with nearly all of the above hypothesis just let the "ancient aliens" nonsense stay dead, let David, believing itself the creator, discover the LV-426 Derelict exactly as it is far predating any form of humanity. Let the revelation fully unravel the Artificial Intelligence, he's not truly unique as he currently believes, it's all happened before, the "Perfect Organism" combination of organic and synthetic existed before and it's the Alien.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Mar 22, 2020, 09:32:54 PM
Although I agree with nearly all of the above hypothesis

I really don't dig the open war between humans & aliens concept. It really, really screws up the continuity and kills the mystique.
I do agree however that the Engineers should come back (and with a vengeance) to deal with David (followed by getting rid of the rest of us, because we're narcissist hi-tech caveman monkeys).

The outcome of that encounter should lead to or at least give us a hunch to why the universe is so dead, desolate and empty in the original ALIEN movies, and to why governments and corporations seem to have little to none knowledge about the Xenomorphs and the Engineers.

Quotejust let the "ancient aliens" nonsense stay dead,

I agree with this 100%.

Quotelet David, believing itself the creator, discover the LV-426 Derelict exactly as it is far predating any form of humanity. Let the revelation fully unravel the Artificial Intelligence, he's not truly unique as he currently believes, it's all happened before, the "Perfect Organism" combination of organic and synthetic existed before and it's the Alien.

This I love! I can almost see the reaction and existential crisis of David when he realizes that he can't truly create after all.

Nukiemorph

I like the idea of David being the creator, but I do think the revelation that David didn't create shit would be a great emotional addition to his downfall.

I'd like Ridley involved, but I do think he needs a little supervision on continuity, because I'm not sure how much he cares about that.

I'm pretty much open to anything for a conclusion at this point. I have such little hope that Disney's going to prioritize this franchise at all, especially after the COVID-19 losses. We'll be lucky to get a blurb in a lore book.

Local Trouble

Perhaps a compromise: the Engineers advanced to point that they have a non-linear perception of time (like the "aliens" from Interstellar or the septopods from Arrival) and created the aliens in the ancient past after "seeing" David do it first in their distant future.  Try to wrap your minds around that.

David Weyland

Next film opens with a WY meeting discussing what to do about David, following his 'Olive branch' message in the Advent extra.
They view him as a dangerous psychopath who must be stopped but are also intrigued by what he's been up to. Although instead of sending humans to hunt him down they send an army of Androids provided by Hyperdyne Systems model 120-A/2 synthetics to be continued...

The Old One

The Old One

I'm referring to the relationship between Engineer and Humanity as the "ancient aliens" stuff, meaning I fundamentally believe the former's got to go completely, and ultimately also David. I also don't care for the idea of a world war between the factions myself it is possible but to work it requires everything done completely correctly, as for the idea of the Artificial Intelligence being unravelled, we already know he's got authorship incorrect once, perhaps he's got authorship of the "Perfect Organism" incorrect, something brought into existence before Engineer, Humanity, the Pathogen or perhaps even Pilot.

Kradan

What I think they shouldn't do is giving it someone else to direct. Let's be honest - it's Ridley's vision, his story and ideas and I want it concluded with him still in charge. But give him a damn good writter and someone to challenge his opinion and say that scientists should wear protective gear.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 23, 2020, 10:50:45 AM
What I think they shouldn't do is giving it someone else to direct. Let's be honest - it's Ridley's vision, his story and ideas and I want it concluded with him still in charge. But give him a damn good writter and someone to challenge his opinion and say that scientists should wear protective gear.

:laugh:

This!

Drukathi

I think they should leave the prequel ideas. IMO, it will be better (and will give a new round to the Alien universe) if the third film will be located in the future. After AR. Let David stay on Origae-6 and create-evolve his dreams. And then he will return to exterminate humanity with the creatures of his ultimate prefect dreams - with ultramorphs.

The Old One

The Old One

Although interesting, I don't see it pleasing everyone, or anyone. It's the "it's a Predator but it's the ultimate Predator!" all over, "it's a Alien but it's the ultimate Alien!" I think people don't care for the idea, certainly not anymore anyway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed