What made you a fan?

Started by Vader the White, Mar 10, 2007, 10:37:25 PM

Author
What made you a fan? (Read 154,057 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: StrangeShape on Nov 29, 2020, 06:38:44 PMYeah, you might have seen a special on TV or a laserdisc perhaps?

It was definitely on TV. Most likely the television premiere of the Special Edition, because it would've been around that time and I also remember the smiling scene. But it was so long ago (and I was so young) that I've no idea if it was advertised as such.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Looking back, I was a kid and I think the first movie I saw was Predator on T.V which was cool, and I think it was through my best friend that I learned of Alien and managed to get a VHS and watched that and I remember that back then that movie scared the shit out of me... and yet I didn't just cease to see it like I would with a ghost horror movie, there was something fascinating about it to me (and at this point I'm just desensitized from all my viewings) .

I remember then that there was either a T.V marathon or we did a Blockbuster marathon where I saw all the other Alien movies, which was maybe a year or more before I heard the AvP announcement for theatres so this was all pre-AvP movies.

Everything else just kinda fell into place from there.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

I became a fan of the Alien movies probably because of my fascination with the series' world-building and visuals.

Whether it was the "used-future" design language, or the darkly fantastical aesthetic of the aliens themselves, imagery of the first two films strongly resonated in my mind - the reason I drew my own takes on different Gigeresque monsters or Weyland-Yutani spaceships for many years.

I was introduced to the whole universe through AvP, so naturally I had to check out the Predator series too - which already kinda won my heart by default with connections to childhood favorites (Terminator 2's Arnold and Jurassic Park's Stan Winston).  And they're just good fun.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 23, 2020, 07:07:37 AM

I was introduced to the whole universe through AvP,

Comic, game or the movie?

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

The movie.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

The Space Jockey made me a fan. Ever since I was a kid, I've wondered what that thing was, and I'm not kidding about it. In fact, the anticipation for Prometheus made me even more of a fan, and somehow I still am.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I've probably told this story here before, but years ago. Back in 2007 (I was 13 at the time) I hadn't seen any of the films, but had heard my friends talking about this AVP movie that they thought was really cool. I went to the local video rental place with my dad to rent it, and my dad basically told me to put it down and to get Alien instead. :D Took it home that day, watched it with him, and was just absolutely hooked. Had to go rent Aliens and Alien 3 immediately after, and wound up catching Alien: Resurrection on television, before I eventually bought myself copies of the films.

The hype a few years later, while anticipating Prometheus (and, before that, 'Untitled Alien Prequel') is to this day unlike pretty much any excitement I have ever felt for a film.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I was brought into the franchise by Alien³, thanks to my father in the 90s (I'm 34). After that, I saw Aliens and finally Alien, and there I fell in love, which climaxed with my discovery of Giger🤘😎✊

I continue to be a fan for five major reasons:

1) The original movie is still a perfect storm gem, no matter what (^^)

2) Despiste of the good the bad and the ugly, I like the prequels. It's like another dimension that works fine as its own thing.

3) The Space Jockey is still a mystery, well kinda, but still.

4) There is nothing that cannot be the victim of a future retcon.

5) I can enjoy whatever I want, which is what many here do, without losing my mind...well kinda 🤣🤣🤣

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

For a blast from the past:

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on May 16, 2009, 08:40:00 PM
Basically AVP introduced me to the monsters...but I didn't catch on until 2006/2007 (I originally though Aliens and Predators were giant monsters...like Godzilla...yeah.... :P) Then the movie Alien and Aliens truly made me a fan.

I was twelve at the time.  I don't even remember how I came across AvPGalaxy - though it was likely the site's articles - but I'm sure joining and being active ~2009-2014 solidified my fandom.  Crazy to think I had only been familiar with the movies for like 2 or so years when I joined when they're now the movies I know the best.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 26, 2020, 07:18:47 PM
Crazy to think I had only been familiar with the movies for like 2 or so years when I joined when they're now the movies I know the best.

Yep, same. I joined up in 2009, so just two years after my own introduction as well.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 26, 2020, 06:45:15 PM
The Space Jockey made me a fan. Ever since I was a kid, I've wondered what that thing was, and I'm not kidding about it. In fact, the anticipation for Prometheus made me even more of a fan, and somehow I still am.

It was the nightmares that Aliens gave me for 5 years that made me a fan, but the Space Jockey was the thing that got me into the Expanded Universe. A real diverse to learn more about it and the comics were that way.

Kradan

Kradan

The only thing about Space Jockey I remember thinking before the prequels was that he was a peaceful pilot who was unfortunate enough to find Alien eggs somewhere and certainly not as human-hating as RS portrayed Engineers

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 26, 2020, 07:24:07 PM
Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 26, 2020, 07:18:47 PM
Crazy to think I had only been familiar with the movies for like 2 or so years when I joined when they're now the movies I know the best.

Yep, same. I joined up in 2009, so just two years after my own introduction as well.

OMG, do you mean your introduction was Requiem ?  :D

I'm kinda opposite - I was a fan as long as I can remember myself but joined AVPG only about 2 years ago. But I was checking site's news page regularly as early as Isolation coming out in 2014. Uh, Google Translator was very handy back then

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 28, 2020, 01:49:58 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 26, 2020, 07:24:07 PM

OMG, do you mean your introduction was Requiem ?  :D

Nope. ;)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 26, 2020, 06:49:22 PM
I've probably told this story here before, but years ago. Back in 2007 (I was 13 at the time) I hadn't seen any of the films, but had heard my friends talking about this AVP movie that they thought was really cool. I went to the local video rental place with my dad to rent it, and my dad basically told me to put it down and to get Alien instead. :D Took it home that day, watched it with him, and was just absolutely hooked. Had to go rent Aliens and Alien 3 immediately after, and wound up catching Alien: Resurrection on television, before I eventually bought myself copies of the films.

The hype a few years later, while anticipating Prometheus (and, before that, 'Untitled Alien Prequel') is to this day unlike pretty much any excitement I have ever felt for a film.

Requiem's marketing was moving full steam ahead as I was getting into all of this, but I actually didn't bother seeing AVPR until three years after its release in 2010, on its cable TV debut in the US. And that still remains the one and only time I saw the movie.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I hadn't even seen/heard of the Space Jockey when I first watched, but I was of course endlessly fascinated by it afterwards. It is still such an absolutely haunting, striking image, and even now I am able to see it independently of any of the further exploration of the Engineers that came in the prequels (which I am also pretty intrigued by, as an alternate take with different creative intentions).

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 28, 2020, 01:13:24 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 26, 2020, 06:45:15 PM

It was the nightmares that Aliens gave me for 5 years that made me a fan, but the Space Jockey was the thing that got me into the Expanded Universe. A real diverse to learn more about it and the comics were that way.

Now you don't need the expanded universe to learn about the Space Jockey, which personally makes me feel a tad sad.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed