Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1050

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 565,097 times)

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 24, 2011, 07:25:05 PM
If you copy bit-by-bit the whole thing, of course you can. It wouldn't bring anything fresh to see though, so there'd be no reason.
The 2006 Omen is a proof of that.

What I mean is that if, theoretically, the world was exactly the same as it is now, only Alien had never been made (I won't go into the vastly sophisticated cause-and-effect Alien was obviously a part of) you could not make Alien as an original film today. There's a very specific aesthetic in that film that you don't see anymore, born out of Metal Hurlant and Lovecraft and the cinematic game changer that was Star Wars. It's not a dated film, but it clearly comes from a different set of sensibilities.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 24, 2011, 07:25:05 PM
If you copy bit-by-bit the whole thing, of course you can. It wouldn't bring anything fresh to see though, so there'd be no reason.
The 2006 Omen is a proof of that.

Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 24, 2011, 07:19:23 PM
Alien has the whole "you go off alone, we'll look way over here," Scooby Doo thing that many 70's and 80's horror had.
The only ones I could recall are Halloween and The Thing. You got any more examples?
ANOES and F13 continued the tradition, and those are the good movies.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 24, 2011, 07:19:23 PM
Alien has the whole "you go off alone, we'll look way over here," Scooby Doo thing that many 70's and 80's horror had. It looks great though.

Yeah, and a couple of other small things (score is what is truly dated tho, and the only thing from the movie that I flat out dont like. Goldsmith was a brilliant composer and his score to Basic Instinct is one of my faves, but in this movie most of the score contains plenty of typical 70s cues. Some moments are great tho), but I feel all 3 movies are in a very small way dated. Even Alien 3 - its depressing, its downbeat, and lets not forget early 90s was a Grunge era and was all about that. At the same time the first 2 defy their eras as well

Gash

Gash

You find the score to Alien dated? I think it's a masterpiece. I love the way that just as Scott divided artists to deal with the human technology and the Alien elements, Goldsmith created a score that is human (dramatic, stirring, emotional, terrifying) and just bizarrely alien. The music for the derelict/egg chamber sequence is the perfect match of visuals and audio - and the fact that those creepier 'alien' elements make a return to the score towards the end of the film is just one more element to admire in the artistic genius that is Alien. I'd say this was Goldsmith at the height of his creativity. It's certainly not something I consider dated at all.

Also on the issue of the 70's horror themes of going off alone, that's really only Brett isn't it? When he's looking for a cat and the worst he can expect to come up against is a little infant alien, only it turns out it wasn't quite so under developed as they were all assuming. I find that an acceptable reworking of a classic horror theme.

Valaquen

Valaquen

The score that kicks in as they chase after the facehugger's acid - yeah, that kinda throws me off a bit, it feels odd, if that's what you mean, StrangeShapes? The rest is gold for me. @Gash they do it later in the film do, Ripley goes off on her own twice. No big deal.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 25, 2011, 08:47:04 AM
The score that kicks in as they chase after the facehugger's acid - yeah, that kinda throws me off a bit, it feels odd, if that's what you mean, StrangeShapes? The rest is gold for me.

That cue was from a completely different score, anyway. Still by Goldsmith. Freud, I think.

SiL

SiL

Same with the air vent sequence.

I adore Alien's soundtrack because it doesn't sound like a lot of other soundtracks -- and I really don't see what's dated or particularly "70s" about it. I've never heard another 70s film that sounded anything like Alien.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Jan 25, 2011, 08:56:39 AM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 25, 2011, 08:47:04 AM
The score that kicks in as they chase after the facehugger's acid - yeah, that kinda throws me off a bit, it feels odd, if that's what you mean, StrangeShapes? The rest is gold for me.

That cue was from a completely different score, anyway. Still by Goldsmith. Freud, I think.
That's it. It sounds like something Speilberg would use. As I've said, no biggie.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Again, Goldsmith score is great, but it does sound 70s. Heres just oneexample of the often used, typical 70s cues - 2:34 to 2: 53 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkQgzVEWDo# is one of those full on 70s scores. Compare to 2:45 to 3:00 from 76's King Kong for an example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxPW_SB6iQ# Those are just quick and off the hat examples, they both sound 70s and for me the Goldsmith's score could be easily dated. Im a soundtrack buff and I listen to soundtracks all the time so maybe it sounds more apparent to me. Emphasis on same instruments, flute accents etc. But just listen to the music that starts playing during the credits, cmon, its so obviously 70s

Some parts I love, but most I honestly dont like much. Its the only thing that truly dates the movie, more so than the monitors, blinking lights room and Scooby Doo monster pose (Im talking about alien standing in front of Ripley with its arms spread out growling but not doing anything:

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 25, 2011, 01:07:21 PM
But just listen to the music that starts playing during the credits, cmon, its so obviously 70s
That wasn't composed for Alien either.

Some parts I love, but most I honestly dont like much. Its the only thing that truly dates the movie, more so than the monitors, blinking lights room and Scooby Doo monster pose (Im talking about alien standing in front of Ripley with its arms spread out growling but not doing anything:

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Jan 25, 2011, 06:32:10 PM
http://www.draculas.info/_img/gallery/nosferatu_83.jpg
To be fair, I think that shot is more comparable to the Alien 'floating' towards Lambert, [that's definitely a compliment!].
I don't share Strange Shape's particular criticism on that though.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Yeah, that's always what the 'gliding' shot reminds me of, Nosferatu in space. Hella creepy. It's so wrong, it's right.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

I love the first three.
Alien, I feel is the most artistic of the bunch. It has a lot of clever subtexts that carry the film very well and propel it far beyond a B monster movie.
Aliens is a war film, and that is what makes it work so well. The scenery is the most spectacular out of any other film in the series, and the supporting cast is full of winners. Even Horner's score which he doesn't like is great. This film also got an Oscar nom for best actress, no small feet for a film in this genre.
Alien 3, a widely hated film, is one that I loved when I first saw it and I still do. The dark nature and the amazing setting seem so out of place and yet so appropriate for the series. Fincher should understand that he really did make a great movie.

I suppose since I watch Aliens the most, it would qualify as my favorite. For the sake of argument I will say that.

SiL

SiL

But just listen to the music that starts playing during the credits, cmon, its so obviously 70s
Opening credits? Not buying it. Closing credits? Composed in the 1930s.

I hear the bit of music you point out ... and then hear that it turns into something completely different immediately after. It goes darker and lower.

If Alien's soundtrack was used in a movie today, nobody in their right mind would say "Oh man, that's so 70s!".

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2011, 09:26:01 PM
Opening credits? Not buying it. Closing credits? Composed in the 1930s.

I hear the bit of music you point out ... and then hear that it turns into something completely different immediately after. It goes darker and lower.

If Alien's soundtrack was used in a movie today, nobody in their right mind would say "Oh man, that's so 70s!".

Fair eough, I think we can reach a settlement here. My point is that it does have those 70s bits which throw me off, but again, I want to point out that some parts I just love. The opening, Kane's funeral, Coccoon scene - those are brilliant

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed