Test render of spacecraft (click to enlarge the image):

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Ship-Test-Renders-375107530

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Oh, man. This is sweet as hell.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Shadow-Cavern-375146319

Can't quite get the Alien model to look as organic as I'd like, but some creative use of lighting goes a long way...

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jun 01, 2013, 03:15:14 AM
Oh, man. This is sweet as hell.

I hope only to live up to expectations! Surpassing them would, of course, be preferable. :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Love the eye sockets on that Alien. I can see what you mean about the model though - it does look somewhat stone-ish.

The ships look good. The dropship (I think?) doesn't look quite as good as the other ships though.  :-\

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 01, 2013, 02:38:30 PM
Love the eye sockets on that Alien. I can see what you mean about the model though - it does look somewhat stone-ish.

Same model as was used in the other shots from a few months ago. Different software, though - they've got slightly different ways of lighting things. It's actually the same one as was used for the AVP 'Redemption' film. The person who made it said they're working on an update, but it might take a while before that's available.

I'm still experimenting with different shaders to see if I can get a wetter look for this version. Dark, reflective metal looked... Interesting, but because it hasn't got obvious joins, ended up looking more like a wax-like statue - trial and error! :)

QuoteThe ships look good. The dropship (I think?) doesn't look quite as good as the other ships though.  :-\

Different person who made it. :) Not the official dropship, more of an assault craft, but you can tell it's based on it.

I do like the more Chris Foss-like look of the others, though. Fortunately, I've got several more of those...

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

After some experimentation, the slightly washed out look of it might have been to do with the texture for giving it a grey hue. The default one is slightly more detailed (even if it does have a weird greeny-brown shade).

Just a shame there aren't any Alien models available of Locusta's quality! That one's amazingly detailed.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hey,

Have you tried to extract the aliens from AVP2010.
I remember a long ago having them being converted to .obj (though, I've lost them since).
But since you can use the extractor thing, maybe you could check Ikarop and see if he can give you any advice to extract the model.
There were quite low polys but with some tweak and a proper shadder you can easily get the giger's look/cameron's look without putting too much effort on poly count like Locusta and have a very decent model that would render pretty quick.
The only thing that needs to be re-do are the UV Map and maybe the diffuse/spec/normal maps since you'll hardly get the same UV map as AVP2010 but it's a strong base to start working with.

I hope it helped, Cya.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Interesting idea... Wasn't sure that was possible (or at least, thought that if it was, someone would have already done it).

I'll send a message and see if Ikarop can help with that. Things like UV maps confuse the hell out of me (there need to be more guides written for beginners in mind), but I could always see if the Swidhelm textures could be applied to the AVP models, if nothing else.

If all of that can be done, I'll have to see how many morphs/movement dials would be translated. If it's just a static model, it won't be much use!

EDIT: Ikarop says they would be static models, after all! Would require someone who's already pre-rigged them in advance (in which case, they might as well just upload the finished results to somewhere).

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Slight update on the project: That software I was hoping to use to create a proper motion comic-like effect might just be useable, after all... Really hoping it is, because it's what I was planning for. That hiccup set a lot of things back.

Time will tell.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Periodic update!

Trailer: I know, I know... But the wait has improved everything so much more. The entire project is looking better than it had, precisely because I've learned a lot more about the software since beginning this endeavour.

ETA: Is getting probably pushed back to next year now; why? Because of unexpectedly getting ownership of a puppy and she's requiring most of my free time, at the moment. :) as with all art, it'll be ready when it's ready...

In lieu of any immediate motion comic footage, however, I will be posting some more test renders and such on here when I can. Latest development is that I've been able to kit together a decent-looking dropship-esque pilot costume, but am working with a modeller to help create something more authentic. Might make my initial attempts the next thing to be posted here, just so that the rest of you can compare/contrast when the finished product is done.

Also, definitely back in motion comic territory, due to getting a new computer when I can!

Still deciding between pure CGI and giving it an artistic filter... Might do two different versions.

So, yes, still continuing stealthily behind the scenes. Is absolutely going to get finished at some time... Spent too much on assets to simply give up, even if I were inclined! Even rewatching the original films, as I type this, for inspiration.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

New update: Have just located a source for what should be a much more detailed Alien, which should fix some of the issues described up above.

Am 90% sure the (fully-articulated) model's been ripped from either the last AVP game or 'Colonial Marines', but it will let me have a 'hero' Alien for up-close or well-lit scenes.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Update:

Waiting for some necessary costume assets, but the good news is that, after some experimental renders, the Alien is, indeed, now looking much improved.

New preview images posted soon.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Woor, I'm pumped to see the new images!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Test render with the new, more detailed Alien model. Seems to have eliminated the earlier smoothness!

Accidentally clipped the tail into the ground, but it's just for basic test purposes... This one doesn't have the chainsaw-like part going across the centre of the head, unfortunately, but I can always mix and match with the older version (whose maker is soon bringing a very detailed and authentic update, which could be even better). This one's tail seems more trunk-like than skeletal, but the additional detail elsewhere is worth it and, as I say, I can use different models for different situations and then combine visuals.

More pictures later on! Click the link to enlarge this one to full scale for greater detail!

http://sentinalysis.deviantart.com/art/Alien-Cavern-Test-Render-411819711

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed