Rate the pyramid

Started by wolfboy22, Jun 23, 2008, 06:34:54 PM

Author
Rate the pyramid (Read 46,840 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Milan on Oct 06, 2008, 11:03:55 AM
The Predator originating from earth was shown after AVP and that's what you get when you ignore this;
Predator: Homeworld was released before AvP came out. The EU has been pumping out retarded crap like Steve Perry's "Yautja" long before the film was released.

QuoteThe bolded part didn't fit Andersons taste so he changed it and that's the reason we these days got stupid shit in the EU like the Hish and the predators originating from earth.
We get stupid shit like the "Hish" because that's what the author decided to do, not because of AvP. The Hish and AvP Predators are so far apart it's not funny.

Also, it hardly makes sense that a race of sentient beings would maintain the same way of life indefinitely. Societies can change within decades; it's a bit pig-headed to assume Predators must always have been tribal hunters and will always be tribal hunters.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 06, 2008, 12:00:14 PM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 06, 2008, 08:12:25 AM
The Predator never had an origin. It had a shady past at best. Vague mentions of a "demon who makes trophies of man". Really creepy exposition, hardly constitutes an "origin story".

The comics, books, and games moved much further from that origin than Anderson did. One comic had the Predators originating on Earth. Yeah, that's right - The Predator's homeworld was Earth.

What Anderson did sucked, but there's nothing concrete saying it's wrong.

The Predator originating from earth was shown after AVP and that's what you get when you ignore this;
The Predator are an old advanced race of Alien hunters from outer space using earth as one of their hunting grounds .
If your about to make up a past to these Predators then the bolded part is what you got to work with.
The bolded part didn't fit Andersons taste so he changed it and that's the reason we these days got stupid shit in the EU like the Hish and the predators originating from earth.
"Pour out a little liquor" has a meaning, the Predators that caught our interest as young are dead these days,
The last predator shown on the big screen was the elder in P2.

Eh, whatever, it didn't contradict anything from the previous movies.  If AVP didn't have aliens in it, it would have been a great story for Predator 3.

From wikipedia;
Trophy hunting is the selective hunting of wild game animals. While parts of the slain animal may be kept as a hunting trophy or memorial (usually the skin, antlers and/or head.

A big-game hunter is a person engaged in the sport of trophy hunting for large animals or game. The pursuit of the major objective might place the hunter at risk of personal harm.

A safari, from Swahili word meaning a long journey. A safari may consist of several days or even weeks-long journey and camping in the bush or jungle, while pursuing big game.
A special safari type is the solo-safari where all the license acquiring, stalking, preparation and outfitting is done by the hunter himself.

yeah, you are right
This is doesn't contradict anything from previous movies, that a Predator is a creature being a false god making humans his slaves tricking them to sacrifice themselves in the pyramids they built to honor their gods.
It perfectly goes along with the words, hunter, safari and trophy hunting.
I give up, discussing this is like discussing for hours with someone about a girl getting paid for a doing blowjob doesn't have anything to do with her working with ventilation or air condition.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 06, 2008, 08:23:32 PM
Predator: Homeworld was released before AvP came out. The EU has been pumping out retarded crap like Steve Perry's "Yautja" long before the film was released.

QuoteThe bolded part didn't fit Andersons taste so he changed it and that's the reason we these days got stupid shit in the EU like the Hish and the predators originating from earth.
We get stupid shit like the "Hish" because that's what the author decided to do, not because of AvP. The Hish and AvP Predators are so far apart it's not funny.

Also, it hardly makes sense that a race of sentient beings would maintain the same way of life indefinitely. Societies can change within decades; it's a bit pig-headed to assume Predators must always have been tribal hunters and will always be tribal hunters.

Okay, you where right on the predator home world, I haven't read the comic and assumed that it must have been released after Anderson made these aliens conquers and gods on earth still having humans sacrifice themselves for their amusement.
What I've been told about the Hish is that they where planing to rule earth, staging an invasion, that on the other hand doesn't contradict a creature that conquered man and was fine with being worshipped as a god.
And I don't think that it would be pig headed, Cause the Predators are hunters, characterised by their trophy hunting of other dangerous species for sport.
If you change that, then you change what the Predator has been, are and will be.
You kill the character.

SiL

SiL

Humans used to be tribal hunters.

Now we aren't.

Does who we were undermine who we are now? No. It gives us context and shows how far we've come. It shows how we've changed and developed.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Sound argument, but in terms of the Predator becoming a hunter of humans, that explanation almost makes it seem as if Predators began hunting humans out of revenge for us no longer worshiping them as gods.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: SiL on Oct 06, 2008, 11:16:37 PM
Humans used to be tribal hunters.

Now we aren't.

Does who we were undermine who we are now? No. It gives us context and shows how far we've come. It shows how we've changed and developed.

I really don't think that tribal hunters characterise us as an spieces even if we once where it,
at that time we did it to eat and make tools from the animal we had killed, we where hunters for survival but predators as species.
You can't really compare humans with Predators, we are by nature conquers and crusaders, the Predators are hunters by nature.
They don't care about ruleing you, if you have any value to them it's because you showed some fighting spirit and the reward would be that your skull decorated the wall in the trophy room.
They don't give a shit about you beleaveing them to be gods or that you would be willing to convert to their religon if they had any, you are just game to them, a potential trophy.
If your not into the predator creature I can understand that the response would be, why not.
And the only thing that would make you understand this, is if you had the very core on what characterises the Alien removed from the creature then replaced makeing them something else.
No big deal, you might say.
For you it ain't but for me it is, they messed with the thing that made me think that the Predator was speciall among the aliens in movies killing people on earth, for once we had a alien on earth who didn't try to rule shit or even attemted to make any human it's servant.
Now we don't.

As I said before; Pour out a little liqour...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Milan on Oct 07, 2008, 12:18:34 AM
You can't really compare humans with Predators, we are by nature conquers and crusaders, the Predators are hunters by nature.
You can know this how?

What we have in the previous movies is the equivalent of someone going to Comic Con and figuring all people must be obsessed with movies and comics and movies based on comics.

It's the equivalent of an alien species droppin' down during a war and figuring that's all anyone ever does, or ever has done: kill and maim and blow shit up. Yeah, we have a history of it, but it's not all anyone ever does.

The first Predator film doesn't even assume all Predators are like this, just that this is a hunter coming down for a safari.

The second film maybe implies that it's a big deal with them.

Neither movie says it's all they do, or all they have ever done, or all that they will ever do.

Shit, look at AvP. The Predators aren't our rulers. They don't act like our gods any more. They're here on a hunt, that's it.

Anderson didn't rewrite the Predators to say that temple-building god-complex space travelers are what they are, just what they were at some point. He gave them a background and showed that they'd changed over time.

Like I said. It's exactly the same as looking at how people used to be, and looking at them now, and for some reason leaping to the conclusion that we are now what we were then. We aren't. We've moved on. We're different now.

Same deal here. Yes, it's a shitty backstory.

PLEASE ACTUALLY READ THAT.

I THINK IT IS A SHITTY BACKSTORY.

WE ARE TOTALLY f**kING AGREED ON THAT POINT.

JUST TO MAKE CLEAR:

I. DO. NOT. LIKE. THE. BACKSTORY.

But it fits.

And as for the "What if they changed the Alien?", here's a newsflash.

THEY DID.

Back in 1986.

Little movie called Aliens.

In 1979, we had a psychosexual biomechanical nightmare the likes of which the world had never seen. We had something that was alien. Incomprehensible. It acted in mysterious ways, you couldn't pin a behaviour on it. Its mannerisms and actions were a perversion of humanity and nature. There's even implied rape, or at the very least, some form of horrific mutilation never seen since.

In 1986, oh wait, it's a giant f**king termite.

The Alien's personality was completely changed. It went from dark and mysterious, to a terrestrial insect on steroids. It went from something creepy and unknown, to cannon fodder. It became the ants from Them!. It became the freakin' antithesis of what the original filmmakers had set out to achieve. Where once they tried to make something unique, Cameron set out to make something mundane and derivative.

But guess what?

Nothin' in Alien says it can't be so, which means I gotta suck it up and take it because ain't nobody give a crap what I think.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

You sound annoyed :P

SM

SM

A natural state experienced when bashing one's head against a brick wall.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Amen brother!

SiL, that was a pretty accurate and to the point post! Agree on everything written in it. To be an Alien fan is a hard-knock life, but who said that it was going to be easy to be a pred-fan?

BloodyRedBaron

BloodyRedBaron

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Oct 07, 2008, 01:49:34 AM
Amen brother!

SiL, that was a pretty accurate and to the point post! Agree on everything written in it. To be an Alien fan is a hard-knock life, but who said that it was going to be easy to be a pred-fan?

So let's just agree we're both being screwed.

SiL

SiL

...Who hasn't been saying that already?

BloodyRedBaron

BloodyRedBaron

Just making sure we're all on the same page.

SM

SM

The same tweflth page.

Milan

Milan

Hmm, I'm sorry if I'm stepping on toes here.
I admit that SIL is right with the Alien and Aliens show two very different creatures under different circumstances.

Anderson didn't rewrite the Predators to say that temple-building god-complex space travelers are what they are, just what they were at some point. He gave them a background and showed that they'd changed over time.
Like I said. It's exactly the same as looking at how people used to be, and looking at them now, and for some reason leaping to the conclusion that we are now what we were then. We aren't. We've moved on. We're different now.

This is where I think SIL and I can't agree.
The reason for us turning into slaves to these gods is that they would make us build them these pyramids and when that was done, we would be sacrificed every 100 years so they could have their rite of passage.
Now in AVP a hundred years have gone by and again they tricked humans so they could have their rite of passage.This time they didn't need us as servants cause the pyramid was already built.
They didn't try to convince us that they where gods, they used another tool.
They used our curiosity.
And all off this has to do with the "rite of passage" being held in the pyramid.
And they only used different tools to trick us joining in on it.
And maybe it is just a shitty backstory live and active IN THE PRESENT.
It wasn't something they left behind and moved on.
If it was, then there wouldn't have been any AVP in the first place.
Cause the pyramids wouldn't have been part of the "rite of passage" nor would the "rite of passage" itself.

I can imagen the Predator having a backstory where they where hunters on their home planet, they envoled and became so good at that it ended with them having nothing left to hunt so they build these ships and started to explore the galaxy for other lifeforms to hunt.
And I think other ppl who loved P1 and P2 wouldn't find that backstory not fitting the character.
And you don't have to be a fan or anything to see the logic in that cause many people must have been thinking the same thing several times.

It's not YOU that I don't get,
You didn't come up with the IDEA.
I just can't understand how Anderson and Fox couldn't get something that easy.
They pretty much had all the background they needed from the first two movies to make a background story that stayed in character.
That's all they ever needed to do.
but didn't.

SM

SM

QuoteThey didn't try to convince us that they where gods, they used another tool.
They used our curiosity.
And all off this has to do with the "rite of passage" being held in the pyramid.
And they only used different tools to trick us joining in on it.

Leaving the "gods" thing aside - this aspect is completely plausible.  If a satellite picked up some heat bloom where there shouldn't be one - people would be sent to check it out.

All in all though, Anderson either didn't expect his concepts to be closely studied, or if he did, he simply didn't care.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed