What do you prefer physical media vs digital media?

Started by judge death, Aug 03, 2022, 06:14:52 PM

What format do you prefer your games/movies in?

I prefer digital, have everything in my device with a click and not owning anything
3 (12%)
I prefer physical media: Bluray/DVDs, Cartridges, VHS, prefer to own my purchases
22 (88%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author
What do you prefer physical media vs digital media? (Read 4,554 times)

judge death

Making this thread to see what format people prefer to have their games and movies on, and mindset, as we are getting more and more into a digital era where I suspect physical media will one die out. Theres no right or wrong so no flaming on what others prefer, but feel free to discuss the con and cons and opinions on it. :)

Myself:
Im very big on my rights as a consumer so I prefer to have all my games on cartridges/disks without online demands due to what I buy I should own and be able to play whenever I want and whenever I want. I plan to play my old snes games and VHS movies when Im 60+ years old.

I wont ever accept digital only or online demands or that the game or movie only works as long as the server is up, because then its useless the same day they close this server which we have seen happening in gaming and stream services all over, just try to play ace combat infinity or tekken revolution.....
So when Microsoft at E3 2013 presented their plan for the future: All games are locked to the console and only works as long as its online, in effect: they control how long I can play these games before they are unusable, and I cant sell them or play them in the future on this console I own. In effect killing the second hand market and we will lose all those games once the console is dead.
So I boycotted microsoft since then, I cant accept such business model where I as a consumer dont own my product I paid for.

I did the same for most online games that its obvious its just a time period I can play it, and battlefront 2 when they try to make it all: microtransactions and all that money will be wasted once the games server is gone, no thanks. Thankfully a lot of people saw that too and forced EA to change the game.
Some claim: they cant close down the server or remove the games! Ehm... you ever checked all those mobile games you could download but you cant get anymore, or wii or wiiu or sega online games? Or all those online games I mentioned above and theres others you cant get anymore or even play.

Now with movies some movie companies are going streaming only and I see same pattern here: they remove the consumer rights and its in their control what it cost and for how long and which version of the movie I can watch and without internet: good luck watching it. Yes I drive to my parents place and other places in ural sweden where there is no internet.
So I never own what I pay for and have no rights, and when they close the service/server I have wasted X amount of money and have nothing for it.

So with Prey and mandalorian, obi wan, alien tv series and disney saying they are going stream only,  I will wait until they release those on physical media, if they dont: I will just not watch them. Paying for hulu, disney+, netflix, prime, hbo, etc and you end up paying 100 dollar a month to be able to see those movies but never own a single copy of them. I cant accept that so I will then jump off the train, as I cant support such future for consumers and my rights, dont care if predator or the alien series flops due to my look on consumer rights, if I give them my money, they will keep making it stream only.

No, I wont pirate the movies as some say that will save the culture for the future because its illegal and might give one jail time, I prefer to do things legaly.
Dont worry, like other retro games and movieholics: we have so many retro games to buy and play and movies to watch we will be busy until we die.

Im one of those who gladly walk to my bookshelf, pick a movie or game, put it into the player/console and start it up, and stand up each time to change movie/game, laugh when some complain its cumbersome and prefer to just press a button, seem humans adapt easily to things that take less effort. xD

Darkness

Darkness

I used to be very into physical releases when DVDs came out. But once they brought Blu-Rays so soon after DVDs, I just gave up.

I still prefer games as physical releases because I tend to sell them after I've played but I do have a lot of digital games because they were cheap. There are some really good deals on the PSN store sometimes where the digital works out way cheaper than the physical. But upon release, I don't know anybody could justify paying £60 for a digital game when you can buy a physical and sell it on after you've played it.

I have a lot physical books too that I like to keep on a shelf but then I have the Kindle version too so I can read it on my Kindle.

I definitely see the benefits of digital. I like having things all in one place and not having to fetch another disc but I still like to have the option to sell something if I don't want it anymore.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Digital only.  I'm not a pack rat and I no longer take any pride or feel any satisfaction at having a physical collection of movies, games or books.  I learned to get over that after the first couple times I had to move.

Ingwar

Yeah, I'm quite the same unless it's something that needs physical medium like RPG manuals and things special to me (I own some books, Blue rays and CDs). I got rid of most of the stuff. Trying to be flexy minimalist.

Local Trouble

I don't even own a bookshelf.  It's very liberating.

Ingwar

Good for you and I know it's a pain in the ass when you've got a lot while moving a house. I've been there. I used to buy crazy amount of books (that was pre-Kindle era), DVD and CDs and sent them to my mother in Poland who was getting mad ("I'm running out of space" she was saying which wasn't true as she lives in a massive house). All DVDs and most of CDs are gone. I've finally got my own flat so I'm planning to bring everything to UK but luckily it's not that much. Only exceptional stuff. I simply love the smell of books hence I need small bookish shrine. Most books I read on Kindle.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Everything that can exist in the same quality digitally does. Like novels. But art? Must be physical in my opinion. Most entertainment I will never rewatch so them being on subscription I am absolutely fine with. If I truly love something I will own it physically, otherwise it is a complete waste of space, in life generally I am a minimalist when it comes to owning things and a maximist when it comes to experiencing things.

Novels I love I own digitally. Art I own physically.
Videogames I love I own digitally and physically where tasteful. Music I love I own physically on Vinyl or digitally. Films I love I own physically.

judge death

Just curious: all these books and games etc you only own digitaly: you not afraid of losing them once the server is gone, developer gone etc? Or is it a lost you barely care for? To me I hate when a game disappears or a movie version and cant ever play it again, but thats me :P RIP Ace combat infinity. But then again I keep revisiting all my nes, snes, n&4 games etc and rebuy them if I sold them xD

Moving I didnt find that hard, my 1000 games collection goes easily into move boxes and one semi truck and I get everything with me but then again I live spartan like: my pc, consoles, one bookshelf and figures, no funriture or paintings or decorations etc just my collection, quite easy :P

BlueMarsalis79

Microsoft's not going anywhere in my lifetime though. Neither's Amazon.

Anything else I own DRM Free.

Local Trouble

This is what I said about video games in an old thread:

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 29, 2020, 06:23:00 AMFor better or worse, I'd say that only the console games released prior to the 7th generation could actually be owned.  The developers actually had to put in some effort to QA test them too.

All we can really own on physical media now are essentially beta versions that were deemed "good enough" for release by a certain date, even if they're broken as f**k.

judge death

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 03, 2022, 09:40:07 PMThis is what I said about video games in an old thread:

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 29, 2020, 06:23:00 AMFor better or worse, I'd say that only the console games released prior to the 7th generation could actually be owned.  The developers actually had to put in some effort to QA test them too.

All we can really own on physical media now are essentially beta versions that were deemed "good enough" for release by a certain date, even if they're broken as f**k.
Thankfully not Wii U or Switch, barely need updates on them :P Only expansions released later one might need to download. But like wii and wii u, Switchés online games you can only download will be closed and gone once server are down.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Yeah, well, that wouldn't surprise me.  I've heard how anti-consumer Nintendo is these days and I haven't owned one of their consoles since the GameCube.

Like Blue said, Microsoft ain't going anywhere and I only have an Xbox.  Believe it or not, Microsoft has been the most pro-consumer of the big three after getting shellacked in the last generation.

BlueMarsalis79

Absolutely awful.

judge death

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 03, 2022, 09:43:30 PMYeah, well, that doesn't surprise me.  I've heard how anti-consumer Nintendo is these days and I haven't owned one of their consoles since the GameCube.
Sony isnt better, ps3 will be closed soon, they wanted to do that last year, PS4 is on same route. Microsoft too with original xbox and xbox 360 which is a matter of time before its taken down.

Local Trouble

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 03, 2022, 09:44:06 PMAbsolutely awful.

Who, me?

Quote from: judge death on Aug 03, 2022, 09:46:19 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 03, 2022, 09:43:30 PMYeah, well, that doesn't surprise me.  I've heard how anti-consumer Nintendo is these days and I haven't owned one of their consoles since the GameCube.
Sony isnt better, ps3 will be closed soon, they wanted to do that last year, PS4 is on same route. Microsoft too with original xbox and xbox 360 which is a matter of time before its taken down.

Unlikely, but if it happens I'll somehow find the strength to go on living.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed