Ghostbusters Franchise

Started by Don Dorris, Sep 26, 2008, 04:12:29 PM

Author
Ghostbusters Franchise (Read 154,836 times)

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 15, 2016, 08:10:10 AM
Quote from: Alienseseses on Jul 15, 2016, 04:02:23 AM
Saw it. It's fun. Not particularly deep, and I wish there was more of a focus on McCarthy's relationship with Wiig. But the cast has great chemistry, especially Jones, Hemsworth, and McKinnon. My god is McKinnon great in this.

The third act feels a little stale at times-- an action scene feels kind of meh until McKinnon takes over, for instance-- but overall it's a lot of fizzy fun.
No it wasn't. I don't usally say things like this but... for what my opinion is worth. Do not see this movie. I did and I'm regretting it. If you are a fan of NB Alien 5 concept, leave as soon as the credits roll or else.

What's Alien 5 gotta do with this? Spoiler the reply I don't mind :)

As from what I can gather online, the majority of positive reviews are generally just average reviews but the person has given the film a semi decent score at the end. It appears that many folks are overly praising the film, being overly generous and giving it a pass simply to combat, or get back at, or get revenge on the 'haters'. If you check many of the RT reviews you'll notice the average score is 6/10, just above average, yet its fresh.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ghostbusters-is-a-perfect-example-of-how-internet-ratings-are-broken/

Metacritic score of 61 out of 100, based on 41 critics.
Of the reviews aggregated by Metacritic, 24 were positive, 16 were mixed, 1 was negative.

Tomatometer score of 74 percent "fresh" based on 138 reviews.
Of those reviews, the average rating was 6.5 out of 10.

Looking only at top critics, it had a Tomatometer score of 54 percent "fresh" based on 35 reviews.

I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory but the amount of reviews I've read with clearly biased/sexist wording...and these are from professional sites! Salon, NY Times and The Guardian reviews all show clear signs of biased wording. NY Times headline for their review is clear bait. I expect this from regular people, but not from professional sites and media sites. Clearly trying to boost the film for political reasons.

Also read on Facebook that some cinemas are giving out little Ghostbusters pins before you go into the film. So they're bribing cinema goers for positive reviews apparently lol!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 15, 2016, 11:07:59 AM
Also read on Facebook that some cinemas are giving out little Ghostbusters pins before you go into the film. So they're bribing cinema goers for positive reviews apparently lol!

Cinemas have been giving out themed promo items for a long time.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 15, 2016, 11:13:42 AM
Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 15, 2016, 11:07:59 AM

Cinemas have been giving out themed promo items for a long time.

Yeah I know that, I haven't ever gotten anything free myself but I've heard about it. It just seems kinda suspicious lol! Before the film? like a gift to boost your mood hehe

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

As someone who has worked in a cinema, I can quite confidently say that that's nothing to be suspicious of and quite common.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Yea I have a whole stack of goodies for opening day movies. All I got for the GB opener was some lazy postcards that you take a selfie of for a chance to win reward points. Kind of lame. At least Jurassic world gave you a t-shirt.

I don't know man, this movie kind of beat me down. I wasn't going to see it but I figured it could probably be good. I was wrong, so very wrong. More wrong than Elizabeth Shaw could have ever been. The trailers showed the funny parts and my biggest problem with the movie was that it was mean. There were so many jerks and being an idiot isn't that funny. Someone getting fired isn't nice and no, the same joke over and over isn't funny either. The cameos were atrocious. Dan Aykroyd wouldn't drive to Chinatown... f**k me at that point. What the hell was I thinking that this movie could have been ok. The biggest problem is that I've seen enough movies to have seen the jokes many times over that it was an outright snore-fest.

@hubbs
Spoiler
After the credits start it cuts to weavers cameo and she just looks plain old. When I thought about her trying to reprise her bad ass aliens self... it just died for me right there. That's all I mean.
[close]

You know, what made Ghostbusters great was that the original movie played it serious. This movie plays out fully aware that it is a comedy... it knows that it is one big joke and gives you exactly that.

I didn't mind Jones but the movie treats her like shit for being the non-scientist. McCarthy is written as a jerk. The Wiig girl is cute but seems to only be there to ooggle over Hemsworth. And mckinnon is an ass but at least she has one long winded speech at the end that addresses that. Oh and I did mention that this movie's populated by assholes right? From the unfunny university presidents to the unfunny cameos of the former ghostbusters to the unfunny mayor/mayoral_assistant/fbi_guys/hemsworth_the_worthless™... the unfunny main bad guy. Maybe I'm just an old foggy but this movie sucked.

The editing also sucked hard, the movie doesn't make much sense and I just heard the original cut was over 4 hours long... and you know what, it f**king feels like it. BvS has nothing on this. I gotta be honest, I feel bad for the ladies, I feel bad for Hemsworth. None of them deserved this. Yea, even if they got paid for doing it.

Oh and one last thing: Bill Murry has no dick. Nor does the f**king ghost logo. Oh god I felt pain for Jones character when that punk drew the anti-ghost logo on the subway wall. WHY!

Hubbs

Hubbs

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion

At my theater we're giving away mini flashlights for those that pay extra for the theater with better sound and leather seats.

Hubbs

Hubbs

OK there's too many bad reviews, you get the gist.

Gazz

Gazz

I think everyone got your gist about 60 pages ago.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Had a day to think on it.

Yep, still enjoyed.

genocyber

genocyber

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Alienseseses on Jul 15, 2016, 05:23:16 PM
Had a day to think on it.

Yep, still enjoyed.
Had half a day to think about it... the movie is bad. The comedy just came off as being plain mean.

For anyone who has not seen this...
Spoiler
they kill ghosts with their proton lasso. Literally, in the context of the movie they kill ghosts. I mean what the f**k. No explanation is given aside form mckinnon mentioning her new proton pack as a side note. Oh and slimmer is nonsense, he and his chick and a few ghost buddies take ecto-1 on a joy ride for a few minutes and it ends all "die hard 2" like when Bruce willies ejects from the plane before it explodes. It was dumb.

oh and speaking of dumb, yea I know it is a movie but ecto-1 literally has 2 nuclear devices on it in he middle of new f**king york and yes they nuke the ghost hole.
[close]

genocyber

genocyber

What irritates me is how the director is trying to make himself out to be a big savior for women by making this film, when he turned it down three times prior, had Bill Murray sued to appear in the film, wrote it knowing fully well this was merely a product Sony was pushing, and helped drum up the whole SJW card to get butts into seats. Nevermind girls have been in the Ghostbusters franchise in the cartoons and comics, or that they have been popular halloween costumes that both sides get into. No. He's the little innocent victim and the big bad internet are out to stop women.
This kind of hubris not only sabotages any future projects he may work on, but shows he is far more petty and venomous than any "internet troll".

Sabby

Sabby

Did you see the Vae Victis video linked in here? He's a snivveling, simpering little cuckrat. Very cringy.

Hubbs

Hubbs

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed