The Predator Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM

Author
The Predator Reviews (Read 71,713 times)

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 12, 2018, 03:08:30 PM
Nu-uh, someone hasn't been paying attention.

Predator may be in hibernation &
Alien in threatrical releases may be in limbo but it's got all these coming up;

6 Tongal Alien 40th Anniversary films,
Alien: The Blueprints,
Alien 40th Anniversary Documentary,
Alien Isolation Novelisation,
Aliens Dust To Dust,
William Gibson's ALIEN 3
& Cold Iron Forge's Alien Videogame.

Far from a dead franchise.

Kind of saddens me actually that a franchise that started out in movies now must rely on books. No disrespect, I'm getting me at least 3 of those listed but just sucks that the ideal dream of the movies being good with transmedia going hand in hand isn't going to be. The games unfortunately, like the movies happen to just fall on its face with Isolation being the exception. Its almost like they can only be good on paper.

Regardless I'm still hoping its just critic talk and the movie makes its cash that enables it to greenlight another one.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 12, 2018, 05:17:17 PM

Kind of saddens me actually that a franchise that started out in movies now must rely on books.

But at least some of those original movies were honestly about as good as it can get. The original alien and predator. Aliens and Predator 2. I mean really, even if the movie end right now, forever, we'll always have perfection.

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

hicks this is the your quote i was talking about......

"In my opinion, and from what it's felt like watching the film and tracking everything these past few years, it's attempts to pander to all the complaining online that seems to have made a mess of this film."

don't know if you were just upset that day bud, but considering you singled me out and this was your reply, it did rather feel like passive aggressiveness and pointing fingers at people who were rightly critical and negative. So caring for your character and standing up for it is now complaining? maybe fox should actually listen to what the predator community want, rather than throwing in absolutely terrible plot devices and generic nonsense, all in the hope of "keeping it fresh"

i mean i don't care what anyone says predator was never a comedy, sure it had some humorous moments at the beginning, but as the film went on and more people died, suddenly it took a much darker serious tone.

shane black essentially made a parody, and while i disagree with cornmeal, actually i think we should maybe of made our voices heard by posting the script, it might very well of forced them back to the drawing board.   

Samhain13

Samhain13

The humor on Predator 2 never bothered me, but in The Predator it feels too cringey and forced.

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

right exactly, yano why that is? because the humor in p1 and p2 was never the vocal point, the one liners etc were never extreme, it always generally felt organic, like a bunch of commandos having a laugh, which does happen, (jarhead anyone?) but soon as the threat is realized jokes go right out the window, and suddenly everyone is scared and stressed by their predicament and focused on the task at hand.

the problem with predator is its so far removed from what it was originally intended to be, it was essentially a war film with sci fi elements. It needs to go back to that imo. enough with the campy cheese fest. its killing the franchise film by film. it needs a much darker realistic serious tone in any future sequel.

MudButt

MudButt

If you guys think a major studio like Fox was going to change the entire movie because someone on this site posted a leaked script for the public may as well be one of the Loonies. The movie was going to be made regardless. Bad test screenings are the reason why Fox called for reshoots.

Humour is very subjective, it works for some and and doesn't work for others. I don't think the comedy is what turned people off in this movie for the most part. It appears the biggest issues are that you can tell where the studio began to put their fingers on it along with some poor story choices from Shane Black. I see the movie tomorrow night so I am only going off of what I have read on here as well as critic reviews.

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

mudbutt, think about it if the script was leaked before the film was even in production, and avpgalaxy made its opinion on the matter heard, i think yes it might of worked. any studio not prepared to listen to its fan base is economically an idiot. if the fans dont like something, whats the message to the general public? They want to make money right? surely the best of both worlds is how to do it......

maybe just maybe they just dont like us very much, i mean they needlessly ruined alien with the origins of the xenos being down to david, and they have now pulled a similar stunt with predator. Its like they actually want to piss us off or something. I hope disney destroy 20th century fox, its the most mediocre studio currently in existence by a long mile, plus i hate Rupert Murdoch anyway, 

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: MudButt on Sep 12, 2018, 05:53:23 PM
If you guys think a major studio like Fox was going to change the entire movie because someone on this site posted a leaked script for the public may as well be one of the Loonies. The movie was going to be made regardless. Bad test screenings are the reason why Fox called for reshoots.

Humour is very subjective, it works for some and and doesn't work for others. I don't think the comedy is what turned people off in this movie for the most part. It appears the biggest issues are that you can tell where the studio began to put their fingers on it along with some poor story choices from Shane Black. I see the movie tomorrow night so I am only going off of what I have read on here as well as critic reviews.

Exactly. You'd really have to have a bloated ego to think that a major studio would do so many changes to a movie just based on the opinions of an online forum. The screenings returned a slew of negative responses. That's why the reshoots were done. Because the story itself was fundamentally flawed that they had to go back in and see if they could salvage the material. I think what they took out was probably for the better, but the way they pieced it all back together was, from what I'm gathering, atrocious.

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Wysps get of your high horse, im just saying it might of worked and was probally worth trying.  not that it would work. big difference.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

So we were screwed from the get go... The initial vision Black & Dekker had in mind resulted in bad enough tests screenings to warrant copious amounts of reshoots... And with them the results are still far from enough... I know i'll like this movie, i know what i want to see and don't feel overly stressed about it, but i know it's flaws will be obvious too.

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

what was the harm in trying if we were going to get a bad movie anyway? you sound like a complete elitist wysps, there is no harm in trying. you have to result to name calling to get your point across. get a grip.   

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 12, 2018, 06:07:53 PM
So we were screwed from the get go... The initial vision Black & Dekker had in mind resulted in bad enough tests screenings to warrant copious amounts of reshoots... And with them the results are still far from enough... I know i'll like this movie, i know what i want to see and don't feel overly stressed about it, but i know it's flaws will be obvious too.

Honestly that's the best way of going into it. Just view it for what it is, enjoy it for what it has to give, and not read too much into it. As far as I'm concerned, so long as there isn't a direct sequel involving this film, the franchise can continue forward with the right writer/director. Sure it might take away, but I don't see this being the "nail in the coffin" so to speak.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on Sep 12, 2018, 06:01:55 PM
mudbutt, think about it if the script was leaked before the film was even in production, and avpgalaxy made its opinion on the matter heard, i think yes it might of worked. any studio not prepared to listen to its fan base is economically an idiot. if the fans dont like something, whats the message to the general public? They want to make money right? surely the best of both worlds is how to do it......

maybe just maybe they just dont like us very much, i mean they needlessly ruined alien with the origins of the xenos being down to david, and they have now pulled a similar stunt with predator. Its like they actually want to piss us off or something. I hope disney destroy 20th century fox, its the most mediocre studio currently in existence by a long mile, plus i hate Rupert Murdoch anyway,

Ridley Scott and John Logan are to blame for anything wrong with Alien Covenant. 20th Century Fox did not meddle with that movie. They felt confident enough in it to release it during the summer versus the original release date.

Studios do not HAVE to do anything for fans. If creatives came on here and took some of the ideas people throw around for what they want to happen we'd have even more bad movies. You think it's as simple as a big producer coming on here and taking script ideas based off the countless members on here who spout nonsense because they feel personally offended by a story decision. At the end of the day these are just movies.

Fox has a history of pissing of directors and meddling in productions, yes. Fox has also given us some of the greatest films ever. You want them to listen to the fans only? We are a small percentage of the audience. The goal of a studio film is to reach the biggest possible audience and appeal to them so people from all walks of life see this movie and it makes tons of money. If they only catered to this forum it would mean far less potential earnings for the film. Making any one of us on here happy is not the goal of the studio or any studio for that matter. Even Marvel does things that piss people off but they don't go and stalk the message boards to make sure they put in what people want.

The studio knew the script had leaked, they were aware it was being floated around and still it did not change anything. Numerous articles were made about the crazy shit that happened in that early draft and you can bet that people in the studio saw them. Leaking a script to the mass public would have done nothing. Once a studio changes an entire production of a movie because some online troll posts a leaked script online than you'd see scripts pop up left and right.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Wysps on Sep 12, 2018, 06:11:08 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 12, 2018, 06:07:53 PM

Honestly that's the best way of going into it. Just view it for what it is, enjoy it for what it has to give, and not read too much into it. As far as I'm concerned, so long as there isn't a direct sequel involving this film, the franchise can continue forward with the right writer/director. Sure it might take away, but I don't see this being the "nail in the coffin" so to speak.

Yeah i know i'm gonna have me some fun with dialogue, interactions between characters, predator badassery and gore stuff, some cool action sequences, probably even some interesting bits of directing... And i will probably also roll my eyes regarding the silliest aspects of the plot, the narrative structure... Well, at least it will be a fun ride, the opposite of a bland experience i had with Predators for example.

Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Oh the critics are down right nailing this movie to the wall! And I love it! Half these bozo's think Thor rag(piece of shit) rok is a great movie! So glad I've never went off of what they say.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed