Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 283,834 times)

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 14, 2019, 08:15:29 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Jan 15, 2019, 08:09:01 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 14, 2019, 08:15:29 PM
https://twitter.com/RaccontiScienza/status/1082275863729766405

What a beauty. Love the marine reptiles.

They're amazing!  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVcVPjakp8s

I love the Liopleurodon's design from WwD. I know they exaggerated his size, but still, awesome depiction.

They even based his black and white coloring somewhat in reality as the leatherback turtle, the biggest marine reptile of our day and age, spots a similiar coloring :

Vertigo

Vertigo

New sauropod described today, Bajadasaurus, from the very early Cretaceous of Patagonia. It's a dicraeosaurid, the sister group to diplodocids.

The most distinctive feature is a set of enormous forward-pointing neck spines, and the study suggests that they were probably defensive structures, like an antelope's horns, rather than the heatsink/display/hump ideas that had previously been suggested for similar (but less extreme) spiny-necked close relative Amargasaurus.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Vertigo on Feb 04, 2019, 10:49:21 PM
New sauropod described today, Bajadasaurus, from the very early Cretaceous of Patagonia. It's a dicraeosaurid, the sister group to diplodocids.

The most distinctive feature is a set of enormous forward-pointing neck spines, and the study suggests that they were probably defensive structures, like an antelope's horns, rather than the heatsink/display/hump ideas that had previously been suggested for similar (but less extreme) spiny-necked close relative Amargasaurus.

Amazing creature. Hopefully we'll be able to see one of these in a Jurassic Park movie. It's look like the kind of animal one can see in ancient mythology, or even on an alien planet!  8)

You can't appreciate it much in the photo (since it was taken behind the skeletons), but I went to a small fossil exhibition some time ago. There the stars were its cousin Amargasaurus and the dromaeosaurid Austroraptor cabazai.

I also remember seeing the ancient Herrerasaurus and other small dinosaurs on display.

Vertigo

Wow! Those are all genera that I really want to see in person. Whereabouts was that?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Interesting  8)

Quote from: Vertigo on Feb 08, 2019, 08:47:20 AM
Wow! Those are all genera that I really want to see in person. Whereabouts was that?

Santiago de Chile, austral South America. Sadly, Paleontology is in its infancy, unlike in the case of our neighbors in Argentina. However,
an interesting aspect of the fossil exhibition was this Chimera dinosaur from my lands...

I had taken other pictures on that occasion, but my old laptop is dead. I'll see if I find copies.  :)

Immortan Jonesy

The Kurgan

First video of ancient 'bear-like' wolf preserved in the permafrost for more than 40,000 years

That you Shaggydog?

https://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/first-video-of-ancient-bear-like-wolf-preserved-in-the-permafrost-for-more-than-40000-years/

KiramidHead

That museum guy from Season 2 of Hannibal would love that.

Immortan Jonesy

https://youtu.be/TcA9EAOiA-o 

Quote from: The Kurgan on Jun 13, 2019, 05:20:14 PM
First video of ancient 'bear-like' wolf preserved in the permafrost for more than 40,000 years

That you Shaggydog?

https://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/first-video-of-ancient-bear-like-wolf-preserved-in-the-permafrost-for-more-than-40000-years/

Hopefully a lost world can be resurrected someday. It seems impossible to clone dinosaurs, but maybe the ancient mammals are better candidates. Although I'm too optimistic about it  ;D

Immortan Jonesy

True dinosaurs didn't sound like in the movies.

Quote from: GizmodoAn updated analysis of a 77-million-year-old fossil found in Alberta, Canada has resulted in the creation of a new genus and species of pterosaur. The newly named flying reptile, dubbed Cryodrakon boreas, featured an impressive 32-foot wingspan (but probably not the Canadian flag colors depicted above).

Immortan Jonesy

Alien Primordial Origin

Alien Primordial Origin

Whoa!  You know I love of Paleontology, Astronomy and Archaeology.  But I never expected to see a topic about dinsoaurs and Paleontology in AVPGalaxy forum lol   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Immortan Jonesy

These are supposed to be scientific accurate reconstructions of T.Rex.

KiramidHead

I was just recently reminded that Dinotopia was a thing. And goddamn, were those books legit:

Stitch

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 31, 2020, 01:33:02 AM
I was just recently reminded that Dinotopia was a thing. And goddamn, were those books legit:

The TV series is currently on Amazon Prime video as well

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed