Now that I have seen it, why the title Prometheus?! *SPOILERS*

Started by Kev Loaf, Jun 01, 2012, 03:57:30 PM

Author
Now that I have seen it, why the title Prometheus?! *SPOILERS* (Read 3,738 times)

Kev Loaf

Some believed that the plot would involve someone stealing something or pissing of the gods and getting punished, like the Prometheus myth. However, I see no similarity other than the name.

I guess David stole an urn but that was not the reason the Engineer got pissed off and ripped off his head. In fact the Engineers planned 2000 years ago to destroy us and as far as Im concerned they decided this randomly, unless I missed something. Anyone who has a theory will just be guessing right?!

LINDELCOCK!!!!!!!! I'm hate you!!!! (waves fist)

Truise

Quote from: Kev Loaf on Jun 01, 2012, 03:57:30 PM
Some believed that the plot would involve someone stealing something or pissing of the gods and getting punished, like the Prometheus myth. However, I see no similarity other than the name.

I guess David stole an urn but that was not the reason the Engineer got pissed off and ripped off his head. In fact the Engineers planned 2000 years ago to destroy us and as far as Im concerned they decided this randomly, unless I missed something. Anyone who has a theory will just be guessing right?!

I havent seen the movie but it appears to be related to the sacrificing engineer somehow.

nendo

nendo

The plot was never going to be a play for play of the prometheus mytho. It was the name of the ship with some elements taken from the Promethues mytho. Nothing more than that. I wasn't expecting the film to rely heavily on the promethues mytho to be honest as at the end of the day it was the name of the ship

Quote from: Truise on Jun 01, 2012, 04:20:29 PM

I havent seen the movie but it appears to be related to the sacrificing engineer somehow.

Not really. People are speculating that the engineer at the beginning chosen to seed Earth against the other engineers will. So he stole the tech from the other gods and gave us life. But this is never explained or brought up in the movie. It was pure speculation

Promethean Fire

Its all metaphorical.  In his opening speech, Weyland comments on how Prometheus has returned.  We don't know enough about the sacrificial Engineer to know his role in the game yet.

On the surface level, Weyland is definitely this story's Prometheus as
Spoiler
he wants to meet his maker and essentially challenge our concept of death
[close]

hfeldhaus

The basis for the Prometheus myth is the challenging of gods, the reason the engineer eye pissed is because he realises David is an artificial person, thus we have created life, challenging the gods basically we have become too powerful for the engineers liking so they look to destroy us and start again! David say this I the film 'to create you must destroy'

Deuterium

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 01, 2012, 04:54:52 PM
The basis for the Prometheus myth is the challenging of gods, the reason the engineer eye pissed is because he realises David is an artificial person, thus we have created life, challenging the gods basically we have become too powerful for the engineers liking so they look to destroy us and start again! David say this I the film 'to create you must destroy'

Hfeldhaus, but that doesn't explain why the "engineers"
Spoiler
decided to wipe us out 2000 years ago?  We certainly weren't creating artificial / AI life, 2000 years ago.
[close]

I mean, I haven't seen the film yet, but I understand this is a significant (if completely arbitrary and unexplained) plot point...from reading other people's review's.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Deuterium on Jun 01, 2012, 05:13:41 PM

Spoiler
decided to wipe us out 2000 years ago?  We certainly weren't creating artificial / AI life, 2000 years ago.
[close]

I mean, I haven't seen the film yet, but I understand this is a significant (if completely arbitrary and unexplained) plot point...from reading other people's review's.

I know, that question seems to be thing that sets up the the sequel
Spoiler
Shaw has David plot a course for the jockey home world to find out what happened 2000 years ago
[close]

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Deuterium on Jun 01, 2012, 05:13:41 PM

Spoiler
[close]

This scene almost feels like an excuse for Ridley purely to give us eye candy.  There is no "The Dawn of Time" subtitle.  Heck, I don't even think its obvious what planet the prologue is supposed to take place on.  It could just as easily be LV-223 as it could be Earth.  Quite frankly, I wasn't impressed with this scene.  A few landscape shots are nice and all, but I expected some amazing time lapse photography showing us the changing of the land, the evolution of life.  No such luck.  Could have quite easily been left on the cutting room floor and made not one iota of difference to the plot.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Jun 01, 2012, 05:21:57 PM
This scene almost feels like an excuse for Ridley purely to give us eye candy.  There is no "The Dawn of Time" subtitle.  Heck, I don't even think its obvious what planet the prologue is supposed to take place on.  It could just as easily be LV-223 as it could be Earth.  Quite frankly, I wasn't impressed with this scene.  A few landscape shots are nice and all, but I expected some amazing time lapse photography showing us the changing of the land, the evolution of life.  No such luck.  Could have quite easily been left on the cutting room floor and made not one iota of difference to the plot.

PF, I don't think we are talking about the same thing, here.

I was talking about the plot point I put in spoilers, above.  I think you are talking about the very opening scene of the film.  However, I do agree with your assesment that it doesn't appear that the
Spoiler
"sacrificial engineer"
[close]
scene was given any further development in the film.

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Deuterium on Jun 01, 2012, 05:26:22 PM

I was talking about the plot point I put in spoilers, above.  I think you are talking about the very opening scene of the film.  However, I do agree with your assesment that it doesn't appear that the
Spoiler
"sacrificial engineer"
[close]

We are talking about the same thing.  In as far as both plot points are completetly and utterly pointless, and serve no purpose other than to create...oooh new mysteries.   ::)

hfeldhaus

Spoiler
"sacrificial engineer"
[close]

I disagree with you on the scene, it consist of some of he bets shots in the whole film! It's tense, beautifully shot and equally horrific, in my eyes the perfect start to the film. I agree tho that it could have been used more in the story and explored, more could have come from that scene (I seem to saying that about quite a lot of scenes in the film)

Spoiler
"sacrificial engineer"
[close]

I disagree with you on the scene, it consist of some of he bets shots in the whole film! It's tense, beautifully shot and equally horrific, in my eyes the perfect start to the film. I agree tho that it could have been used more in the story and explored, more could have come from that scene (I seem to saying that about quite a lot of scenes in the film)

EEV-2501

Weyland spokes of the return of Prometheus in his speech but nothing more. Apparently he just want to meet his maker before dying. No evil plan behind that. They don't stole anything that can unleash the wrath of the Engineers. David takes the urn but at no moment the Enginner is aware of this event cause he's sleeping. Everything start by "accident" with the contamination of the air in the urns room by the opening of the door. No story about fury of the gods or whatever.

OpenMaw

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 01, 2012, 05:37:11 PM

A scene that exists in a vacuum, as far as movie making is concerned, is not a worthwhile scene at all. No matter how it makes one feel, or how beautiful it is.

I'm hearing a lot of stuff about disjointed editing and scenery here. It's making me a little antsy.

Promethean Fire

Promethean Fire

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 01, 2012, 05:37:11 PM

Spoiler
"sacrificial engineer"
[close]

Spoiler
"sacrificial engineer"
[close]

I felt the scene, purely from a narrative standpoint failed, it was designed purely to be a hook.  I looked over at my girlfriend as she watched the scene and she seemed totally bemused by it. 
Spoiler
Landscape shots, shadow of Independence Day style space ship, Robed guy walking to waterfall, drops robe drinks fluid, collapses and falls into waterfall, DNA breaks up, cells of life apprently created.
[close]
The problem is, the scene has no immediate context, especially to the Prometheus Virgins.

Quote from: EEV-2501 on Jun 01, 2012, 05:39:45 PM
Weyland spokes of the return of Prometheus in his speech but nothing more. Apparently he just want to meet his maker before dying. No evil plan behind that. They don't stole anything that can unleash the wrath of the Engineers. David takes the urn but at no moment the Enginner is aware of this event cause he's sleeping. Everything start by "accident" with the contamination of the air in the urns room by the opening of the door. No story about fury of the gods or whatever.

It is implied that
Spoiler
Weyland is giving David orders in stasis.  Such as stealing the ampule, infecting Holloway etc
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed