Will there be a directors cut?

Started by Kev Loaf, May 30, 2012, 07:50:18 PM

Author
Will there be a directors cut? (Read 5,770 times)

Kev Loaf

Kev Loaf

I'm told that Blade Runner was a pile of poo until people saw the directors cut, which for some strange reason improved the film. I have only ever seen the directors cut so I will have to take peoples word.

The story for Prometheus, at least the one described by those who have seen it is a pile poo. It seems unfinished, lots of plot holes. Will there be a directors cut that will fill in the holes or is that wishful thinking?

Keg

Keg

Jesus the film is only just being released to theaters in the next couple of days and hardly anyone has even seen it yet. How the hell does anybody know if there will be a directors cut. Watch the damn film first.

fiveways

fiveways

Blade runner before the directors cut was still a great movie.  They just made it better.

Anyone who calls it a pile of poo obviously didn't watch it when it was the only version that you could easily find. 

Get over the plot holes.  Every movie has them.  Some might even be there on purpose to be as a teaser for a sequel.  Not everything needs to be wrapped up in a nice little bow.  And some of those plot holes?  It would take a movie to explain one of them.  They had 2 hours.  Deal with it.

I'm glad your whining about a movie you haven't seen to the extent you are.  You sound like a privileged, spoiled brat who if it isn't 100% his vision has a tizzy fit.  Welcome to the real world.  Harden up and buy a helmet.

GhettoDefendant

Far from poo. The only thing I'm not as fond of in the theatrical cut of BR is the narration. I think when it was released reception was mixed but as time went on it proved it's worth. I think Prometheus will be regarded as a classic in time. As for a director's cut, who the hell knows

Qwertify

Qwertify

Quote from: Keg on May 30, 2012, 08:04:25 PM
Jesus the film is only just being released to theaters in the next couple of days and hardly anyone has even seen it yet. How the hell does anybody know if there will be a directors cut. Watch the damn film first.

This.
And I doubt the film will be a disappointment. I won't throw a mountain of anticipation against a gaunt synopsis to wring out an opinion of the film. I really like many of the elements people think as weak or lazy.

Spoiler
I like the Engineer burster at the end. It is not AVP as the alien will itself have nothing to do with the franchise later on - that one on LV-223 at least. I like the giant face hugger and just the general idea that this black ooze has an incredibly potent capacity to morph biology and even mineral/rock elements into new parasitic ones that breed ever more vicious forms of biomechanoid life. The black ooze is very much like the facehugger in this sense, but I suppose you can say it works on the nano level. So much of this is open.
The SJ may play a small role but it is good that so much about them is still left open. In short the film hardly scratches the surface of what is really going on. All the possibilities we were hoping for still remain open and that is really something great.

It feels like Scott was left with three options. Make a grand ending and close the book on Prometheus/SJ/Alien, make an open end where the resolution is tied to a sequel, and a third option, which makes no sense, and that is a combination of the two. It feels lousy that at the film we have learned so little - but with such grand ideas in play - it seems unjustified to try to cover everything in a two hour movie.
[close]

Valaquen

Valaquen

The critics in '79 largely said Alien's story was shit. You care?

Ash 937

Ash 937

Quote from: fiveways on May 30, 2012, 08:05:35 PM
Get over the plot holes.  Every movie has them.  Some might even be there on purpose to be as a teaser for a sequel.

Yup.  The mystery of how the egg got on the Sulaco was intentionally left unanswered in Alien3 so that it could be explained in Alien: Resurrection.

But that's a bit off-topic...

Back on topic...I did hear that if the film did receive a PG-13 rating that an unrated Director's Cut would be released.  Don't know if any of that's changed since Prometheus has since been rated R.

Kev Loaf

Kev Loaf

Blade runner before the directors cut was still a great movie.  They just made it better.

Anyone who calls it a pile of poo obviously didn't watch it when it was the only version that you could easily find. 

Get over the plot holes.  Every movie has them.  Some might even be there on purpose to be as a teaser for a sequel.  Not everything needs to be wrapped up in a nice little bow.  And some of those plot holes?  It would take a movie to explain one of them.  They had 2 hours.  Deal with it.

I'm glad your whining about a movie you haven't seen to the extent you are.  You sound like a privileged, spoiled brat who if it isn't 100% his vision has a tizzy fit.  Welcome to the real world.  Harden up and buy a helmet.

Ive read the spoilers of 4 different people who saw the films - I know the entire plot and its shit. I don't have to see it to know that.

The plot holes are more then just plot holes. Just piss poor laziness. They will not be filled in any sequels, they will no doubt be covered up and ignored. This is how people like Lindeloff work. 

I had no vision other then hoping it would be a non shit film.

EC jay

EC jay

I just came back from watching it, and the plot is far from shit
the movie is not what I expected, that's for sure, but it's not a bad movie
and what plot holes are you referring to?

Gash

Gash

You could get four random people to explain Blade Runner, or any other favourite film - chances are they'd be missing points and putting their own spin on things. But that's the way things go. Best to view the film for yourself and see if you make more sense of things than this viewing by proxy approach.

From what's been said about some characters being too sketchy, I wouldn't be surprised if there were cuts in a desire to keep the film around two hours, which is a shame if true. There have been director's cuts of a number of Ridley's recent films, so I'd say it's quite likely. It's used as a marketing ploy these days anyway. Prometheus will, I imagine, be a worthy candidate for this if indeed it had to have a trim for timing.

But if a DC is on the cards, like Kingdom of Heaven before it, I'm sure an expanded version will fix some of the perceived character flaws. We'll have to wait another year probably. Are you so convinced this film is shit that you'll wait that long? Or just not bother to see it at all?

Though actually this forum seems to have really brought out the glass half empty brigade, most of the reviews are positive, so I don't see all the doom and gloom.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Gash on May 30, 2012, 09:37:22 PM
Though actually this forum seems to have really brought out the glass have empty brigade, most of the reviews are positive, so I don't see all the doom and gloom.
I'm thinking the same. They would've all written ALIEN off at this rate back in the day. It seems they all want 33 years of prestige to be instantly transferred onto this new movie. Well, no, not how it works.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Kev Loaf on May 30, 2012, 09:01:23 PM

Ive read the spoilers of 4 different people who saw the films - I know the entire plot and its shit. I don't have to see it to know that.

The plot holes are more then just plot holes. Just piss poor laziness. They will not be filled in any sequels, they will no doubt be covered up and ignored. This is how people like Lindeloff work. 

I had no vision other then hoping it would be a non shit film.

I have some wonderful swampland in florida for sale.  4 people say it is nice.  You should buy it before seeing it for yourself.

zoidy

zoidy

Quote from: Kev Loaf on May 30, 2012, 07:50:18 PM
I'm told that Blade Runner was a pile of poo until people saw the directors cut, which for some strange reason improved the film. I have only ever seen the directors cut so I will have to take peoples word.

The story for Prometheus, at least the one described by those who have seen it is a pile poo. It seems unfinished, lots of plot holes. Will there be a directors cut that will fill in the holes or is that wishful thinking?
Theatrical Blade Runner is magnificent. So is the directors cut.

And you havent seen Prometheus. You were wrong about Blade Runner, based on others opinions ... so ... you  know ... ?

Vickers Valiant

Vickers Valiant

Well, in regards to the topic's title; I'm sure you remember the comment that Ridley had made about how he believes that the theatrical release should be the director's cut. I'm still hoping that there's a DVD/BluRay with a bunch of extra content/deleted scenes, though.

mastermoon

mastermoon

Quote from: Keg on May 30, 2012, 08:04:25 PM

We got next week to wait for the movie, maybe the directors cut will be a 133 minutes long.

Note: Are you dating the mudokon Jessica Gabbit on friday June 8TH :laugh:.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed