When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 75,106 times)

brokentusk420

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 27, 2017, 08:20:37 PM
No, you just show up and insult other fans for disliking or thinking critically of a film you enjoy. I would rate Covenant above AR but I'm not going to slag off fellow fans who might not. So let's chill out with that attitude please.

Nothing I said was insulting. There was no name calling simply stating facts.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 27, 2017, 08:20:37 PM
I would rate Covenant above AR but I'm not going to slag off fellow fans who might not.

I would rate my last bowel movement above AR.

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Sep 27, 2017, 08:12:04 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 27, 2017, 07:48:39 PM
Indeed.  Please continue to dazzle us with your film snobbery.  You're a laugh riot.

It's not film snobbery. It's the truth. You know how I know it is? By the way you are reacting to it. It bothers you because it struck a chord with you that you know is true. You have nothing in the form of a rebutale. Instead you result to the lowest form of response.

No, my lowest form of response is against the rules here.

SM

Oh, go on.  There must be a 'Responding to pomposity and lack of self-awareness' defence in the rules somewhere

Local Trouble

Yeah, but he just said that nothing he said was insulting.  So now I'm at a loss.  :-\

SM

Then you can use that same 'Nah, because I said so' defence.

Local Trouble

Highland

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Sep 27, 2017, 07:31:08 PM
Its not the actors, the script, or even Scott. Its the "fanboys" and the internet. I long for the days before the people who dont know anything about film making could have their voice heard. I've been on this site for since the early days and the amount of garbage ideas that fuel peoples bias opinions of the recent two entities of the franchise are overwhelming. Its all bells and whistles that they confuse for good story telling. The nostalgia for the things that became their favorites parts of the originals and the undying and desire for more of the same ole stuff in every film. For most of them these ideas were formed in their minds at a young and uneducated age in regards to what make a film a good film.

People have the right to not like something, but too often they equate as grounds to say something is all around just bad. This is from their lack of ability to really analyze a movie without their own preconceived bias. Both Prometheus and Covenant are good and worthy entries into the franchise, more so than Aliens and A:R were. While Aliens changed the formula to a action driven movie, it suffers from MANY of its own problem such as turning the Alien into cannon fodder in favor of some boss battle at the end. Its comes from the low hanging fruit idea of make a sequel riddled with "more" and "bigger". Its really poor writing.

But as I said the majority of people on here saw it with a young and impressionable mind and will never see it with any other eyes, and go on to whine and complain when everything else doesn't resemble that impression.   

Even though I don't agree with what you've said, sometimes I do wonder if all the movies I love now are because they scared me as a kid, terrified me. I had nightmares about both the Alien and Prefstor, I couldn't watch Jaws til the end, The Thing - shit! Now all of those films would proudly sit in my top 10.

We would have to ask younger fans ( much younger and probably not allowed on forums) if they found Prometheus and Covenant scary, because I'd say now ( probably being an adult) they were super light on the chills.

I don't think that's just the sole reason though, just a big one. There are current sci fi movies I find extremely enjoyable and well made , like Children of Men or even Mad Max.

When you put Aliens on now there's no bit you want to skip, every single scene is filled with character. I just think it's a well made movie. I guess my point in all of this is that the age you saw a movie poissibly matters, but I don't think that people that dislike the current movies automatically compare it with the old ones.

426Buddy

Quote from: SM on Sep 27, 2017, 09:06:46 PM
Oh, go on.  There must be a 'Responding to pomposity and lack of self-awareness' defence in the rules somewhere

:laugh:

Anthony

Younger fan here (turning 15 at the end of October). I wouldn't say I found either Prometheus or Covenant scary, but honestly, I didn't need them to be. As long as I could be invested in the characters, that's all I need. A good recent example would be It. I wasn't really scared (with one notable exception, but that'd be getting into spoiler territory), but I didn't mind, because I loved the characters and wanted to see them succeed. I felt Prometheus also succeeded at that, on top of being visually stunning and having some great ideas on where to take the series. With Covenant, however, the only new characters I liked were Daniels, Walter and Tennessee. That was one of several problems I had with Covenant. And it's not like I went in hating it. Tied with Dunkirk, it was my most anticipated film of the summer. I wanted it to be good. I even saw it twice in the theaters. Alas, I just found it disappointing. Not terrible, not even bad I'd say, just meh.

Then again, I unironically like Suicide Squad, so maybe my tastes in film shouldn't be trusted.

monkeylove

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Sep 27, 2017, 07:31:08 PM
Its not the actors, the script, or even Scott. Its the "fanboys" and the internet. I long for the days before the people who dont know anything about film making could have their voice heard. I've been on this site for since the early days and the amount of garbage ideas that fuel peoples bias opinions of the recent two entities of the franchise are overwhelming. Its all bells and whistles that they confuse for good story telling. The nostalgia for the things that became their favorites parts of the originals and the undying and desire for more of the same ole stuff in every film. For most of them these ideas were formed in their minds at a young and uneducated age in regards to what make a film a good film.

People have the right to not like something, but too often they equate as grounds to say something is all around just bad. This is from their lack of ability to really analyze a movie without their own preconceived bias. Both Prometheus and Covenant are good and worthy entries into the franchise, more so than Aliens and A:R were. While Aliens changed the formula to a action driven movie, it suffers from MANY of its own problem such as turning the Alien into cannon fodder in favor of some boss battle at the end. Its comes from the low hanging fruit idea of make a sequel riddled with "more" and "bigger". Its really poor writing.

But as I said the majority of people on here saw it with a young and impressionable mind and will never see it with any other eyes, and go on to whine and complain when everything else doesn't resemble that impression.

From what I gathered, the praise for Prometheus and Covenant is based on the point that they have very good special effects and set design, but they did badly in the box office because of problems with stories and characterization.

Aliens became action-driven because the horror element could no longer be repeated for obvious reasons. And one possible reason why it is mentioned together with Alien is because both have very good stories and characterization.

Finally, the point about nostalgia is notable but that might not be reason for the weakness of the two recent movies. What is more likely is that producers wanted to revive the franchise and thought of doing two things: repeat elements from the first movies that made them profitable, and then bring in a backstory driven by gravitas, with set design and special effects updated in order to appeal to a global audience and justify the label of a "blockbuster."

The result was a mess because they were trying to put together sets of stories that did not work with each other: the alien astronaut storyline mixed with elements from the Alien storyline, then a continuation of the backstory (this time with musings on art, philosophy, religion, etc.) mixed this time with elements from Aliens (and part of Alien, as seen in characters alluding to Dallas or who look like Ripley).

newagescamartist

Quote from: AD on Sep 28, 2017, 12:45:18 AM

Then again, I unironically like Suicide Squad, so maybe my tastes in film shouldn't be trusted.

Depends on what you liked about Suicide Squad. I liked the costumes and the first 30 minutes a lot. That being said, I haven't seen the extended cut yet.

monkeylove

Films are usually judged based on their ability to fulfill their expected purpose. In this case, one should not compare Alien with Aliens because they employ different genres. In which case, one should not fault one movie because it focuses on horror while another on action.

Next, it's obvious that the genre cannot be repeated in this case. The horror element developed in the first movie was no longer possible for the second, which is why the latter focused on action. The third could not repeat the first two, which is why it emphasized something similar to detective fiction (i.e., knowing enough about the creature but figuring out how to kill it without the availability of weapons). The fourth probably focused on something related to conspiracy and the thriller (which is introduced at the end of the third movie).

At this point, the producers decided to develop the backstory, and understandably focused on the origins of the engineers and the creatures. Given the point this type of story would likely not be driven by action or horror, then they should have made something else.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: monkeylove on Sep 28, 2017, 03:22:20 AM
From what I gathered, the praise for Prometheus and Covenant is based on the point that they have very good special effects and set design, but they did badly in the box office because of problems with stories and characterization.

I don't know if I would describe a film like Prometheus with a budget of 130 million, grossing 400 million at the box office as "did badly at the box office."

SM

Neither did badly at the box office.  Covenant underperformed though.

Local Trouble

That's because it didn't have guns and explosions and queens and marines and Ripley!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed