Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 277,888 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 05, 2020, 08:55:06 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 05, 2020, 08:50:00 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 05, 2020, 08:44:48 PM
Is this because I like AvP Requiem?

Yes.

Well guess what. The fault you pointed out. It's with AvP.  Not AvP-R.   :P

AvP-R had to work with what was setup before it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 05, 2020, 08:58:53 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 05, 2020, 08:55:06 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 05, 2020, 08:50:00 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 05, 2020, 08:44:48 PM
Is this because I like AvP Requiem?

Yes.

Well guess what. The fault you pointed out. It's with AvP.  Not AvP-R.   :P

AvP-R had to work with what was setup before it.

https://i.imgur.com/R150J7V.gif

;D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 05, 2020, 07:39:48 PM
The characters in Covenant were still frequently stupid, but they at least felt like real people and not bits of movie character clipart.

If the current world situation is teaching us anything...it's that real people are seriously that dumb. So, you know, realistic, I guess.

Still Collating...

I find when I compare movies to real life and historical events that if movie characters are competent, calm and smart that such traits seem to be very unrealistic in tough situations. People have reminded me in the past few months how stupid they can be, no matter their position and education.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Tbh, other than wandering out onto the planet with no protective gear and immediately deciding David is totes trustworthy when he's clearly creepy as f*ck (I'm thinking of you in particular, Oram), I didn't think the characters in Covenant were egregiously dumb.

People harp on the Neomorph birth scene on the shuttle, but given the horror of what was happening I found Faris' lack of coordination and foresight pretty valid.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 06, 2020, 07:55:42 AM
The characters in Covenant were still frequently stupid, but they at least felt like real people and not bits of movie character clipart.

If the current world situation is teaching us anything...it's that real people are seriously that dumb. So, you know, realistic, I guess.

Yet... the crew of the Nostromo didn't appear anywhere near as dumb. So, I have to disagree with this. Even they had their protocols and quarantine rules and they were just truck drivers in space. And even when those rules were broken, they still felt like rational, trained real people reacting in an irritation situation. So I think it's all about presentation and execution... and the script.  :)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 06, 2020, 11:31:21 AM

Yet... the crew of the Nostromo didn't appear anywhere near as dumb. So, I have to disagree with this. Even they had their protocols and quarantine rules and they were just truck drivers in space. And even when those rules were broken, they still felt like rational, trained real people reacting in an irritation situation. So I think it's all about presentation and execution... and the script.  :)

Yet Kane sticks hist face over an egg in a very forboding alien ship and Brett wanders off alone while searching for a hostile Alien lifeform they know nothing about.

Its all about what you are willing to overlook or downplay when you enjoy something. If you don't like something then you will look for and find reasons for disliking it.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 06, 2020, 12:17:02 PM

Yet Kane sticks hist face over an egg in a very forboding alien ship and Brett wanders off alone while searching for a hostile Alien lifeform they know nothing about.

Its all about what you are willing to overlook or downplay when you enjoy something. If you don't like something then you will look for and find reasons for disliking it.

You mean...Like people who enjoy prequels even though there's always someone to tell them why they shouldn't like them?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Thats just how it goes, I'm sure the 4-5 people in the world who enjoy AvPR probably understand how you feel. :laugh:

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Well to be fair, even the AlienĀ³ fans should be able to understand the feeling  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 06, 2020, 12:17:02 PM

I don't think it's quite that simple. It suggests that both are equal and critics are willing to overlook it in one movie but not the other. It suggests the appearance of unfairness by critic and viewer. But in actuality, there's Kane, the inquisitive engineer who has not sensed real danger or any crew members dying as of yet, all while he (and the audience) is given a false sense of security by his very large and opposing helmet.. while a helmet-less Oram who has been surrounded by the horror and loss of multiple crewmembers already decides.. ah what the hell, let's get in close to this Alien egg. David said it's safe. What's the worst that can happen?

Now, even though I honestly never had a personal beef with Oram doing that, I get when people do. And this whole conversation was started by one suggesting the criticisms from audiences are simply a reaction to people not getting the film that they wanted. But I must admit with both Covenant and Prometheus (which I really like), there's more to it than that, more to forgive and get past, which some unfortunately cannot. And I just get it that's all, especially with movies that take itself so seriously.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 06, 2020, 12:34:24 PM
You mean...Like people who enjoy prequels even though there's always someone to tell them why they shouldn't like them?

I hope you're not suggesting I'm saying you shouldn't like it. Saying I can understand the criticism point of view of the youtuber or some comments in said video that Local posted is quite different from saying you shouldn't like it.

Wait, did Local start something..... again?? :P

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 06, 2020, 02:10:37 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 06, 2020, 12:34:24 PM

I hope you're not suggesting I'm saying you shouldn't like it. Saying I can understand the criticism point of view of the youtuber or some comments in said video that Local posted is quite different from saying you shouldn't like it.

Wait, did Local start something..... again?? :P

First! Local Wars are fun. And secondly, no ... I'm not suggesting that.  :laugh:

People dying due to silly actions it can be interpreted as natural selection doing its job. It's a scientific topic and this is science fiction after all. So it makes sence!  :P

Ever heard about Darwin Awards  :laugh:

https://darwinawards.com

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 06, 2020, 02:26:43 PMEver heard about Darwin Awards  :laugh:

You wouldn't expect those f*cknuckles to be hired as the crew of an important interstellar mission though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed