What do you want to see in Romulus?

Started by littlesprout, Jan 07, 2023, 11:15:22 PM

Author
What do you want to see in Romulus? (Read 42,072 times)

aliens13

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 15, 2023, 09:36:42 AMUnder The Hunter's Moon's a better expansion pack. Actually made me wish the main campaign had resource management, instead of the functionally infinite constant stop start of using a weapon, then recharging your energy over and over only at the cost of time itself.

The balancing's as wack as it always was only now Aliens spawn ceaselessly to drag out the playtime, not even counting the cool in theory but awful in practice wildlife, especially the f**king worms that can and will pop up bloody anywhere. There's only really one Alien level, the story goes nowhere instead of expanding upon any of the many compelling threads of the main campaign, and the tone's all kinds of just cartoony. The level design's also pretty horrendous.

Looks like you didn't like Primal Hunt 😆 me either, the campaign it's horrendous in comparison of the main game, it doesn't have any charm. In the main game you could play the same levels 1000 times allover again and you will always find it awesome or something that you didn't know. I remember playing AvP2 when I was a kid and being excited to play Primal Hunt, and when I had the chance of play it, I was very disappointed

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on May 15, 2023, 06:38:23 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 14, 2023, 07:24:14 PMPrimal Hunt. At least Requiem is somewhat enjoyable if you temporarily stunt your IQ chemically. PH is irredeemable.
I was too young to care about game quality and never understood why people hated it. It was always just more AvP fun, if short. What was so awful about it?

Blue has touched on some of this, but:

- The cringiest and most pointless shower scene in videogame history, which is really saying something.
- Infinitely spawning Aliens and intentionally confusing level design to extend play length.
- A lot of terrible design/art direction choices that clash severely with the base game.
- Alien campaign where you're only the adult Alien for one level, and it's absolutely crammed with synths with miniguns and rockets instead of things you can eat.
- Wildlife with broken AI - some of the creatures just spin and jump on the spot even after detecting you.
- Wildlife with not broken AI but terrible concept and design - the goddamn worms.
- Extremely childish attempts at comedy that make Requiems' look downright classy and mature.
- Once you figure out that you have to rush things rather than waiting for enemies to run out at certain points, and have the maps somewhat figured out, it actually adds less than an hours' play total to the game anyway.
- Tries to tell a bit of backstory for the pods but then forgets that's what it's actually doing and shows the what but not the how of the event.

I could continue but I don't want to keep thinking about PH.

xenotaris

Well I guess I won't be posting my AVP2/Primal Hunt fan novelization on here

[cancerblack]

Broadly speaking, the forum loves AvP2 but is indifferent at best to PH.

xenotaris

Okay then I will post it soon... after I'm done writing a few chapters of my Resident Evil fanfic

xShadowFoxX

More Giger. No Engineers. No David. No Ripley family. More horror. More mystery.

Actually.. no addressing Space Jockeys would be nice. Just that return to basics.

CainsSon

I want to see them find a simple - in mythology way - to correct the narrative issues with the series without hamfisting additions to the lifecycle, just because they feel pressured to, while utilizing the midquel placement.
Ive been saying for years, the way to fix this series is through midquels.
For example, despite us knowing there are all kinds of company knowledge of the alien and corporate conspiracies, we are still all focused on the problem of the egg on the Sulaco. We also know, there's a whole story about Hadley's Hope, no follow up on the events on LV223, a story between Prometheus and Covenant, etc. The holes in the story are vast at this point.
Just tell a story that fills in those blanks.
The problem isn't that they make things less mysterious, as we said with Prometheus, the problem is they are leaving the wrong things mysterious [like, how much does the company know] and the right things - which should remain mysterious - explained [like the Engineers].

BlueMarsalis79

A story set between Prometheus and Alien Covenant? Sure, especially if it endeavours to actually be somewhat creative.

We do not need to see the fall of Hadley's Hope though. Honestly I do not understand the fascination people appear to have with that idea... and considering the beginning and end of that story already exist that sounds quite creatively restrictive and redundant, so let's use our imagination instead.

Similarly with Alien³ an Alien Queen got onboard and contaminated the ship at the end of Aliens so, I do not think that merits further explanation, in fact any issue with that lies in us being shown too much already.

CainsSon

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 30, 2023, 05:08:08 PMA story set between Prometheus and Alien Covenant? Sure, especially if it endeavours to actually be somewhat creative.

We do not need to see the fall of Hadley's Hope though. Honestly I do not understand the fascination people appear to have with that idea... and considering the beginning and end of that story already exist that sounds quite creatively restrictive and redundant, so let's use our imagination instead.

Similarly with Alien³ an Alien Queen got onboard and contaminated the ship at the end of Aliens so, I do not think that merits further explanation, in fact any issue with that lies in us being shown too much already.

Actually, what I'm suggesting is a midquel somewhere that simply explains these holes. The idea of saying place it between this or that - while I would choose between Alien-Aliens-A3 - doesn't matter so much as the endeavor to tell a story that fills in the blanks with some simplicity.

I would also note that the one Alien property that has been met with any universal reverence - since the original trilogy - is Alien:Isolation, which, incidentally is a midquel.

BlueMarsalis79

Alien Isolation was a great mid-equel and yet Stasis Interrupted was a woeful mid-equel. That narrative structure guarantees nothing in quality terms.

I just do not believe many of the blanks need filled in and usually believe the opposite with some rigidity. It depends upon specifically what blank we are talking about.

Immortan Jonesy

I love how Tristan Jones incorporated elements from the prequels for his unmade Alien Isolation sequel.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 30, 2023, 05:08:08 PMWe do not need to see the fall of Hadley's Hope though. Honestly I do not understand the fascination people appear to have with that idea... and considering the beginning and end of that story already exist that sounds quite creatively restrictive and redundant, so let's use our imagination instead.hown too much already.

Yup. It was extremely cynical for the RPG to have Hope's Last Day as the demo session, especially considering all the more interesting and impressive things the format lets you do.

And Newt's Tale is pretty much the bottom of the barrel comics-wise, which is saying something because there's some other real stinkers too. People want to see it, but there's nothing to bloody show.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 30, 2023, 09:04:03 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 30, 2023, 05:08:08 PMWe do not need to see the fall of Hadley's Hope though. Honestly I do not understand the fascination people appear to have with that idea... and considering the beginning and end of that story already exist that sounds quite creatively restrictive and redundant, so let's use our imagination instead.hown too much already.

Yup. It was extremely cynical for the RPG to have Hope's Last Day as the demo session, especially considering all the more interesting and impressive things the format lets you do.

And Newt's Tale is pretty much the bottom of the barrel comics-wise, which is saying something because there's some other real stinkers too. People want to see it, but there's nothing to bloody show.

I tend to agree - as it stands - but I think, that if we layer in all of the backstory prior to stepping in that terrain, a good writer can find a way to step foot in Hadley's Hope while focusing on the greater conspiracy.

Overall though, I think that the Derelict ion LV426 s completely cooked. As much as Prometheus and Covenant made that story more layered and the origin of the Derelict on LV426 more head-scratching, I have come away from it all wanting to see less of that.
What I don't like about the prequels is this insinuation that the alien as we know it, may be this new creature. The sort-of Lovecraftian, cosmic-horror, ancient existence, adds far more mystique and layers of fear than it's worth taking away by confidently adding a period after the statement "And David created the xenomorph," as thus I will not.
I hope they somehow find a way to open that door further.

[cancerblack]

Bro, there's no conspiracy to focus on.

SiL

SiL

I almost want a Hadley's Hope movie just to kill the conspiracy theories.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed