The Official PROMETHEUS Griping Thread!

Started by Cvalda, Mar 19, 2012, 09:13:18 PM

Author
The Official PROMETHEUS Griping Thread! (Read 68,595 times)

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 19, 2012, 09:22:38 PM
Sure. I suppose that makes sense, if you disregard the fact that they look just like us, only bigger and balder and bluer. It stands to reason we were created in their image.

It depends on whether or not you support the idea of parallel development. I happen to think it's quite possible.

Cvalda

Quote from: EEV-2501 on Mar 19, 2012, 09:34:19 PM
What's griping me the most ? The shot of the Jockey in his chair. I know It's just a one second shot from a sequence but the head is really ridiculous.

It's the black googly-eyes that do it :D And also the fact that the hose isn't connected. I'm sure he'll look a lot better fully strapped in ;)

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 19, 2012, 09:36:09 PM
It depends on whether or not you support the idea of parallel development. I happen to think it's quite possible.
There's parallel development, and then there's "GTFO this isn't Star Wars" :P

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I like the eyes. They remind me of a Shark.
Wish they kept it an otherwordly mysterious thing... ah well.

NGR01

What's griping me the most ? The shot of the Jockey in his chair. I know It's just a one second shot from a sequence but the head is really ridiculous.

I agree.
The tapir nose make him look silly lol.
But the helmet looks also too big.
Wich is normal since it's the human/synth wannabee god.
The helmet will probably reduce its size and fit better the proportions.
And the nose will make its connection with the reste of the body like the original SPACE JOCKEY.

EEV-2501

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 19, 2012, 09:36:47 PM

It's the black googly-eyes that do it :D And also the fact that the hose isn't connected. I'm sure he'll look a lot better fully strapped in ;)

I really hope. ;)

NGR01

The full light cinematography doesnt help either.
It does feel and look like a rubber suit.
The tapir nose and the open mouth makes him look silly.

SiL

Giving the Jockeys any sort of relationship to humans. So basically the entire God-damn plot. The cool thing about the Jockey in the original was them finding this weird, dead alien thing in the middle of nowhere in space. It gave a great sense of awe and mystery, but as something long gone that they happened to stumble upon. Saying "Wait up! Turns out they're every alien conspiracy theorist's wet dream!" is cheap, lazy, and disingenuous to what made the thing effective in the first place. Adding "And they were out to get us!" turns the whole idea into the worst kind of schlock sci-fi.

Alien took a simple, cliché idea, did it as straightforward and unpretentious as they could, and put its effort into coming up with a handful of really neat ideas to make it better than the competition. From what the trailers are showing, Prometheus is taking a simple, cliché idea and just making it look pretty. There doesn't seem to be any innovation, just a lot of cool-looking set pieces.

This all, mercifully, hinges on what little we know. Hopefully more information means less griping.

bioweapon

the likely mutation. i hope doesnt end like species. in fact theres some similarity in the obscure blood/veins

AmazSpiderMan1

The movie, to me, looks so great in both visuals and atmosphere, that I feel happy it got made and Ridley Scott finally returned to the franchise that propelled his career. Everything about what we have seen so far screams his style, and I love that.

However, I am getting a bad vibe from the idea of explaining away all the mysteries in the Alien universe. Would I have liked to know something more about the Space Jockeys and the origin of the Aliens? Sure, but not nearly to the degree we are getting. There won't be any ambiguity left, and the original "Alien" is a film propelled by what we DON'T know. And this goes double if we find out Peter Weyland, or David, is the Space Jockey. I get the poetic irony of that - I do. It's clever, but clever isn't always the way to tell a story. Maybe we can thank Lindeloff for that, since we all know his schtick on "Lost" was to ask questions and answer them in ways that most of the audience wasn't satisfied with. I don't want them to M. Night Shyamalan the Alien universe. I don't want to walk out of the theater going, "OH SNAP! WE were the SPACE JOCKEYS!"

First Blood

Quote from: AmazSpiderMan1 on Mar 19, 2012, 10:01:41 PM
I don't want to walk out of the theater going, "OH SNAP! WE were the SPACE JOCKEYS!"

Yeah, I feel ya on that one. But it could be worst. Humans could have secretly knelt at the feet of Predators for hundreds of years.

Oh wait...

Infected

"Prometheus has landed"  that sounded so wrong.

David's accent "small thingzzz"

too much cgi

the snake thing.

the obvious of David becoming evil.

the same shaped derelict i mean do they come off an assembly line? ive seen amazing artwork that could do better then the same shape spaceship

This movie will probably gonna take 150 minutes. starting with Shaw and Holloway and there love crap. i think Prometheus will be in space after 45 minutes of film.

Plokoon111

Well the part about saying "Well the originals didn't have fancy screens and had pc monitors." Well actually they didn't have the ability to use flat screens. I'm sure if that was available back then, then films would of used it.

Cvalda

Quote from: Plokoon111 on Mar 19, 2012, 10:13:01 PM
Well the part about saying "Well the originals didn't have fancy screens and had pc monitors." Well actually they didn't have the ability to use flat screens. I'm sure if that was available back then, then films would of used it.
I know, but Ridley has already gone and made all the monitors onboard Prometheus have a somewhat low-res, throwback look. That's great! Now why spoil the continuity with these silly hologram monitors? :-\

tonyt2000

"QUIT GRIPING!!"  - Kane   "I LIKE GRIPING." - Lambert

Cvalda

Quote from: tonyt2000 on Mar 19, 2012, 10:15:05 PM
"QUIT GRIPING!!"  - Kane   "I LIKE GRIPING." - Lambert
You see what I did there ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed