Are you hoping for a Predator 5 movie

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Apr 12, 2020, 09:45:08 AM

Author
Are you hoping for a Predator 5 movie (Read 4,849 times)

RidleyScott99

I prefer a TV Series in HULU or Netflix.

Same with PROMETHEUS and ALIEN future.

Huggs

Anything but Netflix. They take forever putting things on Blu-ray, if they even release them on physical media at all.

RidleyScott99

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 21, 2020, 11:27:54 PM
Anything but Netflix. They take forever putting things on Blu-ray, if they even release them on physical media at all.

Just the sad reality. With COVID-19, Disney and others are losing Billions. Only Netflix was King in COVID-19 times.

bendinglight

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 21, 2020, 06:59:53 PM

Once you read the excellent Predator Hunters series and its back to basics approach, you realize the wonderful potential Predator still has cinematically, and the underlying fault doesn't exist in the concept or property but the 'talents they hire... I'm looking at you Black & Dekker.

Couldn't agree more - Black should be ashamed of the trash he put together.

I feel that Predator has so much potential to expand upon the universe into other areas (Korean War/Iraq War/1718/etc.). There are so many possibilities that could be explored but it seems that Fox had tunnel vision (hopefully Disney doesn't fall into that same route) on sticking with the jungle or city, imo. The writing has been abysmal and really should require a writer that can build solid characters that we care about while adhering to a solid setting that will engage viewers throughout the film (easier said than done, of course).

Voodoo Magic

Gr33n M4n

A Predator movie set in the colonial period of Australia would be cool.

irn

irn

Quote from: bendinglight on Apr 22, 2020, 01:24:46 AM
I feel that Predator has so much potential to expand upon the universe into other areas (Korean War/Iraq War/1718/etc.).

This is what I mean when I say the story has nowhere to go. Most ideas are just take the same plot and transplant the setting. As cool as some of these seem in theory, I think they only work in the medium of comic books or games. As films the novelty would wear off in minutes as it is just essentially what you've seen before but with new people and location. I'm not saying a great story isn't out there, but I've yet to read one.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: irn on Apr 22, 2020, 02:11:06 PM
This is what I mean when I say the story has nowhere to go. Most ideas are just take the same plot and transplant the setting. As cool as some of these seem in theory, I think they only work in the medium of comic books or games. As films the novelty would wear off in minutes as it is just essentially what you've seen before but with new people and location. I'm not saying a great story isn't out there, but I've yet to read one.

So what did you read?

Basically I say... welcome to Alien and Predator movies.  I mean to get away from the "cooked" beast, Ridley resorted to focusing on Engineers, Androids and Black Goo... yet fans all seemed to gravitate more to the Alien Tongul shorts.

With new installments to horror and slasher films, there is always going to be some extent of repetitiveness and familiarity. But there is still a way to make them good nevertheless. I mean how many cop hunting killer movies have we seen?  How many James Bond movies do we enjoy? However redundant, if it's well made, it will be well liked regardless.

SuperiorIronman

Slasher movies by their very nature are redundant. A repeat killer arrives and the hero must stop them. That's really the whole idea but what gives a franchise longevity is how it goes about it.

Nobody goes to a slasher movie for anything more than two things;

1.) They want to be scared
2.) They want to see some cool kills

The first one inherently stops becoming relevant as time goes on because there is only so many times you can see someone like Freddy Kruger before they stop becoming scary and start being a pop-culture icon. What I mean is that while the characters begin in horror, we all know who Freddy Kruger is and we're less concerned with being scared so much as being entertained with the kills. Outside the killer that's what sells a slasher movie.  That's what sells a longstanding horror movie franchise or character. It's less about the horror or the overall concept so much as "can it remain entertaining". That's ultimately what it boils down to because audiences come to a theater to be entertained and no matter how a franchise began, if the audience isn't pleased it wont come back for the next one. You don't need to reinvent the wheel you just need to keep it entertaining to the masses.

If they did an Archie versus Predator film tomorrow we would all bitch but if it turned out to be good it wouldn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's another Predator film, if the change led to a good film it doesn't matter that it's another Predator or that it hung out in Riverdale. If the audience is entertained it does its job.

bendinglight

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 22, 2020, 02:33:42 PM

So what did you read?

Basically I say... welcome to Alien and Predator movies.  I mean to get away from the "cooked" beast, Ridley resorted to focusing on Engineers, Androids and Black Goo... yet fans all seemed to gravitate more to the Alien Tongul shorts.

With new installments to horror and slasher films, there is always going to be some extent of repetitiveness and familiarity. But there is still a way to make them good nevertheless. I mean how many cop hunting killer movies have we seen?  How many James Bond movies do we enjoy? However redundant, if it's well made, it will be well liked regardless.

Right back at ya!
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 22, 2020, 02:00:45 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS95QGob-Si6nbGQLXD3x47U9i1psB9UAJnLvmgL3P6uNOJ1P0S&usqp=CAU

Wysps

Even with the basic premise being repetitive, they can still inject freshness into the franchise by doing a number of things that don't necessarily change the "hunt - be hunted dynamic" of the movies.

For instance, they could show more dynamic and interactions between the Predators themselves, or between Predators and humans (Galgo and Ahab), they could give us modest insight into their culture, or their world/animals (like in Predators). It's an entire species that we honestly haven't been shown much of, save for some cool tech and what's been eluded to in the comics or novels. Sure, delving into this could potentially spoil the "mystery" for those that care, but that doesn't mean that these options don't exist to keep things interesting moving forward.

RidleyScott99

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 22, 2020, 03:13:29 PM
Slasher movies by their very nature are redundant. A repeat killer arrives and the hero must stop them. That's really the whole idea but what gives a franchise longevity is how it goes about it.

Nobody goes to a slasher movie for anything more than two things;

1.) They want to be scared
2.) They want to see some cool kills

The first one inherently stops becoming relevant as time goes on because there is only so many times you can see someone like Freddy Kruger before they stop becoming scary and start being a pop-culture icon. What I mean is that while the characters begin in horror, we all know who Freddy Kruger is and we're less concerned with being scared so much as being entertained with the kills. Outside the killer that's what sells a slasher movie.  That's what sells a longstanding horror movie franchise or character. It's less about the horror or the overall concept so much as "can it remain entertaining". That's ultimately what it boils down to because audiences come to a theater to be entertained and no matter how a franchise began, if the audience isn't pleased it wont come back for the next one. You don't need to reinvent the wheel you just need to keep it entertaining to the masses.

If they did an Archie versus Predator film tomorrow we would all bitch but if it turned out to be good it wouldn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's another Predator film, if the change led to a good film it doesn't matter that it's another Predator or that it hung out in Riverdale. If the audience is entertained it does its job.

This is true BUT I think ALIEN franchise ISN'T slasher. The first ALIEN(1979) felt more like a very modern thriller and Ridley Scott said that too. And PROMETHEUS was more like an Epic film with a huge budget.

Huggs

Thriller may be a bit of a misclassification.

RidleyScott99

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 23, 2020, 12:12:26 AM
Thriller may be a bit of a misclassification.

Suspense. ALIEN(1979) felt like a Hitchcock masterpiece too. Ridley Scott said something along those lines long time ago.

SiL

SiL

Ridley Scott said he was trying to make The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in space.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed