'Xenos vs. Marines' Trailer

Started by Space Sweeper, Aug 06, 2012, 07:07:23 AM

Author
'Xenos vs. Marines' Trailer (Read 56,872 times)

delsaber8

delsaber8

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 06, 2012, 09:32:54 PM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Aug 06, 2012, 05:30:28 PM
The pulserifle sound in the movie is actually terrible to listen to. Its tinny and high end and meant for the mix of a 1986 movie. If you actually had it in your hand and recorded it today (not 1986 ) it would sound quiet different. Stop this nonsense.

It's an extremely signature sound, man.
Out of all the things they can mess up or change a bit this isnt one of them. Specially when you are going to be listening to it constantly.
The real pulse rifle sound, was used in AVP2 and it worked quite well. I really have to agree, it is such an iconic sound and like you said you'll be hearing it an awful lot, so they best get it right. I also heard somewhere that you get the real pulse rifle sound after you upgrade it, but I heard that on this forum, so really I don't know anything for sure.

bov930527

bov930527

Quote from: delsaber8 on Aug 06, 2012, 09:59:52 PM
Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 06, 2012, 09:32:54 PM
The pulserifle sound in the movie is actually terrible to listen to. Its tinny and high end and meant for the mix of a 1986 movie. If you actually had it in your hand and recorded it today (not 1986 ) it would sound quiet different. Stop this nonsense.

It's an extremely signature sound, man.
Out of all the things they can mess up or change a bit this isnt one of them. Specially when you are going to be listening to it constantly.
The real pulse rifle sound, was used in AVP2 and it worked quite well. I really have to agree, it is such an iconic sound and like you said you'll be hearing it an awful lot, so they best get it right. I also heard somewhere that you get the real pulse rifle sound after you upgrade it, but I heard that on this forum, so really I don't know anything for sure.

Whoa-whoa, slow down... Will it be possible to upgrade weapons in this game? So it's not just like all the other avp's, half-life and whatnot?

On topic, I too find the original sound of PR so iconic that the game claiming to be a "true" sequel to Cameron's "Aliens" simply must have it.

SM

SM

:laugh:

It's a sound effect.  If that's the sound Jim liked for the gun it would sound identical today to what it did in 1986.

Sexy Poot

Sexy Poot

So now there are the aliens from the new terrible comics with blades on the sides of their faces and the others are AvP aliens with a couple of lines running down their heads. Great. And yes, that is the AvP warrior in the concept art. Clearly ripped or at least inspired. Authentic my sweet white ass.

delsaber8

delsaber8

Quote from: Sexy Poot on Aug 06, 2012, 10:27:47 PM
So now there are the aliens from the new terrible comics with blades on the sides of their faces and the others are AvP aliens with a couple of lines running down their heads. Great. And yes, that is the AvP warrior in the concept art. Clearly ripped or at least inspired. Authentic my sweet white ass.

Don't they know the AVP and Rez designs were the worst.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Pitchford demands authenticity dammit!

And stuff

And stuff

Bingo.

I always thought one of the worst parts of Aliens was the sound of the alien screeches and weapon fire (both rifles and handguns).  For being such a classic movie, the sound effects are terrible.

Edit:
Quote from: SM on Aug 06, 2012, 10:07:18 PM

:laugh:

It's a sound effect.  If that's the sound Jim liked for the gun it would sound identical today to what it did in 1986.

No, not at all actually.  Audio technology has come a long way since the 80s.

SM

SM

And yet people complained when the same guns in Alien3 didn't sound like the ones in Aliens.

And stuff

And stuff

I think a happy medium between quality sfx and authenticity is what GB should be striving for.  It can still be "authentic" and sound good in this day and age.  Doesn't have to sound like a sample from the 80s to trigger the warm fuzzies.

SM

SM

It does when it's really cool sound effect.  All this "its from teh 80s lol" stuff is just bullshit.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I just find it funny how until now people are starting to hate on the Sound Effects from Aliens. Such crap.

SM

SM

Quite mindboggling really.

And stuff

And stuff

Quote from: SM on Aug 06, 2012, 11:02:26 PM
It does when it's really cool sound effect.  All this "its from teh 80s lol" stuff is just bullshit.

Being a soundboard tech, it's my job to over-analyze sounds.  It's only bullshit if you don't mind ignoring logic.  There's a huge difference between the technology we have today vs. what we had back then, and it seems really, really obvious to some of us.  I don't need my trained ear to know that.

That said, I haven't heard the pulse rifle sfx in ACM yet, but there's nothing wrong with expecting quality with your authenticity.  I'd be pretty disappointed if ACM's Giger's alien moved as clunky as it did in the first film...

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

But THAT's how it's supposed to sound in the future that ALIENS takes place in. It doesn't matter how the quality sounds like if it were done today. It sounds the way it sounds, and that's the way it should be. An iconic sound effect should not be messed around with, it's the Pulse Rifle's signature sound, how can anyone possibly actually want anything different?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

"Hives of Aliens conceivably have different types of Aliens working together - and maybe in the films we didn't see all the types. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)"

Reminds me a little of when you said...

"I don't know if you've played 'Duke Nukem Forever'. It's awesome. And it occurred to me, the pacing was exactly like 'Half-Life 2'[...] It's almost identical, beat for beat, in terms of its gameplay pacing, to 'Half-Life'."

Pitchford, instead of being 'inspired' to come up with lots of different creature variations for no practical reason, just spend time on getting the basic ones right. I'm sure the people fighting to their collective deaths in Stalingrad didn't feel bored, just because the enemy were hurling the same infantry at them. If you, as a writer/artist director/whatever, can't make the situations and environments alarming enough to keep the viewer's interest riveted, then maybe you need to take a look at why that is, not replace one set of enemies with others of a slightly different shape and statistical values.

Quote from: SM on Aug 06, 2012, 07:19:54 AM
And those shots of Picthford and Neuman putting their glasses on screams "WANK!"

That and the 'computer text' stuff alongside it is so horridly cringe-worthy...

QuoteIt does when it's really cool sound effect.  All this "its from teh 80s lol" stuff is just bullshit.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. A motto Gearbox seems to have been happy to gloss over, from what I've seen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed