Future AVP stories and the Alien prequels

Started by EJA, May 23, 2020, 09:46:17 PM

Author
Future AVP stories and the Alien prequels (Read 3,002 times)

SpaceKase

Quote from: SiL on May 24, 2020, 09:19:38 AM
Is the attitude really necessary?

I assure you friend, sincerely, I'm offering no attitude, I firmly believe that your perspective is a valid part of the whole, and you should embrace what you love about it. It's all the different perspectives that create the fandom, and yours is as much an integral part of that fandom as mine is. You're awesome man, I am genuinely this hippy-dippy of both a person and a nerd.

426Buddy

I dunno Sil. These are movies and they can hand wave what ever they want. Movies arent bound by rules of continuity, if Ridley can turn around and make the space jockey a blue bald guy then he can change David as the creator.

Does it mean it will happen? Im sure it won't. But to act like its not possible is like acting like there can't be an egg on the Sulaco. :laugh:

All I know is that if Riddles makes another he'll do whatever he wants without much thought for continuity or adhering to anything previously established.

SiL

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 24, 2020, 11:25:58 AM
I dunno Sil. These are movies and they can hand wave what ever they want.
Absolutely.

If the next film comes out and walks through how David was full of shit, great.

But that film doesn't exist yet, and saying Covenant doesn't say what it went out of its way to say is not a great argument for people to keep making.

Voodoo Magic

Posted for posterity.  :)

Quote from: EJA on May 24, 2020, 08:58:46 AM
All we saw in The Predator was a spear that just happened to look like the one from AVP. It doesn't mean that film counts. The same goes for the skull in Predator 2; it wasn't really an Alien, it just happened to strongly resemble one.

Unless people in or involved with the film say the AvP movies count, which they did.   :P

Quote from: SiL on May 24, 2020, 11:44:03 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on May 24, 2020, 11:25:58 AM
I dunno Sil. These are movies and they can hand wave what ever they want.
Absolutely.

If the next film comes out and walks through how David was full of shit, great.

But that film doesn't exist yet, and saying Covenant doesn't say what it went out of its way to say is not a great argument for people to keep making.

That's it in a nutshell.

426Buddy

Maybe I missed it but is anyone saying that the film doesnt say David created the Alien? I think thats acknowledged. I think the point is that its easy to walk it back in the next film and still make it work thematically. David realising that he actually still can't create and this belief that he can be god is just him malfunctioning would work imo. He thought he made the alien randomly but his AI was just using data it already had learned from the engineers.

Sure Covenant says David created the Alien but I totally understand that people are looking for a u-turn on the idea in the next film if there ever is one.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: EJA on May 24, 2020, 08:58:46 AM
All we saw in The Predator was a spear that just happened to look like the one from AVP. It doesn't mean that film counts. The same goes for the skull in Predator 2; it wasn't really an Alien, it just happened to strongly resemble one.

It's meant to be them. Unless something changed the Predator film franchise counts the crossovers, and the cameos of the skull and spear which are meant to be reflective of Aliens in the universe. The Neca backstories are also supposed to be canonical and they also mention them hunting the Xenomorphs.

As it stands the ancient Xenomorph just strongly resembles the versions set in the future but both are meant to be Xenomorph.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 24, 2020, 01:42:13 PM
Maybe I missed it but is anyone saying that the film doesnt say David created the Alien?

But the mural!  ;D

QuoteI think thats acknowledged. I think the point is that its easy to walk it back in the next film and still make it work thematically. David realising that he actually still can't create and this belief that he can be god is just him malfunctioning would work imo. He thought he made the alien randomly but his AI was just using data it already had learned from the engineers.

Sure Covenant says David created the Alien but I totally understand that people are looking for a u-turn on the idea in the next film if there ever is one.

Anything can be changed, altered, retconned, yes. But some still challenge what is, versus what can become.  :)

EJA

I think what Ridley Scott says in his films carries more weight than what the makers of The Predator think about AVP.

Anyway, getting back to the original question, should a future AVP story depict their first encounter in the era of the Alien movies?

426Buddy

Quote from: EJA on May 24, 2020, 02:51:06 PM
I think what Ridley Scott says in his films carries more weight than what the makers of The Predator think about AVP.

Considering Scott contradicts himself and breaks his own continuity from film to film, I find this amusing.

EJA

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 24, 2020, 02:53:27 PM

Considering Scott contradicts himself and breaks his own continuity from film to film, I find this amusing.

Hmmm....No disrespect, but I'm not so sure he does.

Voodoo Magic

Ah, and this is what we use to justify personal opinion over actuality, because - desire.

Indeed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

426Buddy

Quote from: EJA on May 24, 2020, 02:59:56 PM

Do you think Scott intended the space jockeys to be engineers when he made alien? Do you think face hugger impregnation was instantaneous when he made alien? Do you think he believed david made the alien when he created prometheus?  Do you think the Alien and the Space jockey were recent developments on LV426 when he made alien?

Scott very obviously has no issues  breaking established lore (lore even established by his own films) when he has a new idea. Come on man its not even debatable.

Immortan Jonesy

Dear Scott's lawyers, sorry not sorry; but it's enough. I mean, we are just having fun here. Why do you want to destroy us? Just let us to discuss about that hypothetical movie, which even though it doesn't exist yet, shows us that David is full of shit. You can join us on this amazing journey if you want. May the peace be with you! always ^^

☺✌🙏💙✨🕊🌸🌼☀🌈✨🧝‍♀️🥳🍪💟☮️☯️

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 24, 2020, 07:55:37 PM
Dear Scott's lawyers, sorry not sorry; but it's enough. I mean, we are just having fun here. Why do you want to destroy us? Just let us to discuss about that hypothetical movie, which even though it doesn't exist yet, shows us that David is full of shit. You can join us on this amazing journey if you want. May the peace be with you! always ^^

But are we talking hypothetical movies? Or responding to statements like "The Predator was a spear that just happened to look like the one from AVP. It doesn't mean that film counts" and "There's nothing in the film Covenant that precludes the existence of human bred xenomorphs on any other planet or in any time prior to David's experiments on Planet 4"?

SM

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 24, 2020, 03:05:45 PM
Quote from: EJA on May 24, 2020, 02:59:56 PM

Do you think Scott intended the space jockeys to be engineers when he made alien? Do you think face hugger impregnation was instantaneous when he made alien? Do you think he believed david made the alien when he created prometheus?  Do you think the Alien and the Space jockey were recent developments on LV426 when he made alien?

Scott very obviously has no issues  breaking established lore (lore even established by his own films) when he has a new idea. Come on man its not even debatable.

The only one of these that was established on film was the facehugger one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed