Where would you hide on Hadleys Hope?

Started by [BAM] Yojimbo, Mar 07, 2016, 12:41:21 PM

Author
Where would you hide on Hadleys Hope? (Read 3,479 times)

[BAM] Yojimbo

Since people seemed to like the other thread, I thought why the hell not!

Please post your prefered spot however there is only ONE rule.  You cannot do a newt and hide in the tunnels, as you are too old, large, fat, big.

My spot be the buggy they take out to investigate the derelict with in the directors cut, upon hearing aliens breaking lose and killing people I'd silently load up the buggy with as much supplies as I could, take a couple of my loved ones and sneak out the back door, drive away somewhere distant overwatching the colony then wait for rescue!

Corporal Hicks

I'd drive away and head to one of the other atmospheric processors not mentioned in the film.  :P

swarm87

Id probably hide in the fallout shelter what was built in case there was ever an emergency with the processor(assuming they were smart enough to build one), weld the door and wait for rescue

most likely my crazy great great uncle showed me a bunch of late 20th century early 21st scifi and horror movies and I would not even be on the planet in the first place :D

windebieste

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 07, 2016, 12:56:24 PM
I'd drive away and head to one of the other atmospheric processors not mentioned in the film.  :P

This, basically.  It's a whole planet to explore.  Hadley's Hope would have to have outposts, seismic and weather monitoring stations at the very least.  Just to think that people would sit on one site is just dumb. 

Also, for a colony that's 20 years old, its population is ridiculously small.  Only 158 people.  Really?  There should be a population of thousands there after such initial set up has taken place.  'Building Better Worlds', less than 200 people can do it.  lol.

So yes.  There would have to be other colony stations, outposts maybe even settlements.  Flee to one of those.

-Windebieste.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Hang out with the 12 year old kids... oh no wait that sounds disturbing, I didn't mean it that way. :P But yea head somewhere the aliens aren't. However Newt did mention that they moestly come out at night, moeslty. So I doubt you'd be any safer elsewhere. Also you have to figure the best place to hide is any where you can secure food and supplies.

Actually now that I think about it, perhaps the reason the place was dead when the marines arrived was because the aliens sleep during the day. If they arrived at night I bet the night life would have been xeno-rific.

pred169

pred169

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 07, 2016, 10:08:21 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 07, 2016, 12:56:24 PM

This, basically.  It's a whole planet to explore.  Hadley's Hope would have to have outposts, seismic and weather monitoring stations at the very least.  Just to think that people would sit on one site is just dumb. 

Also, for a colony that's 20 years old, its population is ridiculously small.  Only 158 people.  Really?  There should be a population of thousands there after such initial set up has taken place.  'Building Better Worlds', less than 200 people can do it.  lol.

So yes.  There would have to be other colony stations, outposts maybe even settlements.  Flee to one of those.

-Windebieste.
I agree with you but pose the question.. could the reason there was such a limited amount of people be that it was only a custodial group? Graveyard shift if you will.

Just a thought I had.

I would grab water, food, fuel, a portable terminal, and whatever weapons I could lay hands on. I'd head to the garage get in some type of transport and go wait it out a few miles from the site. I'd wait for a couple of days then go to the closest beacon and send out a distress signal. But I'd earmark the closest food source in case it takes a few weeks. In the meantime I'd definitely stay mobile and I wouldn't camp in the same spot. I'd probably camp out several miles away from a previous campout spot. Just to stay off the radar and reduce the chance of detection. Predictability is by far the best killer in the world.

windebieste

Quote from: pred169 on Mar 08, 2016, 10:08:28 PMcould the reason there was such a limited amount of people be that it was only a custodial group? Graveyard shift if you will. Just a thought I had.

Some fans will put forth the idea that the colony was solely set up to discover the derelict and it the population doesn't need to be more sustainable until  the derelict was discovered.  Which is fine - up to a point.

In which case, if the colony was planned to become infected by WY, why send in the marines?  Wouldn't a research and observation plan be better suited to the long term goals rather than a search for survivors rescue mission?  Maybe Ripley's arrival at Gateway threw a spanner in the works...  Who knows?  It's all speculation at this point; but all of a sudden all the justifications become more convoluted and complex.  The background for the colony is set up for the critical elements of the narrative to take the course they did without too much close scrutiny for its existence.

Really, if it takes 17 days for the marines to expect a rescue, then any genuine Colonial ambition on part of WY would be shuttling bus loads of colonists to Acheron at least once a month.  After a decade, the location should be a bustling community of thousands of people assisting in the terraforming of the planet.  As it stands, the size of the colony only serves the story Cameron presents to us without any greater exploration of its purpose.

-Windebieste.

JungleHunter87

I'd probably take one of those vehicles newt's parents used. Moving away from the colony at night and sleeping in it near some other Atmo. Processor. During the day I'd return to the colony for food, supplies and gas. Also to see if a rescue team had shown up.

pred169

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 08, 2016, 11:18:17 PM
Quote from: pred169 on Mar 08, 2016, 10:08:28 PMcould the reason there was such a limited amount of people be that it was only a custodial group? Graveyard shift if you will. Just a thought I had.

Some fans will put forth the idea that the colony was solely set up to discover the derelict and it the population doesn't need to be more sustainable until  the derelict was discovered.  Which is fine - up to a point.

In which case, if the colony was planned to become infected by WY, why send in the marines?  Wouldn't a research and observation plan be better suited to the long term goals rather than a search for survivors rescue mission?  Maybe Ripley's arrival at Gateway threw a spanner in the works...  Who knows?  It's all speculation at this point; but all of a sudden all the justifications become more convoluted and complex.  The background for the colony is set up for the critical elements of the narrative to take the course they did without too much close scrutiny for its existence.

Really, if it takes 17 days for the marines to expect a rescue, then any genuine Colonial ambition on part of WY would be shuttling bus loads of colonists to Acheron at least once a month.  After a decade, the location should be a bustling community of thousands of people assisting in the terraforming of the planet.  As it stands, the size of the colony only serves the story Cameron presents to us without any greater exploration of its purpose.

-Windebieste.

That's kind of what I was thinking was a shuttle system. But I'm looking at it from an operational standpoint. As we see in multiple plants in the world. You have certain times where there is a skeleton crew in place. Whether it be for a maintenance shutdown or just a cooldown cycle. Or perhaps it could even be environment related. Like certain areas or the world today that have to slow production due to a rainy season or winter season or sandstorms or whatever the case may be.
  Obviously this is a stretch I'm just trying to make sense of there being only a limited number of colonists. I know its a moot plot point and wasn't intended to be examined in detail but I'd like to think there was a logical reason for the limited colonists. Skeleton crew is the most logical thing I could come up with. Plus...we pick apart every other detail in the movie... why not this. [emoji1]

And you asked the question "why send marines?" That's an easy one to answer. IF.. and its a big if.. if they sent them their to become infected, the company would have to prove there was no malice intended. And that they did everything in their power to help the colonist. If they sent marines that pretty much takes away any ideas of corporate sabotage.
The science division would already know the marines can't contain the outbreak but ICC wouldn't know that. So they get more specimens to study and the suspicion is lifted. And.... who's to say they didn't already have a science team en route secretly?
   Now with that being said I don't feel the company built the processor and limited the amount of staff with the intent of infecting everyone. I subscribe to the idea that a sect within the company sent the coordinates of the derelict only after the flight recorder from the nostromo was found. I also feel that they had no idea of the gestation rate and were not planning on the survey crew returning to the facility. I feel like the intent was to have one maybe two specimens to capture and study. And that when the crew returned to the facility things got out of hand and the colonists just weren't prepared to handle this kind of situation. The one gestated alien emerged and started collecting colonists one at a time and took them to a makeshift hive where it had been moving the surviving eggs from the derelict. Including a queen. The colonists were then cocooned for implantation. Before they knew it there were teens of aliens, then twenties, then thirties, and so on until they whole colony was impregnated. I feel that once the first few emerged that's when coms went down and that would have given the aliens plenty of time to gestate before marine arrival.   

426Buddy

They seem imply that the atmosphere processors are largely automated, also it probably took a while for the terraforming process to get to the point it was in aliens, which it was still crappy and bleak. Would be hard to get people to volunteer to live on that rock until the terraforming was further along. Until then you just need 60-70 families to maintain the the place.

Interesting to think about WY using engineer tech to create the atmosphere processors like what was suggested in spaights promy script.

[BAM] Yojimbo

How about that maintenance tunnel bishop was crawling in? :D

Anyone else remember in the draft script while bishop was shimmying along that tunnel there was a gap in the wall with an alien on the otherside!

How SCARY would that of been!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 07, 2016, 10:08:21 PM

The long-term prospect for LV-426 was mining. Most of it would likely have been automated, so no need for a large population in order to maintain it.

And as Buddy mentioned, it was a shithole, people were never going to flock to it in droves.

QuoteSo yes.  There would have to be other colony stations, outposts maybe even settlements.  Flee to one of those.

No mention of anything like that (apart from other atmospheric processors) in the script, film or novel. Anyway, if there were other manned settlements/outposts they could just have sent in an investigation party from one of those to look into the matter of the lost comms at Hadley's Hope.

Xenoscream

I think we've had this topic once before - my answer is pretty simple; gather supplies (just like Newt did), jump in one of those tractors and drive out to the middle of nowhere and wait for help. We know the tractors have radios so checking the radio on a daily basis should hopefully get you in contact with the marines when they arrive.

I can't see there are any safe places in the colony itself apart from the very small vents where Newt managed to hide, which would obviously be a bit small for me!

ericbah

I would  make a sled   to  drag  as much rations  and other needed supplies  as i could, keep  a radio  for when i hear/ see  a ship land then  go as far as i could while being close enough to contact  a search party.. i would also  keep a homemade poison  or  weapon with me in case im discovered  i   could control my destiny

Munkeywrench

I'd load up a colony tractor with supplies, food, a radio, and whatever else needed to survive and possibly any survivors. Then I'd head out to the derelict and we would camp out in the pilots chamber until help arrives. I figure it's a relatively safe area as long as everyone stays away from the eggs and assuming the aliens don't travel that far from the hive.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed