"Yautja"; what was the general fan response to the name?

Started by Thomas H., Jun 06, 2016, 06:52:09 PM

Author
"Yautja"; what was the general fan response to the name? (Read 1,792 times)

Thomas H.

I've only very recently gotten into the comics, and when I first heard of the name Yautja being used in a novelization of the first AvP comic, I wondered how fans reacted.
Was it quickly accepted? Is it mostly hated? Is it a controversy?

RakaiThwei

From how I've seen it... it's been pretty divisive.

Some fans like, some fans don't... So as far as I am aware, it's been split down the middle.

Kaltes

I thought it was strange the first time I read it, but it grew on me.

The Alien Predator

I freaking love it.

It is also used in the new novels.

WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE

There's a death metal/grindcore band from Nashville that really liked the name too. https://yautja.bandcamp.com/

The Alien Predator

Also a spider genus called "Predatoroonops" with one of the species having "Yautja" in its name.

Corporal Hicks

I think I was really into and curious about the culture when I was new to the fandom but over time I've found I don't actually like it any more. I prefer my Predators as sadistic hunters with no code of honor.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 07, 2016, 09:01:04 AM
I think I was really into and curious about the culture when I was new to the fandom but over time I've found I don't actually like it any more. I prefer my Predators as sadistic hunters with no code of honor.

I am starting to prefer the cruel and sadistic angle too.

In fact, I like how a character in Incursion says their honour is just an excuse to kill innocent sapient beings.

Obviously they all have individual personalities and clan customs, but as a species they are cruel and brutal.

overthere

Seems alien enough to be plausible, but I have no idea how to pronounce it.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: overthere on Jun 07, 2016, 02:03:13 PM
Seems alien enough to be plausible, but I have no idea how to pronounce it.

According to Steve Perry.

"Ya-oot-cha"

Thomas H.

According to Xenopedia it's 'E-Wat-Ja'. Doesn't make sense though. Ya-oot-cha sounds more plausible.

I am into the concept of the honorcode, instead of the sadistic hunters, but I also like the idea there are several kinds of Predators. Although I refuse to see them as 'Super-Predators', the new breed we saw in Predators come across to me as sadistic murderers, while creators like the Jungle Hunter, Scar and Wolf seem to follow a code of conduct. And to me, that makes sense. Look at Earth. Not at all humans follow the same set of rules when it coes to values. Why would an alien race?

As for the name..... I'm not sure yet. It makes perfect sense for an alien race to have name of its own. But, Predator has been a name for me for so long, I'm not sure anything else can replace that.

overthere

I like the fact they have some sort of rules, but those rules should only be self imposed to make the hunt more fun or more of a challenge. If they have a moral code, that makes them too human.

RakaiThwei

Personally, I am not into the whole sadistic killer angle which a lot of fans seem to want and push for... I definitely prefer the honor aspect of the Predators as to me, it makes them more than just your ravenous, mindless violence machines. They're Hunters, and in hunting there are rules. Now, some people say the whole honor thing makes them glorified space samurais, but even samurais were known to be ASSHOLES. The same applies to Predators, though in this case, I'd think that most of them are just that.. assholes. But even assholes follow rules, but some.. are more by the book than others.

Kaltes

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 07, 2016, 06:22:30 PM
Personally, I am not into the whole sadistic killer angle which a lot of fans seem to want and push for... I definitely prefer the honor aspect of the Predators as to me, it makes them more than just your ravenous, mindless violence machines. They're Hunters, and in hunting there are rules. Now, some people say the whole honor thing makes them glorified space samurais, but even samurais were known to be ASSHOLES. The same applies to Predators, though in this case, I'd think that most of them are just that.. assholes. But even assholes follow rules, but some.. are more by the book than others.

I agree. Though I have to admit I do like the name Hish-qu-Ten as well. (I haven't read the Hish books, not sure if I want to either)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kaltes on Jun 08, 2016, 05:03:21 AM
I agree. Though I have to admit I do like the name Hish-qu-Ten as well. (I haven't read the Hish books, not sure if I want to either)

Eeeeeeeeh.... the Hish continuity Predators were more or less... different. And it was in a way which I personally didn't appreciate, neither did many Yautja fans either if I recall correctly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed