Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 283,734 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

You see that's not good kind of cgi. That's I-want-to-puke-on-innocent-bystanders kind of cgi.

King Rathalos

Would that happen to be face melting acidic puke?

I swear it looks like concept art made on photoshop that was turned into a moving image...

Sabby

There. A computer generated dinosaur :3 Is this repentance?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: King Rathalos on Sep 05, 2013, 02:12:17 PM
Remember what happened when I watched Starship Troopers 2?

Like that. Not as destructive, though.

King Rathalos

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 05, 2013, 02:14:30 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8TFPAHN4qf4/Ts-gQ71-oMI/AAAAAAAAeq0/x-3dXFg0hfc/w506-h406/Dinosaur%2Bvs%2BCaveman%2BStory.gif

There. A computer generated dinosaur :3 Is this repentance?

NO!

HOW ABOUT A MOTHERf**kIN' T-REX BITCH

Quote from: Omegazilla on Sep 05, 2013, 02:18:12 PM
Quote from: King Rathalos on Sep 05, 2013, 02:12:17 PM
Remember what happened when I watched Starship Troopers 2?

Like that. Not as destructive, though.

Oh.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

(I still cannot tell whether it's CGI or an animatronic with a perfectly erased rig and wires)

King Rathalos

Quote from: Omegazilla on Sep 05, 2013, 02:29:18 PM

That is the best part of the movie and it's only a 1 second shot... :'(

Dat light reflecting on the Raptors scales though...f**k that is awesome. :o

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: King Rathalos on Sep 05, 2013, 02:32:08 PM
Dat light reflecting on the Raptors scales though...f**k that is awesome. :o
Yeah broman. I love that.

Vertigo

I think the usual problem with CGI is the way the scenes are directed, rather than the effect itself. There's a tendency to show CG entities making ridiculous moves in-frame, such as moving from a distance to inches from the camera at great speed - no real entity would ever be filmed in such a way and it creates an instant disconnect.

When you look at Jurassic Park's CG, which is still considered a benchmark despite being an early example, the creatures are almost always seen at a reasonable distance. On the rare occasions they're filmed up close, they're moving at a naturalistic rate in relation to the camera. You still have the sense that they're filming something real, because it's done in the way that you would film something real.

Sabby

Quote from: Vertigo on Sep 05, 2013, 04:00:55 PM
I think the usual problem with CGI is the way the scenes are directed, rather than the effect itself. There's a tendency to show CG entities making ridiculous moves in-frame, such as moving from a distance to inches from the camera at great speed - no real entity would ever be filmed in such a way and it creates an instant disconnect.

When you look at Jurassic Park's CG, which is still considered a benchmark despite being an early example, the creatures are almost always seen at a reasonable distance. On the rare occasions they're filmed up close, they're moving at a naturalistic rate in relation to the camera. You still have the sense that they're filming something real, because it's done in the way that you would film something real.

I tried for about an hour to type up why Jurassic Parks CGI looks real to me when almost every other example doesn't, and I think you've done a better job then I could have. Totally agree.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Sep 05, 2013, 04:00:55 PM

I think it's also worth mentioning, since you said that and someone posted the GIF from World War Z, the zombies in that film look way better than that image gives them credit for. In the scene in the disease freezer when Brad Pitt is confronted by a zombie, it actually looked quite real.

Greedo

We all just got to admitt that both CGI and Animatronics work best in different ways.

But on the other hand people might argue Animatronics look better in close ups than they do in CGI.

Gilfryd

I'll be the tokusatsu geek and say some of those movies and shows don't strive towards realism. They're not hiding anything exactly. Sometimes Eiji Tsuburaya would use a model or miniature when it wasn't necessary because he thought it would be more fun. I think that's lost on most Western viewers.

DoomRulz

Meh, the heck with just CGI or just practical effects. I miss good old-fashioned stop-motion.

Greedo

I have always apprecied A L I E N because there was no CGI done with the Xeno an for some reason it made me feel like it was like for REAL.

CGI on the other hand though, does not.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed