Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 09, 2021, 03:26:43 PM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All (Read 95,657 times)

molasar

molasar

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 17, 2021, 04:25:12 PM
There isnt anything wrong with AI'S gameplay in the slightest. This is all just a manner of personal opinion. What limited its sales was simply the type of game it was trying to be. The game plays perfectly fine.

A better version of Colonial Marines would always outsell something like Isolation because that type of game appeals much more to the wider demographic of the modern gamer. Isolation does not. It's much more niche. The same would be said if they made another fixed camera RE game. Hardcore RE fans would lap it up, the average gamer would not. And again, that is a testament to Creative Assembly taking that risk with Isolation.

Isolation has its faults as most games do, but suggesting the gameplay is poor is completely baseless.

Actually it is. This is the main reason that it did not sell well. And nowhere I said that gameplay is broken. It just unappealing. That is why you do not see any games that are advertised based on such gameplay mechanics and loop.

Yes, shooters are more attractive than games with niche mechanics. That are niche for a reason of being not very enjoyable on its own. Even MGSV games (better stealth and hide mechanics than A:Iso) were less attractive if not for shooting mechanics.

I would not lap up another RE game with fixed camera as a hardcore RE fan. Especially without checking its aesthetic design and info about refinement of its gameplay loop.

Yes, A:Iso gameplay is poor, i.e., unappealing.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

If Alien Isolation was in third person it would not be scary at all. Having to use your sight while risking being seen by the alien is great, it's part of the design of the gameplay, which is good by itself, I don't get this argument, the game is meant to make you be smart and stealthy, if you want piss easy stealth game that tells you what you need from a mile away, you can play Metal Gear

Quote from: molasar on Aug 17, 2021, 05:06:48 PM

Actually it is. This is the main reason that it did not sell well. And nowhere I said that gameplay is broken. It just unappealing. That is why you do not see any games that are advertised based on such gameplay mechanics and loop.

Yes, shooters are more attractive than games with niche mechanics. That are niche for a reason of being not very enjoyable on its own. Even MGSV games (better stealth and hide mechanics than A:Iso) were less attractive if not for shooting mechanics.

I would not lap up another RE game with fixed camera as a hardcore RE fan. Especially without checking its aesthetic design and info about refinement of its gameplay loop.

Yes, A:Iso gameplay is poor, i.e., unappealing.
The reason why it didn't sell well is because it came right after Colonial Marines, a game that to this day haunts this franchise. It also got bad reviews by channels that straight up lied about it like IGN and Red Letter Media, the game's poor sales are not a result of it's quality, but place and time.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Hemi on Aug 17, 2021, 05:01:36 PM
Quote from: molasar on Aug 17, 2021, 04:53:54 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 17, 2021, 03:57:01 PM
But is it bad if I enjoy it ? Unironically so ?

Ok, I'll ask it that way: why Isolation's gameplay ISN'T good ?

Where did I say that it is bad because you enjoy it. What other games do you enjoy with FPS hiding mechanics where other elements of gameplay are afterthought fillers?

Because hiding mechanics on its own are not compelling. Especially in first person view where you can't see if your character is visible for enemies or not.

Also its collectathon of resources, crafting and shooting mechanics are more like fillers than properly refined part of the game. Not to mention it is not clear what really is interactive without getting closer to objects and augmented reality indicator.

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 17, 2021, 04:05:18 PM
What is it with the outstandingly bad takes changing the topic of threads for this game? First we have the "aliens aren't tall enough", then the "aliens sound bad", and now we have a "isolation isn't actually good" one, Jesus

No A:Iso but its gameplay.

Yeah no, A:I is fine thanks. You just don't like videogames. XD

(that was a little joke btw)

Yes, its fine Alien 1979 interactive cinematic experience.

But no amount of feelings can change unappealing gameplay mechanics and loop into appealing ones.

PVTDukeMorrison

What is it with the outstandingly bad takes changing the topic of threads for this game? First we have the "aliens aren't tall enough", then the "aliens sound bad", and now we have a "isolation isn't actually good" one, Jesus
It's happened with both Colonial marines and isolation before they came out too, just ignore it

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Aug 17, 2021, 05:26:53 PM
It's happened with both Colonial marines and isolation before they came out too, just ignore it
If Colonial Marines did one thing right it was the Xenomorph sounds

molasar

molasar

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 17, 2021, 05:07:26 PM
If Alien Isolation was in third person it would not be scary at all. Having to use your sight while risking being seen by the alien is great, it's part of the design of the gameplay, which is good by itself, I don't get this argument, the game is meant to make you be smart and stealthy, if you want piss easy stealth game that tells you what you need from a mile away, you can play Metal Gear
or sales are not a result of it's quality, but place and time.

Nah, third person games are scary as well. And you just described cinematic experience, not proper gameplay.
In regards to MGSV it is not easy. But it has a proper gameplay with proper feedback. Thus no confusing like A:Iso is.

The reason why it didn't sell well is because it came right after Colonial Marines, a game that to this day haunts this franchise. It also got bad reviews by channels that straight up lied about it like IGN and Red Letter Media, the game's poor sales are not a result of it's quality, but place and time.

Nonsense. ACM never made me not wanting good games. And I have never heard other people saying such things. It is just an unverified excuse.

Yes, reviews have impact too but we do not live in the 90s anymore, so everyone with internet access can check what gameplay is about. Yet the access to it did not help the game either.

Just FYI AFTE is the best Alien franchise based game since Alien Trilogy (1996) IMO.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: molasar on Aug 17, 2021, 05:44:30 PM
or sales are not a result of it's quality, but place and time.

Nah, third person games are scary as well. And you just described cinematic experience, not proper gameplay.
In regards to MGSV it is not easy. But it has a proper gameplay with proper feedback. Thus no confusing like A:Iso is.

Nonsense. ACM never made me not wanting good games. And I have never heard other people saying such things. It is just an unverified excuse.

Yes, reviews have impact too but we do not live in the 90s anymore, so everyone with internet access can check what gameplay is about. Yet the access to it did not help the game either.

Just FYI AFTE is the best Alien franchise based game since Alien Trilogy (1996) IMO.

If you say you never saw people say "dont buy X alien game because Colonial marines" then you are either blind or trolling.

Kradan

Kradan

I must confess, I love RLM. But their Isolation review - that I can't forgive them

molasar, could you please explain in simple terms what is proper gameplay with proper feedback ? What makes gameplay mechanics appealing ? What is gameplay loop ? I would genuinely like to know

molasar

molasar

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 17, 2021, 06:06:46 PM
If you say you never saw people say "dont buy X alien game because Colonial marines" then you are either blind or trolling.

Yes, I never saw people say this. Could you show me such comments?

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: molasar on Aug 17, 2021, 06:20:32 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 17, 2021, 06:06:46 PM

Yes, I never saw people say this. Could you show me such comments?
Hard to find in Isolation videos, but it's easy to find similar comments when relating to Fireteam.

Like I said, Colonial Marines haunts this franchise till today.

If 8 years later people can't get over it, what makes you think that 1 year after ACM Isolation would be treated any better?

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 17, 2021, 06:16:43 PM

molasar, could you please explain in simple terms what is proper gameplay with proper feedback ? What makes gameplay mechanics appealing ? What is gameplay loop ? I would genuinely like to know

It means that the game is build around core gameplay, not other way around. So choosing something that is unappealing or does not work as a game with clear rules has its consequences.
Proper feedback is about how you control your own character or other object and how other elements respond to your action. In design a proper feedback should be given through various indicators. Graphical elements themselves, sound cues, HUD, etc.

Gameplay mechanics are enjoyable if their control is responsive and are supported with proper feedback.

A repetitive cycle in game design at its core, e.g.,  you fight various swarms of Xenos in case of AFTE. Only environment settings are changing. Everything else is a filler.

BTW you do not seem to be a long time gamer if you ask me these questions.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: molasar on Aug 17, 2021, 06:38:26 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 17, 2021, 06:16:43 PM

It means that the game is build around core gameplay, not other way around. So choosing something that is unappealing or does not work as a game with clear rules has its consequences.
Proper feedback is about how you control your own character or other object and how other elements respond to your action. In design a proper feedback should be given through various indicators. Graphical on elements themselves, sound cues, HUD, etc.

Gameplay mechanics are enjoyable if they control is responsive and are supported with proper feedback.

A repetitive cycle in game design at its core, e.g.,  you fight various swarms of Xenos in case of AFTE. Only environment settings are changing. Everything else is a filler.

BTW you do not seem to be a long time gamer if you ask me these questions.

Thank you for your response. Yes, you're right, I'm not much of a gamer. I can probably count games I really dedicated some time playing with my one hand

molasar

molasar

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 17, 2021, 06:37:52 PM

Hard to find in Isolation videos, but it's easy to find similar comments when relating to Fireteam.

Like I said, Colonial Marines haunts this franchise till today.

If 8 years later people can't get over it, what makes you think that 1 year after ACM Isolation would be treated any better?

But no comment says what you mentioned. Just people saying that they do not want to pre-order anything, disappointed because AFTE is not A:Iso2, talking about bad ACM memories, hoping that AFTE is not another ACM.

Kradan

Kradan

molasar, sorry if I'm becoming an annoyance, but I still don't quite get how all of what you've written doesn't apply to Isolation ? Like, I've never felt that there wasn't enough response to my actions in the game. I enjoy hiding behind boxes, under the tables, in the lockers, collecting resources, crafting various devices and use them to draw Alien's attention or fight hostile survivors and synths - doesn't that make game mechanics appealing ?.

Hemi

Hemi

It's not for you to decide if a game is unappealing molasar, gameplay wise or not. Stating this as fact is a bit "Trumpisch" too... srry m8.

If you mean unappealing to you personal then sure!  Not all Aliens/AVP/Predator games can please everyone. Simple fact is 2.1 million (thats only the first 8 months btw) found it quite good, and metacritic paints a very nice picture too... specially for a horror survival game. People still post youtube vids of gameplay and encounters with the Alien. Because... well.... it's a fantastic Alien game.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed