Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 05, 2019, 06:37:28 PM

Author
Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending (Read 46,307 times)

HashTag_TheSwag

Yeah no, clinging to the "we tried to do something different but fans always hate that" is just an excuse. The movie's idea's (both new and old) overall didn't work. That's why most people (fans as well as the general audience) trashed the film, not just those "toxic fans".
I'm all for the hate that this film receives (not when it's targeted at those who aren't responsible for it), it truly deserves it, they butchered the series.
The Predator killer = The franchise Killer.

XenoHunter99

Fans are not kind to movies they care about that don't make the right moves. People who work on those movies don't enjoy the criticism. I think they perceive criticism as toxicity, whether it actually is or not. For the most part, a lot of the recent entries (and even the older entries) in my favorite series have made a lot of wrong moves. I hoped The Predator would be good, but I expected it to be bad. And it is. Too bad, but the silliness about the endings is just icing on the cake.

I think the Alien and the Predator both have the same problem: The directors charged with their care don't seem to know what to do with them (or no longer want to do anything with them). So the title creatures live better in our memories and sometimes the EU. That extends to Star Wars universe, too. THe new movies can't seem to approach (let alone rise above) the standards set by the two oldest movies. Does that also sound familiar? 'Cause I'd say Alien and Predator series have the same problems.

ToxicFan#1029108

Thomas Dekker wrote a terrible script that was turned into a terrible movie by his bestie Shane Black. These two made a movie so terrible it has probably crashed the Predator franchise for all time, a feat not even the brothers Straus could accomplish with AvPR. Sorry if me saying that hurts anyone's tender hearts but that's a fact. It's not open for debate no matter how much you may want it to be, and if me or anyone else telling it like it is makes us toxic than I for one will gladly be toxic. You can call me and the other critics of this movie whatever you want to try and devalue our opinions and make yourselves feel better for backing the wrong horse, but at the end of the day the enormity of Shane Black and Thomas Dekker's complete failure is evident. It's right there, larger than life on the big screen.

Or at least it was for a few weeks, before it got booted off the screens because nobody wanted to watch it.

Huggs

Quote from: matthewjn on Jan 05, 2019, 11:46:09 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jan 05, 2019, 11:35:15 PM
Quote from: matthewjn on Jan 05, 2019, 11:16:23 PM
Seriously? Mind the toxic fans? What a joke. You don't get to treat people how you want to treat them just because you're the hand that feeds them.

I'm going to assume you're one of those toxic fans since you're actually trying to defend them.

Easy now, there's no need for that. I'm saying he should avoid using terms like "toxic fans" when referring to people who are critical of the film, because that's a crap-load of people at this point, and not just folks who act hatefully. And like it or not, those toxic fans are part of the audience that go to see the movies, which (in turn) gives the studio's the money they pay him with. If nobody went to see movies, Hollywood would go bye bye in no time. It's a cash business, but it's the audience's cash. Hence, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

You don't insult or blame any portion of your audience...ever. It's bad for business.

If you're not attacking any of the filmmakers saying things like "f you because the film sucks." "Go to hell" etc etc. then there's no need to get defensive when he says "toxic fans". You can still let them know the films sucks and express your disappointment while being level-headed.

And like it or not, toxic fans don't get a pass for their toxic behavior nor will they ever. If people get upset when toxic people get called out, they're part of the problem.

I understand where you're coming from, and I see clearly the point you're making. I agree, there is no place whatsoever within the framework of constructive conversation, for vile and hateful rhetoric. Nobody who engages in such childish behavior should get a pass.

It is my opinion, however, that when he says "to have it trashed by toxic fans who don't have the first clue how hard it is to get anything on the screen, well...that hurts..." he's being unfair, because alot of people are trashing this film, not just these "toxic fans" he's referring to. To say it in this way, risks lumping in too many people who do not deserve to be spoken of that way. He's generalizing, and that's both weak and improper.

matthewjn

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 05, 2019, 11:59:06 PM
Quote from: matthewjn on Jan 05, 2019, 11:46:09 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jan 05, 2019, 11:35:15 PM
Quote from: matthewjn on Jan 05, 2019, 11:16:23 PM
Seriously? Mind the toxic fans? What a joke. You don't get to treat people how you want to treat them just because you're the hand that feeds them.

I'm going to assume you're one of those toxic fans since you're actually trying to defend them.

Easy now, there's no need for that. I'm saying he should avoid using terms like "toxic fans" when referring to people who are critical of the film, because that's a crap-load of people at this point, and not just folks who act hatefully. And like it or not, those toxic fans are part of the audience that go to see the movies, which (in turn) gives the studio's the money they pay him with. If nobody went to see movies, Hollywood would go bye bye in no time. It's a cash business, but it's the audience's cash. Hence, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

You don't insult or blame any portion of your audience...ever. It's bad for business.

If you're not attacking any of the filmmakers saying things like "f you because the film sucks." "Go to hell" etc etc. then there's no need to get defensive when he says "toxic fans". You can still let them know the films sucks and express your disappointment while being level-headed.

And like it or not, toxic fans don't get a pass for their toxic behavior nor will they ever. If people get upset when toxic people get called out, they're part of the problem.

I understand where you're coming from, and I see clearly the point you're making. I agree, there is no place whatsoever within the framework of constructive conversation, for vile and hateful rhetoric. Nobody who engages in such childish behavior should get a pass.

It is my opinion, however, that when he says "to have it trashed by toxic fans who don't have the first clue how hard it is to get anything on the screen, well...that hurts..." he's being unfair, because alot of people are trashing this film, not just these "toxic fans" he's referring to. To say it in this way, risks lumping in too many people who do not deserve to be spoken of that way. He's generalizing, and that's both weak and improper.

But again, he said "by toxic fans", so it's only the toxic fans. He didn't say it simply because it was trashed.

Also (again), he mentioned he didn't like some stuff in the film. If these people think Fred was calling them toxic for simply disliking aspects of the film, then that would mean Fred was calling himself toxic too... Now, does that really make any sense for him to do that? No.

I don't think we're going to meet eye-to-eye because it seems like we're about to go in circles, so I'm going to agree to disagree. Have a good day/night.

The Old One

The Old One

He's generalizing, and that's both weak and improper.

Indeed, I've seen it happening a lot with major franchises recently.
The Director/writer will point to the worst detractor they can find;
then use them as a scapegoat-
to present all criticism towards
their work as invalid.

And frankly, Dekker isn't the most egregious.
There's others that are far, far worse.
A certain R.J comes to mind.

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 06, 2019, 12:15:08 AM
He's generalizing, and that's both weak and improper.

Indeed, I've seen it happening a lot with major franchises recently.
The Director/writer will point to the worst detractor they can find;
then use them as a scapegoat-
to present all criticism towards
their work as invalid.

And frankly, Dekker isn't the most egregious.
There's others that are far, far worse.
A certain R.J comes to mind.

Thank you.

whiterabbit

So um yea, who are these toxic fans. I wanna see a list.

Huggs

HashTag_TheSwag

Wow! that's like all twelve of us who regularly visit the site  :laugh:

Huggs

Quote from: HashTag_TheSwag on Jan 06, 2019, 01:02:52 AM

Breaking News: The 12 Toxic Fans responsible for the downfall of Shane Black's latest film have now been identified. A press release from the group details their long standing commitment towards destroying the films reputation, along with a 1 item list of demands that includes returning the Predator Franchise to its roots. A spokesman for the group declined any further comment.

This follows on the heels of events that took place earlier today, in which Shane Black and Fred Dekker took to twitter to discuss the (then) supposed subversive group. "They're so mean", Dekker was quoted as saying.

matthewjn

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 06, 2019, 01:09:18 AM
Quote from: HashTag_TheSwag on Jan 06, 2019, 01:02:52 AM

Breaking News: The 12 Toxic Fans responsible for the downfall of Shane Black's latest film have now been identified. A press release from the group details their long standing commitment towards destroying the films reputation, along with a 1 item list of demands that includes returning the Predator Franchise to its roots. A spokesman for the group declined any further comment.

This follows on the heels of events that took place earlier today, in which Shane Black and Fred Dekker took to twitter to discuss the (then) supposed subversive group. "They're so mean", Dekker was quoted as saying.

BREAKING NEWS
Fans don't like being called out for being toxic. Clearly they can dish it out, but can't take it. Why do they think they can say whatever they want without any sort of repercussions? We'll have more on the topic at the 11:00 pm news. Back to you, Karen.

;D

The Old One

The Old One

Poor Fred Dekker demolished.

:laugh:

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 06, 2019, 01:25:56 AM
Poor Fred Dekker demolished.

https://y.yarn.co/a4aa8b71-2a8a-4014-ab3d-ff9194bb5934_text_hi.gif
:laugh:

I don't know how he gets up in the morning. Why, just yesterday some kid from Massapequa used the word "poop" when describing the plot. Poor kid, little did he know there would be...repercussions!

D88M

The good old blaming the fans because they did not liked the objectively terrible movie you made.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed