Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, May 03, 2020, 02:03:59 AM

Author
Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens? (Read 36,102 times)

TC

Quote from: judge death on May 05, 2021, 10:13:01 PM
2: Make it franchise related, steelpunk or whatever you want to call it, like disney did with star wars: amke it to a style and keep technology in line with what we saw in the movies and ignore real life technology is way more advanced in certain areas.

-- my preferred option, which is the direction Alien: Isolation took - a deliberate retro "industrial-tech" style.

It provides a nostalgia that I enjoy but it also separates the Alien-look from all the other futuristic sci-fi that is currently out there. I'm sure you're familiar with the production design style that's so ubiquitous these days: free-floating see-through holographic GUIs, often in 3D; flat-panel all-in-one haptic displays. I feel like I've seen enough of this.

In The Expanse they have the space ship interiors that are roomy and bright, and others that are dark and laden with pipework, ducts and cable trunking. The two styles distinguish between the well-funded and modern Earth/Mars ships, and the older, jerry-rigged Belter ships. I prefer the latter; it's the WWII German U-boat look.

You probably know the story about Ridley Scott inspecting the Nostromo bridge for the first time and instructing that the ceilings be dropped by a couple of feet. He wanted a claustrophobic, cramped in feeling. Afterwards, the cast and crew were constantly bumping their heads on the ceiling fixtures. This is ideal! It's the best way to convey the idea that you are in an enclosed pressure vessel where atmosphere is a precious and highly controlled commodity. All spaceship set should have ceilings, and low enough that they are constantly in frame!

In The Expanse (season 5), Drummer's ship is like this. It is strongly reminiscent of Alien. If only they had spurned the large, flat panel displays and gone for discrete controls with hardware knobs and levers and switches and buttons.

TC

BlueMarsalis79

I'm glad The Expanse's got it's own aesthetic in places, if they did exactly as you suggest here, you will essentially end up with Alien and it's already more than close for comfort in a lot of areas.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 06, 2021, 06:22:25 AM
Doubt it.

Even with the APC's firepower and close air support from the dropship?

BlueMarsalis79

In such terms I think I'd write it to have them burrow, just having them be able to be wiped out by bombardment's so dull, they have to force people to get up close and personal somehow.

TC

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 06, 2021, 06:35:58 AM
I'm glad The Expanse's got it's own aesthetic in places, if they did exactly as you suggest here, you will essentially end up with Alien and it's already more than close for comfort in a lot of areas.

Yeah. I think I might have posted here before about how easily I thought The Expanse could have been an Alien TV show. On the one hand I get to enjoy a series that I really like, but on the other, I'm annoyed Fox dragged their heels for so long they let The Expanse get there first.

TC

SiL

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 06, 2021, 06:56:59 AM
just having them be able to be wiped out by bombardment's so dull,
They were wiped out by a piece of malfunctioning hardware.

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah I'm aware it's something I'm not entirely fond of.

SiL

That they're not ... what, immortal or something? ???

The whole point is that they're killable. It's just hard.

BlueMarsalis79

Because it turns them into a pest honestly, a planetary scale one though granted if things go awry, but my point being I'd prefer them still be formidable even if you do everything right.

SiL

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 06, 2021, 07:50:42 AM
but my point being I'd prefer them still be formidable even if you do everything right.
Assume Gorman was competent for a moment; the marines don't go in, but they establish the presence of the hive. The APC can technically fit down there, but again -- assume Gorman's competent, they don't drive down to start blasting.

Their only real option to deal with the Aliens was ever only to nuke the things. It takes a pretty formidable threat for there to be no clear middle ground between "we get massacred" and "we obliterate the site from orbit".

BlueMarsalis79

"Obliterate the site from orbit and even then risk bringing something back with us if we touch down."

Yeah I guess that's pretty final.

It just becomes a narrative issue for me when you take that and extrapolate that to the rest of the Alien universe, it inevitably becomes predictable, you send in your most advanced technology available and if you succeed you win if you do not you retreat and bombard.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 05, 2021, 09:33:34 PM
I rate Ripley's look from best to wost in this way:

1~ Alien
2~ Resurrection
3~ AlienĀ³
4~ Aliens

Of course this is just personal taste.  :laugh:

At first I had thought you were ranking movies so I thought:

Spoiler

[close]

As for the Ripley looks: I'm not sure how I would rank them (never gave it a thought tbh) but I damn sure know I don't like her look in Resurrection. It's too much of contrast for me in comparision to how she looked in previous movies

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 05, 2021, 01:54:44 PM
It's not an issue, in my opinion anyway, because trying to predict the future's ultimately futile it's what it reflects in us that's interesting.

SM

Quote from: SiL on May 06, 2021, 08:03:53 AM
Quote from: Trash Queen on May 06, 2021, 07:50:42 AM
but my point being I'd prefer them still be formidable even if you do everything right.
Assume Gorman was competent for a moment; the marines don't go in, but they establish the presence of the hive. The APC can technically fit down there, but again -- assume Gorman's competent, they don't drive down to start blasting.

Their only real option to deal with the Aliens was ever only to nuke the things. It takes a pretty formidable threat for there to be no clear middle ground between "we get massacred" and "we obliterate the site from orbit".

The problem is they have to try and find survivors and no amount of competence will stop them getting in harms way even if they're able keep their bullets.  Even if they could use PUPs to map the thing remotely and establish the presence of the hive, it'd probably be too difficult to pinpoint whether there's any living humans because it'd pick up the Aliens life signs.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 05, 2021, 09:33:34 PM
I rate Ripley's look from best to wost in this way:

1~ Alien
2~ Resurrection
3~ AlienĀ³
4~ Aliens

Of course this is just personal taste.  :laugh:

Just too poofy for your taste?  :laugh:

Kradan

Blasphemy, absolute blasphemy, I'm  telling ya

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed